Bachmann 2020 Announcements - Spring

AY Mod

Just now, scottystitch said:

no, only quarterly announcements of items which will subsequently appear in the shops within the following three months.

Ok but that means the yearly catalogue becomes rather pointless then if it only contains things announced in prior 2020 catalogue plus whatever new things will be out in Q1. 

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

So are they going to have a quarterly catalogue?

They are publishing a mini supplement /brochure /flyer /leaflet, which they've called "British Railway Announcements".

This is being supplied to Bachmann Collectors Club members, along with the quarterly "Bachmann Times" magazine.

The first 4 page edition of "British Railway Announcements", "Spring 2020", has been printed as a section of the magazine and not as a separate leaflet.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Legend said:

I think that is the big bath!

Bad news on the Turbostars  also not particularly reassured  by  "work may continue"   meaning it might not?   Are these going to release at some stage or are they canned?

A bit of the sentence that included the "work may continue" phrase is missing. I think all it means is work will be done behind closed doors and will next be shown next as part of one of the quarterly announcements when they are ready to be released. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I think I’m getting the gist of what B are doing; quarterly announcements that only concern what is going to be delivered in the quarter covered by the announcement, which can be taken to mean that anything else (and we all know the pannier I’m on about but I’ve promised myself I’m going to give it a rest today) in the online catalogue that is listed as ‘out of stock’ will not be in stock in that quarter. 

Thus, the item I’m interested in but not going to mention is definitely not going to appear during the current quarter, and until it is announced there is going to be no indication of when it will appear.  Then it will appear in the quarter it is announced in, so within 3 months of the announcement.  

Fair enough.  I’ve been one of the main instigators of complaints about delivery being repeatedly ‘put back’ for whatever reason having been announced previously as ‘Q3 2019’, followed by ‘Q1 2020’.  At least that is not what is going to happen now!  Clarity is an improvement and I can spend the money on other stuff in the meantime, some of it from Bachmann who might have had to wait for it otherwise, so they are happy and so am I, win win...

But, hang on a mo.  If I place myself in the situation I was in 4 years ago, restarting in the hobby after a break of several decades, starting a layout and planning the stock for it, I would not have the understanding of this process this site has given me, and would assume from the online catalogue that this, and many other models, are out of stock and I’d missed the boat.  This could even impact on the type of layout I would be going to build; I’m 70 in a couple of years, and stocking my layout is largely predicated on the availability of quality RTR models that I am too old to scratch or kit build in mu remaining lifetime (it’s being so cheerful as keeps me going, you know...). 

So, well done B for clarifying the situation to the extent you have, but better information in the online catalogue about future releases is needed.  Something that confirms that development of the model is taking place and that delivery is eventually intended, as opposed to indicating that stocks never received are exhausted and we’ve missed a boat that never actually exi sted, which is confusing to an old curmudgeon like me!

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Bob83a said:

According to the Bachmann Times there is no production slot available yet for

32-027C/SF class 20/0 late crest green

32-046/SF class 20/0 blue

35-560 class 168/3 Chiltern

35-625 class 170/1 Arriva

35-626 class 170/4 ScotRail Saltire

35-580 class 171/7 Southern

These were omitted from the combined edition catalogue

It states

work may continue on these for later release and implies that they will in the quarterly announcements at some point.

But “work may continue” does sort of imply that it could be sometime before these appear and leaving them out of the catalogue probably means not this year!

To be fair, and to put that statement entirely into context, the full text reads :

"Whilst work may continue on these projects in readiness for their future release, no further updates will be provided until such time that the models are ready for release."

Considering the other text and statements concerning Bachman's new approach to releases, I take this to mean that whilst they continue to work away on these in the background, you won't hear anymore on them until release is imminent. The "whilst work may continue" I take to mean "despite the fact we're working on these."

Edited by scottystitch
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, Bernard Lamb said:

I can't wait to see the model of the iceberg.

Bachmann have produced it and along with all it's other stuff is making it's glacial progress towards us.

By the time it reaches the English Channel it will have reduced to a scale size for 1/76 with plenty left to fulfil demand.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51389690

• Funny 2

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

I’ve been one of the main instigators of complaints about delivery being repeatedly ‘put back’ for whatever reason having been announced previously as ‘Q3 2019’, followed by ‘Q1 2020’.  At least that is not what is going to happen now!  Clarity is an improvement and I can spend the money on other stuff in the meantime, some of it from Bachmann who might have had to wait for it otherwise, so they are happy and so am I, win win...

