3d printed underlay with shoulder

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I don't understand why it would quieten running.  3D printed materials are solid, so there's no sound deadening qualities.

I'm sure I must have misunderstood?

Steve

• Like 1

As the infill would only be 5% I'm thinking it would be mostly air. So wouldn't that give you quieter running? Tbh I've not made enough of it for an entire length of flexible track to test it out yet. But how would you successfully measure the difference anyway? Maybe by recording a video perhaps? 

Was that resin or filament you used?  I'll assume resin for this so I'd be interested in much resin was used to print one section?  What's the length of the part?  How big is your layout?  Then you'll know how many bottles of resin you will have to buy to finish your layout (that's if you don't get any failed prints) and is that cheaper than buying cork?

Also, your shoulder is too high, maybe hold it in place between the sleepers, that way when you put ballast over it, it won't be too high.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, regme said:

Was that resin or filament you used? 

I'm guessing filament, due to the layer lines.  Resin tends not to produce such a rough finish.  Even if it is PLA (or similar), it ain't going to be cheap.  :o

Steve