Bachmann 2020 Announcements - Spring

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
On 05/02/2020 at 07:04, JSpencer said:

Is it Sheffield park again? I can barely recognise it! Looks nothing like my previous set.

They say on the Bachmann website that it’s available in 2 different colour schemes this time around. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

They say on the Bachmann website that it’s available in 2 different colour schemes this time around. 

The Bachman times states that it is an updated model, more refined than the previous release.

Best

Scott

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, scottystitch said:

The Bachman times states that it is an updated model, more refined than the previous release.

At the club day they stated there are now some injection moulded parts replacing those that were previously cast in resin in items like the canopies to bring improved detail to the models. 

Tom. 

• Informative/Useful 2

10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I looked at my first car when I was 18.. got a price of £800 for the car, insurance quote of £2000.

So instead of an MG, I got a 13 year old VW Polo, insurance was £500, car cost £1000..  I sold it in 1998, same year my dad bought a Vauxhall Astra for £9k new...

Roll on 2020.. that very same Vauxhall Astra is parked on the road in front of my house, 99.8k miles, 2nd owner, full service history but admittedly my wife drives it now, I drive the new one, and she’s banned it from the driveway, my neighbours would like to ban it a bit further..

Although its just passed its 22nd MOT, when it freezes the Ice is inside the car.. the tape player still works, as does the “automatic choke” and the manual door locks and windows... Insurance on it.. £300 ;-) .. but I wont sell it for a Bachmann class 117.. my daughter says she wants it when she grows up... I kind of suspect she will change her mind in a few years.

but it starts 1st time every time, 2 miles a day, as long as that continues, why bin it ?. Every day it starts I smile, my wife groans. According to Howmanyleft.co.uk... its less than 1000 of its type still taxed.

;-)

I like it! I have a similar motoring history.

Edited by Anglian

12 hours ago, Anglian said:

The sad bit is the insurance may well be more than the cost of the car.

Yes, my Car is one Bachmann C Class, the insurance is 3 Bachmann C Classes 

Does anyone know when this new C 1573  went into wartime black? Not that it matters too much, my modelling time frame has stretched from just ~1943, to 1937-47 thanks to various releases :p 

Edited by GreenGiraffe22
Wrong number
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Jesus :o My parents definitely never had that sort of money to spend on me nor would I ever dream of asking! They did very kindly give me one of their cars (which I was mostly only driving anyway) when I bought this flat back in November, it's an '03 Ford Focus, which, to bring us back on topic, was recently valued at the same price as a 2020 Bachmann C Class, there's a price comparison for you. :p

See, I’ve got that mental image now, and I can’t unget it...

• RMweb Premium
On ‎06‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 16:20, Ron Ron Ron said:

They are publishing a mini supplement /brochure /flyer /leaflet, which they've called "British Railway Announcements".

This is being supplied to Bachmann Collectors Club members, along with the quarterly "Bachmann Times" magazine.

The first 4 page edition of "British Railway Announcements", "Spring 2020", has been printed as a section of the magazine and not as a separate leaflet.

Just in case some weren't aware, the latest Bachmann Times still includes the project updates, telling you what stage each of the already announced new tooling items have reached. This includes models at the design stage through to signed off for production. No "research" category anymore of course, as no new announcements until they are close to release. Hopefully this regular update will continue for the already announced models at least.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, brushman47544 said:

Just in case some weren't aware, the latest Bachmann Times still includes the project updates, telling you what stage each of the already announced new tooling items have reached. This includes models at the design stage through to signed off for production. No "research" category anymore of course, as no new announcements until they are close to release. Hopefully this regular update will continue for the already announced models at least.

I guess eventually this page will vanish once all the models currently listed at various development stages have been released.

Coming a little bit back to topic further back someone said that Bachmann's high prices would put young people off the hobby.  For people who like value for money there seems to be a glut of second hand items at the moment with locomotives selling for about £50, coaches for about £15 and wagons for about £7 so they can start the hobby with a small amount of money.  When I was a student at Bournemouth College of Technology with a friend we built a layout running round the top of the cupboards in my bedroom and we bought a second hand M7 for £2 and a second hand Jinty for 31.50 and made some cardboard kit built station buildings and had lots of fun running some cheap old Tri-ang rolling stock.  I have recently sold the suburban coaches and wagons for £10 so effectively I have not paid anything for them.  

On the other hand if you want to pay about £300 for a class 117 dmu Bachmann have given us plenty of time to save up for one.  The amount you need to save per day between when it was announced and when it appears does not amount to very much and you may be able to get a couple of pounds interest on your savings.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

Coming a little bit back to topic further back someone said that Bachmann's high prices would put young people off the hobby.  For people who like value for money there seems to be a glut of second hand items at the moment with locomotives selling for about £50, coaches for about £15 and wagons for about £7 so they can start the hobby with a small amount of money. 