But, hang on a mo.  If I place myself in the situation I was in 4 years ago, restarting in the hobby after a break of several decades, starting a layout and planning the stock for it, I would not have the understanding of this process this site has given me, and would assume from the online catalogue that this, and many other models, are out of stock and I’d missed the boat.  This could even impact on the type of layout I would be going to build; I’m 70 in a couple of years, and stocking my layout is largely predicated on the availability of quality RTR models that I am too old to scratch or kit build in mu remaining lifetime (it’s being so cheerful as keeps me going, you know...). 

So, well done B for clarifying the situation to the extent you have, but better information in the online catalogue about future releases is needed.  Something that confirms that development of the model is taking place and that delivery is eventually intended, as opposed to indicating that stocks never received are exhausted and we’ve missed a boat that never actually exi sted, which is confusing to an old curmudgeon like me!

Good point, and one issue that, in my embracing of B's future announcements schedule, I'd overlooked.

In the past, B have announced products early (too early) in the development cycle. Now, they're moving to a realistic delivery timeframe model.

BUT...that leaves a whole slew of stuff caught in the middle, until the production pipeline catches up with the new announcements schedule. It would be nice to have some updates on that, until the gap is closed.

I'm in a similar position with the Bulleid carriage stock.

Edited by truffy
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, truffy said:

In the past, B have announced products early (too early) in the development cycle. Now, they're moving to a realistic delivery timeframe model.

BUT...that leaves a whole slew of stuff caught in the middle, until the production pipeline catches up with the new announcements schedule. It would be nice to have some updates on that, until the gap is closed.

I'm in a similar position with the Bulleid carriage stock.

As mentioned in comments up-thread, the progress of major projects including new toolings, through the pipeline, is followed in the Works Report section of the Bachmann Times, and the corresponding EPs are displayed in the Works Report 'Live!' cabinets at Bachmann showcases and roadshow events.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Which is fine, but I can't get to events away from home easily and there is AFAIK nothing in Wales that B have showcases or roadshows at.  My nearest are Warley, which is far too crowded for me, and Bristol (Thornbury), a by public transport from Parkway on Sundays, the only day I can go, and not cheap.  I last went in 2018 and there's not much to attract me this year.

And the Bachmann Times?  Where do I get that, or is it something you have to be in the Collector's Club for?  No thanks...

I just think B need to clear this up to help newbie modellers who use the online catalogue as a means of seeing what is available.  It does show that, but also shows a lot of stuff that is not available and covers it with an all encapsulating 'out of stock'.  At least Hornby have 'available to pre-order'!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ironically I gave up on Collectors Club last year. It really had little relevance to me and when they dropped the paintings calendar I thought I’d just let it lapse . Not sure if I should re join, but I think I’ll give it a couple of quarters to see how it goes .  The prices are still OTT to me , it would really need to be something directly of relevance to me for me to splash the cash .  

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 05/02/2020 at 16:40, gordon s said:

Generational Equality? I haven't always been 70, so when I first started work I had to cycle there. Managed to save a few bob and eventually bought a second hand Vespa scooter for £18. Felt absolutely great and I was pleased as punch. At that time most of the older generation in my office had cars, but they had been working much longer than me and their salaries, based on experience and length of service were clearly much higher than mine. That's the way it was and I never moaned or complained, nor did I expect as an 18 year old to earn the same as a 40 year old.

Yet I have a 17 year old upstairs who expects me to buy him car for when he passes his test (not after he passes his test) and has informed me his girlfriends father has bought her a £5000 car, my reply of 'what are you going to do to earn the money for it' fell on deaf ears and I would put good money on his poxy Mother will buy him a car, she always gives the kids everything they want which is really going to stand them in good stead for the future, not!

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, royaloak said:

Yet I have a 17 year old upstairs who expects me to buy him car 

Easy buy him a car if he pays for the insurance. Your money will be safe.

anyway back on thread...

