New Build

After first trying this layout idea back in 2014, I've decided to give it another go, now that I have gained a lot more knowledge and practical skill since then I should be capable of building it to a much better standard.

It's in the early stages now with baseboard construction almost done. Track laying has begun after much drawing and mapping out.

Background 

The layout will run Peco code 75 throughout, some bullhead rail and be fully DCC (NCE). Theme will be early 2010's Northern Rail, occasional GBRf freight services and WCR trains will make an appearance. 

As of June 2020:

the scenic area boundary has now changed to the Carleton Road Bridge, reducing scenic area length from 12ft to 8ft. This is because the frame has been re-purposed as an off-scene area. The bridge also makes a convenient scenic break. The area that has been lost did not really add much to the layout overall and I don't think that removing it will detract from the station.

Any suggestions are welcome, hope you will be following my progress...

SAM_5696.JPG

SAM_5730.JPG

SAM_5732.JPG

Edited by armleyroad
Layout name changed to Skipton Middle Junction
  • Like 6

I've done a lot this week with the soldering iron, glue and  rail cutters, track laying is almost complete and I'm now ready to start wiring it all up to a DCC bus. 

A few items of typical Skipton traction are also on the work list, no progress with the 321 but the decals are at least on order.

The quarry branch is the only section not to be fixed as it's raised on 9mm ply, still under construction.

Here are some photos, any suggestions welcome...

SAM_5744.JPG

SAM_5740.JPG

• Like 3

This looks a interesting project, Will be watching your progress and probably nicking any useful ideas. 

On 19/02/2020 at 21:59, armleyroad said:

This week I've made progress with the DCC bus and points wiring, it's nearly all finished now and trains will be running soon.

The backscene construction and landscape is taking shape as well. 

I have a few rolling stock items to finish off before the weekend which i'll post here...

SAM_5786.JPG

SAM_5787.JPG

SAM_5789.JPG

Interesting project. Timber baseboards look well....

Is it to be a 'exibition' layout or stay at home layout? Look forward to further updates...

Nice to see a layout with a bit of fizzy knitting !

As it happens just dragging my butt out of bed and walking down to skipton station to pick a couple of tickets up...its 30mins walk down to station so will be watching progress of this layout.

G

On 04/03/2020 at 08:58, bradfordbuffer said:

Interesting project. Timber baseboards look well....

Is it to be a 'exibition' layout or stay at home layout? Look forward to further updates...

Nice to see a layout with a bit of fizzy knitting !

As it happens just dragging my butt out of bed and walking down to skipton station to pick a couple of tickets up...its 30mins walk down to station so will be watching progress of this layout.

G

Thank you for following, it's designed for the baseboards to separate like an ex. layout but at the moment I don't plan on taking it out.

I will be back in May to continue on with the build and projects...

• Like 1

Now that I'm back home, the layout is progressing well. 

I am preparing to install the signals, this will be a big wiring project involving relays and I'm looking forward to having them operational.

The rolling stock is being worked on too, with a Bachmann 158 to be DCC fitted and other trains that need weathering.

Stay well, more on the way, scenery has started.

SAM_5854.JPG

SAM_5853.JPG

• Like 2

I came on this thread thinking it might be based in the steam era but it looks interesting enough to hold may attention anyway, so thanks for that.  Ready for more when you are, please. 

Steve.

Posted (edited)

Hello there,

a significant update today,  ballasting has started now with the construction of the platforms base. The Absolute Aspects signals have been installed and I've got a few trains undergoing work too.

SAM_5931.JPG.824256f6f17b7ab32874d802fddcb53b.JPG

These include 150201, a  recently purchased model, converted using Railtec transfers. Does anyone know where I can buy the Bachmann detail pack for this?

I'm putting together a running session video, tomorrow - once ballasting ops are done...

SAM_5924.JPG.428762e32c7824c193f624418975d112.JPG

Edited by armleyroad

Looking good Edward

You should be able to get the detail pack from Bachmann service department

Andrew

Temporary installation of Peco catenary to check positioning etc... before committing to ballasting the area.

Some modifications need to be made for accuracy, I aim to scratch build some larger spans for the station area and one for behind the road bridge. They still need painting and white ID plates making up...

SAM_5942.JPG.6405c9e935f7478e2c6bd9ee4616428c.JPG

• Like 2

An interesting start, you aren’t hanging about are you?

Looking forward to following this one.

• Thanks 1

Another week of solid progress on the layout, the A.A. signals are wired in for DCC and more scenic work has been completed, ballasting, which I don't enjoy at all and weathering.

This view of 47237 won't be possible when the platform 2 subway is built...

SAM_5986.JPG.43d3bb6af61a9358241d32241deb7b8d.JPG

The North end has changed dramatically. Now the scenic area will end at the Carleton Rd bridge.

SAM_6000.JPG.8f1fb2207d3562eae461d34184fa7cdb.JPG

A few mini side projects still on the go...

SAM_5999.JPG.4c90bca51441b4220f5070b7539aaa52.JPG

• Like 3

Just picked up this thread, looking good.  I have been missing using Skipton station since lockdown, and the sound of the night-time quarry train on the Grassington branch.

2 hours ago, lofty.ian said:

Just picked up this thread, looking good.  I have been missing using Skipton station since lockdown, and the sound of the night-time quarry train on the Grassington branch.

Thanks, I hope to capture the look of Skipton with this layout. It's going to be a real challenge though to build the station canopy!

Hi there, a quick question if I may.  In the original post you said the road bridge would cross the middle of the scenic section.  In Friday's post you said that changes mean the scenic area ends at the Carlton Road bridge.

I wondered what the reason was for this change, was it visual in that the bridge will make a good break, or operational in better use of the space beyond the bridge.

14 minutes ago, lofty.ian said:

Hi there, a quick question if I may.  In the original post you said the road bridge would cross the middle of the scenic section.  In Friday's post you said that changes mean the scenic area ends at the Carlton Road bridge.

I wondered what the reason was for this change, was it visual in that the bridge will make a good break, or operational in better use of the space beyond the bridge.

Hi Ian,

your comment has prompted me to change the first post, it's all explained there.

Cheers, Edward.

I already follow you on YouTube will also be following here with interest 

david

• Thanks 1

Good Evening,

I've decided to sell my Hattons 66 as I want to collect more Bachmann 66's in the older unique liveries to share running on a British Gypsum train. I've got a few locos coming and looking forward to running them on completed track loops which I should be able to start next week.

Work on the station completed this week:

SAM_6022.JPG.b6ff8bee1e3735d882fa788e3cf5990b.JPG

Bachmann's 66: I find it easier to get on with, they've also done most of the possible liveries you could want:

SAM_6019.JPG.47c4e166556964cf4dfe9c02da12e912.JPG

Hope you have a good week and a better second half of the year!

• Like 2

Station is coming on nicely. I think you have a point with the Bachmann 66 I never had any issues with them and in my opinion the only difference that bothered me was the dcc independent tail lights which can be done with a bit of know how anyway 

david

• Like 1

Original type Bachmann Class 158 fault repair. The cause was a broken contact strip. Now I've wired it for DCC and it seems to be running fine.

SAM_6025.JPG.bb9a88a7333e7bb7cd671ad45eaaec50.JPG

I plan to re-livery my second 158791 into West Yorkshire 158901 or PTEG livery 158784, if I can ever get hold of the transfers...  Still no luck finding the class 150 detailing parts.

SAM_6027.JPG.9bc207415a6fe630e260f8bb0fcdf5a4.JPG

• Like 1