Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Obituary - Vernon Smith of Invicta

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

My sympathies go out to Kerry. Since I moved out of London I ceased shopping at The Signal Box in Rochester, where she (and I believe Vernon) had been involved, and unfortunately have never managed to make it to Invicta. However, if Invicta attend a show I pop by their stand and say hello to Kerry and the rest.

Very sorry to hear this sad news. I knew that Vernon had been very ill over the last couple of years, but hoped that he would improve enough to stabilise for a reasonable period.

We always looked forward to seeing them at exhibitions to find out what new limited editions they were going to commission.

Sending our sympathies from all the members of Southwark and District Model Railway Club to Kerry and the children.

Ray B

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

23 hours ago, AY Mod said:

It is with great regret that I have to tell you that Vernon Smith, of Invicta Model Rail passed way in the early hours of Thursday 30th January after a two year battle with illness. Vernon was well known within the hobby having worked for many years at Beatties, Holborn before managing branches at Croydon, Lakeside and Romford. He helped build up Modelzone in Bluewater before becoming Operations Manager.  He opened Invicta Model Rail in 2013 with his partner Kerry.

He was the instigator of many Limited Edition Models including all of the Bachmann RTC and Royal Mail TPO's. In his final months he managed to complete his third book on Buses.

I know Vernon has been unwell for a time and wonderfully supported by Kerry, friends and family. I'll certainly miss some of the spirited conversations that we've had over the years about the trade and people and I'm so sorry to have heard this news. My thoughts are with Kerry - she will, I'm sure, carry on those spirited conversations.

I Was told this very sad new  on the day of his passing  away and was shocked by the news i was fortunate to work with Vernon in the days of modelzone,  He was a amazing guy to work with  he will sorely be missed by the model railway community  my thoughts go to kerry and the children at the hard time