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

36 minutes ago, royaloak said:

Yet I have a 17 year old upstairs who expects me to buy him car for when he passes his test (not after he passes his test) and has informed me his girlfriends father has bought her a £5000 car, my reply of 'what are you going to do to earn the money for it' fell on deaf ears and I would put good money on his poxy Mother will buy him a car, she always gives the kids everything they want which is really going to stand them in good stead for the future, not!

A few years ago before my pair married and moved out of home they asked me to buy something else that was expensive for them. I went to our medical drawer and pulled out two pairs of latex gloves. I then walked over to a wall, dropped my trousers and leant against the wall. Told them to put the gloves on, ignore my screams and if they can find the money they can have it.  That cured them of asking for quite a while.

• Like 1
  • Funny 14

57 minutes ago, royaloak said:

Jesus :o My parents definitely never had that sort of money to spend on me nor would I ever dream of asking! They did very kindly give me one of their cars (which I was mostly only driving anyway) when I bought this flat back in November, it's an '03 Ford Focus, which, to bring us back on topic, was recently valued at the same price as a 2020 Bachmann C Class, there's a price comparison for you. :p

• Funny 3

I never cease to be amazed at the sort of lumps of cash young people are asking their parents to stump up for cars and the such like. I don't know if they expect it or what. I was 28 before I could afford to buy and more importantly run the first car I owned. I passed my test age 19 but six years at university used all the money I could earn. My father said to me "you're the one who will benefit by going so you have to pay for it."

Sorry back to trains – I'm saving up for the re-run of the SECR coaches.

Edited by Anglian

43 minutes ago, Craigw said:

A few years ago before my pair married and moved out of home they asked me to buy something else that was expensive for them. I went to our medical drawer and pulled out two pairs of latex gloves. I then walked over to a wall, dropped my trousers and leant against the wall. Told them to put the gloves on, ignore my screams and if they can find the money they can have it.  That cured them of asking for quite a while.

Has to be post of the week. Just as well I didn’t have a cup of tea in my hands. It would have gone everywhere.....

Still chuckling.....:D

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

30 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Jesus :o My parents definitely never had that sort of money to spend on me nor would I ever dream of asking! They did very kindly give me one of their cars (which I was mostly only driving anyway) when I bought this flat back in November, it's an '03 Ford Focus, which, to bring us back on topic, was recently valued at the same price as a 2020 Bachmann C Class, there's a price comparison for you. :p

I havent got that sort of money either, and even if I had I wouldnt be spending it on a car for Sonny Boy, my car cost £2k just over 4 years ago and the other halfs cost £4k 18 months ago, WHEN he has a full driving licence AND earned the right to a car it will be up to £1500 and no more.

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Anglian said:

The sad bit is the insurance may well be more than the cost of the car.

I looked at my first car when I was 18.. got a price of £800 for the car, insurance quote of £2000.

So instead of an MG, I got a 13 year old VW Polo, insurance was £500, car cost £1000..  I sold it in 1998, same year my dad bought a Vauxhall Astra for £9k new...

Roll on 2020.. that very same Vauxhall Astra is parked on the road in front of my house, 99.8k miles, 2nd owner, full service history but admittedly my wife drives it now, I drive the new one, and she’s banned it from the driveway, my neighbours would like to ban it a bit further..

Although its just passed its 22nd MOT, when it freezes the Ice is inside the car.. the tape player still works, as does the “automatic choke” and the manual door locks and windows... Insurance on it.. £300 ;-) .. but I wont sell it for a Bachmann class 117.. my daughter says she wants it when she grows up... I kind of suspect she will change her mind in a few years.

but it starts 1st time every time, 2 miles a day, as long as that continues, why bin it ?. Every day it starts I smile, my wife groans. According to Howmanyleft.co.uk... its less than 1000 of its type still taxed.

;-)

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 hours ago, scottystitch said:

I'd argue the opposite.  I'm quite happy for the collector fraternity to bank role some of the more borderline models for the rest of us, in the same way that those fortunate enough to be able to afford to sit at the pointy end of the aeroplane make air travel more financially affordable for the rest of us over the wing box (safest part, structurally) and the blunt end.

Best

Scott.

Strictly speaking always fly at the back in a rearward facing seat.....The only problem with travelling with the folks who turn left is you can find yourself at destinations where the only place you can afford to bed down for the night is the beach !