The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Star Trek: Picard

PenrithBeacon

• RMweb Gold

I'm thoroughly enjoying Picard, well acted and not the first time there's swearing in Star Trek. It's written more like a novel than a TV show - hence the pacing and in a way in reminds me of the early seasons of the Expanse (big favourite of mine) were written.

There's certainly been a fair few Easter eggs for the die hard fans spot. Including a blink and you'll miss it cameo from the updated original Enterprise from Discovery, Vasquez Rocks (actually playing itself for once - rather than an Alien Planet), The Musketeers (from Reg Barclay's (Broccoli) first episode in season 3 of TNG and a nod to Santiago Cabrera (Captain Rios - he play Aramis in the Musketeers), the main theme and many more.

Something I spotted, why do Vulcan's need sunglasses on Earth? I smell a Mirror universe plot ;) 

There's a very nice throwaway line from Laris (the Irish Romulan) about Romulan foreheads with the pronounced ridges being Northerners. Slightly better than Worf's explanation for smooth headed Klingon's - it took 6 episodes of Season 4 of Enterprise get round to explain that one!

Seven's entrance in last week's episode was treat, though it was slightly spoilt by having her name in the  main title's - doh!

It took some time for me to warm to Discovery, season 2 was far better than Season 1 mainly because they got rid of the (Head Writers from season 1, early on in the production of  season 2) and because they gave the fan's what they's asked for one the show was first announced Pike, Number One (Una), Spock, the Enterprise and a return to the Talos star group (and seamlessly tied in original footage from the Cage/The Menagerie at the beginning of that episode..) , but that's spoiler's for those who are watching Discovery on E4 on a Sunday evening in the UK ;) 

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

There's a very nice throwaway line from Laris (the Irish Romulan) about Romulan foreheads with the pronounced ridges being Northerners. Slightly better than Worf's explanation for smooth headed Klingon's - it took 6 episodes of Season 4 of Enterprise get round to explain that one!

I preferred the DS9 handwave - Worf's "Yes they are Klingons, and we don't talk about it."

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

"Jean-Luc, blow up the damn ship!"

Probably my favourite scene in any Star Trek, a writing and acted tour de force. Moby Dick indeed.

Although Spock, after his attempted mind meld, explaining to Jim why V'ger lacks empathy is equally compelling.

Top class.

C6T. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

There's certainly been a fair few Easter eggs for the die hard fans spot. 

Very fast one I spotted yesterday watching (I think 4) when the synth was following across frame and listening to a line and gave that very quick sideway head tilt Data was famous for when he was puzzled by us humans, very blink and miss easy.

All in all its an interesting and watchable program, we’ve been saving a few to watch at a time because it jumps back and forth so much it’s like a washing machine with a duvet on spin :lol:

• Like 1

Oh, I meant to add...

If you were writing for Christopher Plummer as a Klingon fond of Shakespeare, wouldn't "Is this a dagger I see before me..?" be a better line to deliver as a doctored photon torpedo homes in on your cloaked bird-of-prey than what made the cut?

Always bugged me that one. 

C6T. 

Edited by Classsix T
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

And like me you remember Ms Ryan from her Photo-shoot for Lads mag FHM and how well she's aged ;) 

Ooh, never saw that one.

Jolene Blalock, T'pol in Enterprise (in Maxim or whatever) sure. Purely to understand this talented young woman and her approach to her craft, whilst in silver hotpants, obviously...can't remember much of the interview frankly.

C6T. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Classsix T said:

Ooh, never saw that one.

Jolene Blalock, T'pol in Enterprise (in Maxim or whatever) sure. Purely to understand this talented young woman and her approach to her craft, whilst in silver hotpants, obviously...can't remember much of the interview frankly.

C6T. 

Jolene did shoots for both FHM & Maxim, though on a few occasions wore less on the Enterprise - Carbon Creek springs to mind, though she was playing T'pol's ancestor..

