The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Star Trek: Picard

PenrithBeacon

• RMweb Premium

I find Amazon Prime to be good value. As well as the delivery benefit on shopping the streaming service is excellent with some great original stuff like The Man in the High Castle,  Grand Tour, Picard and the new series of The Expanse as well as plenty of good movie and older TV options such as South Park and the wonderful Parks & Recreation. We very rarely watch broadcast TV anymore, streaming is much more convenient and with much greater choice,  and the streaming services are now providing some excellent original content. 

• Agree 3

Recorded it and watched later last night.  Whilst I must admit to be  bit intrigued  by the potential plot I suspect last night will be the last time I bother to watch.  Again irritating PC, a continuing weak story line and this time 'let our emotions hang out'.  Also, since I recorded it I could work out the ratio of content to advertising.  20 mins of advertising in 60mins and if the prelude showing bits of previous episodes is included it is 25 min in 60 mins of action.  I know the advertising ratio seems to be consistently going up but for the shows I watch I think this is a new record. 

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Theakerr said:

Recorded it and watched later last night.  Whilst I must admit to be  bit intrigued  by the potential plot I suspect last night will be the last time I bother to watch.  Again irritating PC, a continuing weak story line and this time 'let our emotions hang out'.  Also, since I recorded it I could work out the ratio of content to advertising.  20 mins of advertising in 60mins and if the prelude showing bits of previous episodes is included it is 25 min in 60 mins of action.  I know the advertising ratio seems to be consistently going up but for the shows I watch I think this is a new record. 

What adverts?

And how did you record it?

Must say that I’m a little unhappy with the story direction myself. In particular the end of the unfortunate fellow at the beginning, who I was rather fond of (avoiding spoilers for those who haven’t watched) and I’m also growing weary of Star Trek series where the entire series is one story.

One of the things I loved about Star Trek was a new thing every episode, even within wider story arcs (DS9 dominion war for example) and I think that Discovery and Picard really aren’t in that vein.

• RMweb Gold

I think the series is improving and while I realise it's a none starfleet mission I would have liked to have seen some star ships but there seems to be none I guess they are all searching for strange new worlds or something! I guess such scenes would not have added to the story and pushed up the budget.

On 23/02/2020 at 00:45, Edge said:

One of the things I loved about Star Trek was a new thing every episode, even within wider story arcs (DS9 dominion war for example) and I think that Discovery and Picard really aren’t in that vein.

TV producers feel TV tastes have changed after Game of Thrones and tightly woven story arcs are what people want.

4 minutes ago, Karhedron said:

TV producers feel TV tastes have changed after Game of Thrones and tightly woven story arcs are what people want.

...and then knacker it all up at the end?

C6T (never watched it btw, "they" told me that's what happened). 

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

...and then knacker it all up at the end?

C6T (never watched it btw, "they" told me that's what happened). 

A problem with moving ahead faster than the books were?

There have been a few notable examples of long series with endings that left people rather unhappy though. Conversely it's hard to argue against the success of Game of Thrones.

• Agree 1

But that doesn't mean that everyone has to copy it.  That's just lack of imagination, which seems to be quite common in the film and TV industry these days.  (Witness the number of remakes of films that were perfectly good the first time round and which, despite modern visual effects and a contemporary "hook" to the story, hardly ever turn out anywhere near as good as the original, let alone better.)

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
51 minutes ago, ejstubbs said:

But that doesn't mean that everyone has to copy it.  That's just lack of imagination, which seems to be quite common in the film and TV industry these days.  (Witness the number of remakes of films that were perfectly good the first time round and which, despite modern visual effects and a contemporary "hook" to the story, hardly ever turn out anywhere near as good as the original, let alone better.)

True, but I've some sympathy with the fact that they do, at least until they go too far down that direction (third-rate remakes being the epitome of going too far in that direction). Films and TV shows are expensive things to make after all, so there's an understandable appeal to those holding the purse strings to look towards other things that have worked, even if they fail to recognise that can be a risk itself if it's too unimaginative.

There's also the question about where the line between inspiration and imitation lies.

1 hour ago, ejstubbs said:

If it's fashionable, then it will be copied. I like the idea of a series being developed over time but it does require a skill at story telling and scriptwriting that is very much greater than a stand alone episode style. I've just re-watched all five DVDs of Star Trek: Voyager Series 1 again and it's dreadful.

• Agree 1