The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Star Trek: Picard

PenrithBeacon

I am watching. It’s nice to see him back, and I’ve always enjoyed the formula s as enemies, but it feels very far away from Star Trek to me. 

I think it’s the season-long stories. They interfere with the episodic nature of the series, which is one of the things I loved so much about it as a kid.

Still, we are only two episodes in, so I shall give it a chance. 

For those not in the know, it’s shown on Amazon Prime Video in the U.K., do you do have to pay for the service. Although amazon do do a one month free trial, so it may be worth waiting until it’s all been broadcast and then binging on them.

I'm watching, overall I think it good.  I am taken aback by the extreme language though.  I never feel that sort of thing is appropriate for TV, and I'm no stranger to it.  Seems to me that there are people who won't watch because they are offended by the swearing.

John

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

And to think that they once considered the Original Series cast too old when they were in their 50s.

We now have Patrick Stewart at a sprightly 79....

Gets away with it due to having looked old from the start!

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, brossard said:

I'm watching, overall I think it good.  I am taken aback by the extreme language though.  I never feel that sort of thing is appropriate for TV, and I'm no stranger to it.  Seems to me that there are people who won't watch because they are offended by the swearing.

Sweary Trek is still relatively tame. I recently suggested my Doctor Who mad daughter watch Torchwood. I'd quite forgotten what that was like...

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Paul13 said:

I think it's really good so far.  Certainly much better than Star Trek: Discovery which is garbage. Picard was always the best captain.

I seem to remember something about airlines referencing Picard when training their own captains.

1 hour ago, Steamport Southport said:

I remember him when he had hair....

Jason

I don't believe yer Jase, it's a syrup. He looked the same back in nineteenfrozentodeath as he does now...

20200204_171307.jpg.cae5ff1c8d2d9712f3a51b11cfcd4a34.jpg

...in the greatest film ever made, oh yes.

"Not in the mood? Moods are for cattle, and love play." That looks sooo wrong written down!

C6T.

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

58 minutes ago, Paul13 said:

I think it's really good so far.  Certainly much better than Star Trek: Discovery which is garbage. Picard was always the best captain.

Mmm...I binged the first season of Discovery and quite liked it, but it requires investment in time to keep abreast of it. However the tenuous implementation of a human Spock step-child didn't sit well with me but more than that it soon fell into my episodic detested trio of writing cop-out lazyness that has put me off much of the Star Trek canon.

1) Alternate reality 

2) Holodeck buggery

3) Sodding Q

I realise I may well be alone in my dislike of the above, I don't profess to be the greatest Trek fan, love the original cast films and really liked Voyager but beyond those I'll take it or leave it.

C6T. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Well I am a fan of Star Trek - all versions & just finished watching Discovery Season 2  on Netflix and now Picard on Amazon Prime.

Yes it is different to the older Trek shows but I enjoy it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Classsix T said:

Mmm...I binged the first season of Discovery and quite liked it, but it requires investment in time to keep abreast of it. However the tenuous implementation of a human Spock step-child didn't sit well with me but more than that it soon fell into my episodic detested trio of writing cop-out lazyness that has put me off much of the Star Trek canon.

1) Alternate reality 

2) Holodeck buggery

3) Sodding Q

I realise I may well be alone in my dislike of the above, I don't profess to be the greatest Trek fan, love the original cast films and really liked Voyager but beyond those I'll take it or leave it.

C6T. 

Q is a strange one.

While obviously he is meant to be as infuriating as possible, he does actually introduce various captains to potential major threats, well before the Federation ought to. A case of point being the Borg, so that the Federation can work out a strategy for dealing with them.

Where would the Federation be without Q, assimilated like every other species they meet.

So while the court scenes where Picard is on trial for the claim that humanity is a dangerous race and should be destroyed, are annoying, but are a key part in the further rise of Picard.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Q is a strange one.

While obviously he is meant to be as infuriating as possible, he does actually introduce various captains to potential major threats, well before the Federation ought to. A case of point being the Borg, so that the Federation can work out a strategy for dealing with them.

Where would the Federation be without Q, assimilated like every other species they meet.

So while the court scenes where Picard is on trial for the claim that humanity is a dangerous race and should be destroyed, are annoying, but are a key part in the further rise of Picard.

From a performance point of view, the Q episodes have been some of the best acted of the lot, it just presumes much and I sigh if one comes on.

The holodeck episodes can be tiresome but again I have to admit the one where Moriarty "escapes" is a fine story, asking as it does questions of sentience in artificial intelligence (something Robert Picardo has done well as the EMH on Voyager).

Alternate reality is my biggest gripe as it automatically assumes the same group of people would still be together. Enterprise was the worst for this, not helped by the fact Scott Bakula can't act.

IMO, natch. C6T. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I particularly enjoyed the episode where Q showed Picard what he would have become if he had not taken chances when young, ie a lowly crew member instead of Captain of the Enterprise; It gave Patrick Stewart a chance to really show off his acting skills !

I find Discovery enjoyable if taken as a stand-alone series, but how it fits into the timeline baffles me; IIRC it is set well before the original Star Trek series but everything in it, from Starship to uniforms, is way more advanced. And, I have to say, the Klingons are just ridiculous.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, caradoc said:

I find Discovery enjoyable if taken as a stand-alone series, but how it fits into the timeline baffles me; IIRC it is set well before the original Star Trek series but everything in it, from Starship to uniforms, is way more advanced. And, I have to say, the Klingons are just ridiculous.

What irked me about Discovery was the way the saucer section spins round and around for no particular reason when they use their fungi powered hyperdrive.

I like the way DS9 addressed their own Klingon differences in the Tribble episode. They asked Worf why the other Klingons didn't have Cornish pasty heads and he grumpily replied 'We do not talk about that'.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, caradoc said:

That doesn't bother me, because there's just no way of getting around how dated the original Trek looks. I like to try to view it just as through a filter of the TV technology available at the time, so it doesn't bother me any more than black and white footage does, and a modern prequel to something black and white would still be in colour. It's made a little awkward at times when the original series designs appear in newer series, but I usually manage to keep willing suspension of disbelief going in those cases.

Whilst I never thought much of Enterprise one thing I did like was the design of it, trying to find a way of looking more advanced than now (or the time it was made anyway) but acknowledging that it had to be less futuristic than the other series, so incorporated some current stuff without making it look too shoehorned in. Although doubtless that'll also make it look just as dated in years to come.

Edited by Reorte
  • Like 1

Has he had a catchphrase upgrade?

When the ship won't move, to the man in the iron eye mask 'Make it go'.

When in bed with the eyecandy 'Make it slow'

When seeing his triochologist 'Make it grow'.

When the traditional northern hemisphere winter festival occurs 'Make it snow'.

Anyone, do mention if some alternate Q buggery appears, (thanks C6T) that might be interesting and different...

• Funny 3

19 hours ago, Classsix T said:

1) Alternate reality 

2) Holodeck buggery

3) Sodding Q 

A bit like some spices, a little can enliven a dish whilst too much quickly becomes unpleasant.

The episodes of Trek that disappointed me were the ones where the solutions were technological rather than requiring something from the characters. Voyager particularly fell into this trap, especially in its early stories. The later ones had the problem that half the stories revolved around 7-of-9 meaning most of the rest of the characters got little story development.

As for Q, the episode where he got turned into a mortal still ranks as one of my favourites.

Q: "What must I do to convince you people?" 

Worf: "Die!"

Q: "Oh, very clever, Worf. Eat any good books lately?"

:D