As did Seven of Nine on Voyager, in one of the EMH's dreams/fantasies;) 

And let's not forget the controversial foot massage scene in The Price involving Deanna Troi... 

16 minutes ago, toboldlygo said:

Jolene did shoots for both FHM & Maxim, though on a few occasions wore less on the Enterprise - Carbon Creek springs to mind, though she was playing T'pol's ancestor..

As did Seven of Nine on Voyager, in one of the EMH's dreams/fantasies;) 

And let's not forget the controversial foot massage scene in The Price involving Deanna Troi... 

Dude, you're going down a rabbit hole I'll not follow (publicly)! 

C6T. 

• Funny 1

Desperately trying to drag things back on track to avoid rabbit holes I find it all rather frustrating (no, not Seven of Nine) with so much I want to watch being spread over so many subscription channels. I don't have an issue with subs but having to pay multiple subs for channels where I'll probably only watch a couple of programs just means it's too expensive. I guess in a few years they may all arrive on FTA telly but probably not :(

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Gareth Collier said:

Desperately trying to drag things back on track to avoid rabbit holes I find it all rather frustrating (no, not Seven of Nine) with so much I want to watch being spread over so many subscription channels. I don't have an issue with subs but having to pay multiple subs for channels where I'll probably only watch a couple of programs just means it's too expensive. I guess in a few years they may all arrive on FTA telly but probably not :(

Michael Burnham references Lewis Carroll's works more-than a few times on Discovery.

Season One of Discovery is airing on E4 (Freeview/Freesat, etc - Sunday evenings) in the UK currently and they've just gone down the rabbit hole into the Mirror Universe and are looking for the Defiant from The Tholian Web (TOS) and In the Mirror Darkly (ENT) ;) 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

According to Wiki, Channel 4 was the first UK terrestrial channel to broadcast Enterprise, after it had first appeared on Sky One.  I seemed to lose track of it about half way through season 2.  I'm not sure which channel I eventually caught the rest of it on - maybe one of the Channel 4 subsidiary channels (E4 or More4)?

Similarly, I lost track of Voyager somewhere around the end of season 2.  I eventually managed to plough through to the end when it was repeated on Channel 5.

TOS first aired on BBC1 in the early Saturday evening Doctor Who timeslot (after Final Score).  The Beeb then seemed to repeat it almost to death, mainly on BBC2, throughout most of the 1970s.  (When I went to work in Italy in the mid-1980s I found this very useful.  RAI was showing TOS dubbed in to Italian - a common practice, especially with US shows - which helped a lot with picking up the language since I'd watched the show in English so many times already that I knew what everyone was saying!)

These days TOS, TNG and Voyager seem to be on a permanent repeat cycle that shuffles back and forth on Freeview between Pick (ch11) and Horror Channel (ch70).  Both broadcast in fairly ropey 544x576 resolution.  FWIW Pick is owned by Sky.

DS9 pops up fairly regularly, too.  I'm not sure whether Enterprise has been repeated recently.

It's taking me a while to get to grips with Discovery; basically, the first few episodes haven't gripped.  Picard will have to wait until one of the Freeview channels perhaps picks it up (it might be my imagination but the Beeb does seem to manage to show some of the better non-blockbuster shows from Netflix and Amazon) or Amazon offers me another free trial of Prime (and even then I'd have to watch it on my computer rather than the actual TV :unsure:).

I watch Prime on the PS4.

Was wanting for a while then got cheap offer just before the start of TGT.

Was worth while, a LOT cheaper than pay TV, and no logos on programmes.

16 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

I find it all rather frustrating ... with so much I want to watch being spread over so many subscription channels. I don't have an issue with subs but having to pay multiple subs for channels where I'll probably only watch a couple of programs just means it's too expensive.

This is starting to be recognised as a problem.  With Disney, BBC/ITV and who knows who else piling in to the subscription streaming game, the market is becoming ever more fragmented.  The general view is that the situation cannot persist for long before customers start to get fed up (or more fed up than they already are).  What the solution might I'm not sure but it seems likely that some kind of consolidation will have to happen sooner or later.  One barrier to that seems to be that the content is protected as intellectual property/copyright which potentially makes it difficult for a disruptor to come along and pull all the good stuff together into a single package.

On 17/02/2020 at 10:10, Captain Kernow said:

The problem (I've found) with these streaming services is that they make so much more available to watch, that if you succumb to this temptation, you'd never get any modelling done!

I think that a lot of the available content is pretty low grade or quite niche stuff.  My pal who is currently watching Picard on Amazon says it's the first thing they've produced that he's found worth spending the time to watch.

I think there is also an element of FOMO: someone raves about a particular series online or in a newspaper and people want to see it for themselves, so end up shelling out for yet another subscription service.  But at the end of the day it's only telly, and IMO a lot of the new stuff nowadays is very taste-dependent and only actually appeals to a fairly restricted audience.  I can think of a number of series that I was told I had to see, or which were always being talked or written about, but which failed to appeal to me at all.  That list includes The WirePeaky Blinders, Breaking Bad (someone loaned us a DVD box set but we didn't even get beyond the first five minutes), Mad Men (DVD loan again, watched the first episode and then found soooo many better things to do), and most recently Fleabag (the missus loved it but I found the main character antics utterly repugnant, no matter what supposed excuse she had for being such an unpleasant delinquent).  So these days, if someone raves about something that's on a service we don't get, I just shrug.

Not long ago a colleague of mine calculated that he was spending over £100 a month on subscriptions for his family, including Spotify, Sky, Netflix and Amazon.  (And that didn't include the mobile phone contract tariffs that he was also funding for the whole family, or the fibre broadband they needed in order to provide enough bandwidth for everyone to stream their own choice of programmes.)  I did think at the time that I would have noticed that level of regular spending a bit sooner - though it may be that the individual subscription charges are cunningly set to be just below the level where people think any one of them is unreasonably expensive, and they forget about or just ignore the cumulative cost.

Edited by ejstubbs

On ‎17‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 09:40, Din said:

Nope, Star Trek: The Next Generation was CGI from all the way back in 1989,

There may have been some CGI but the ships were physical models (as I recall there were two models of the Enterprise D, one 6' long and another, more detailed model that was 4' long), all the ships in the Wolf 359 battle were physical models as well.  DS9 used some, rather ropery at times, CGI for the Dominion battles. As far as I know, the first CGI Ent D appeared in Generations.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, johndon said:

There may have been some CGI but the ships were physical models (as I recall there were two models of the Enterprise D, one 6' long and another, more detailed model that was 4' long), all the ships in the Wolf 359 battle were physical models as well.  DS9 used some, rather ropery at times, CGI for the Dominion battles. As far as I know, the first CGI Ent D appeared in Generations.

I recall hearing somewhere that when building the first Borg cube model they were throwing all sorts of bits and pieces in there, from random bits of plastic kits to (IIRC) a model of R2D2.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, johndon said:

I think the first true CGI ship that appeared in TNG was in season 3. However when all 7 seasons were remastered into HD for Blu-ray, they couldn't find a few the special effect's shot's, so a CGI Enterprise D was created (along with shots of the Klingon Capital).

They also dusted off the 6 foot model of the D for Generations (as well as The Best of Both Worlds) - as it was the only model that could do the saucer separation. The saucer crash sequence was an actual model ;) 

Speaking of the Best of Both Worlds, if you don't want to buy the complete series on Blu-ray, it was available separately on Blu-ray and the aftermath of the Battle of Wolf 359 is amazing in HD.

32 minutes ago, johndon said:

One of the best endings to a series ever, the appearance of the ship and the music were a fantastic touch...

The penultimate episode of season 2 of Discovery, where you see the Enterprise's bridge for the first time was extremely moving too.

Back to Picard, I watched episode 5 this morning - I'll let you guys catch up ;)  

Edited by toboldlygo
  • Like 1