Agreed, the bottom has fallen out on a lot of Bachmann stuff on ebay.

37/47/57/66 are all selling below £80 frequently, rarities are springing from the cupboard.. once harder to find Intercity Swallow 47’s were last year £150+ if you could find them... now theres about 7 on ebay tonight, Buy it now is £80 and still there all week...

ive last night converted my first old series 37 chassis to fit a Lima body to upgrade my Lima locos... at a handsome £40.. and ive a Lima chassis to sell, at that price forget the vitrains / Hornby chassis’s.

if only 31’s were the same story.. Ive 20 Lima 31’s to find a mi-life overhaul for, been looking at Hornby class 66’s as a possible route.

Edited by adb968008
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

The bottom falling out on ‘Bay does not seem to extend to steam locos; 3MT tank (which is a quite old tooling, not that isn’t a very good model) and 64xx are holding price very well.  Supply and demand!

15 hours ago, adb968008 said:

37/47/57/66 are all selling below £80 frequently, rarities are springing from the cupboard.. once harder to find Intercity Swallow 47’s were last year £150+ if you could find them... now theres about 7 on ebay tonight, Buy it now is £80 and still there all week...

ive last night converted my first old series 37 chassis to fit a Lima body to upgrade my Lima locos... at a handsome £40.. and ive a Lima chassis to sell, at that price forget the vitrains / Hornby chassis’s.

if only 31’s were the same story.. Ive 20 Lima 31’s to find a mi-life overhaul for, been looking at Hornby class 66’s as a possible route.

Depends to a large extent on what you are looking for  (which is stating the damn obvious) but for example I do a daily window-shop of TatBay for DMUs, electrics and LMS kettles and I find that certain DMU types are getting difficult to source at good prices.  For a while it was impossible to find the early blue twin pan, non yellow bib AL5 on the Bay and prices were firm, but a few have since emerged, albeit still at firm prices.  The yellow bib single pan AL5 has virtually disappeared from the 'Bay although the blue pre-TOPs version suddenly has had a flood of listings at prices ranging from "tempting" to "yo'm 'avin a loff".  It's the same with the Hornby 87s, the first issue rail blue and intercity versions don't crop up very often and are very firmly priced.

One thing I have noticed is there is often a rush to sell models from an earlier generation when a new or upgraded version is announced so I wonder if the 37 and 47 tsunami has been caused by the announcements by Accurascale and Heljan of new 37 and 47 models due this year?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Has Bachmann intentionally or otherwise announced another new tooling/models?

The latest Bachmann Times has two images of the CADs for shallow and low window Bulleid Brake Third Semi-Opens, and draws specific attention to the Two window depths. But looking at both the 2019 Catalogue and the new Combined Volume, both have the shallow window versions only... Presumably we will be getting both versions in due course.

2 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Has Bachmann intentionally or otherwise announced another new tooling/models?

The latest Bachmann Times has two images of the CADs for shallow and low window Bulleid Brake Third Semi-Opens, and draws specific attention to the Two window depths. But looking at both the 2019 Catalogue and the new Combined Volume, both have the shallow window versions only... Presumably we will be getting both versions in due course.

I think it was intended to be both version from the start.

The 6 10" vent versions in malachite/BR SR green are shown as black and white images on page 143. The 5 15" versions in blood and custard livery are shown with pictures of the Graham Farish models of the same coaches/livery. 

They are also listed in the 2018 catalogue like this but a few pages apart. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
33 minutes ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

I think it was intended to be both version from the start.

The 6 10" vent versions in malachite/BR SR green are shown as black and white images on page 143. The 5 15" versions in blood and custard livery are shown with pictures of the Graham Farish models of the same coaches/livery. 

They are also listed in the 2018 catalogue like this but a few pages apart. 

Thanks; I missed the blood and custard ones.

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Is that a result of the amount of shelf clearance being done by some manufacturers and shops lately?

Just after Christmas I bought three steam locos I passed on previously but fancied if the price was right. This time round I picked up all three from a retailer for nearly £200 below the original RRP, so almost 50% discount. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Is that a result of the amount of shelf clearance being done by some manufacturers and shops lately?

Just after Christmas I bought three steam locos I passed on previously but fancied if the price was right. This time round I picked up all three from a retailer for nearly £200 below the original RRP, so almost 50% discount. 

Bachmann have an annual clearout of unsold stock at reduced prices (if there is any that is unsold) so less popular items can appear at a good interval after release at a much lower price.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Ok so if I’m reading the Bachmann website correctly, there is no 2020 Bachmann catalogue this year, just a combined volume of all Bachmann’s various ranges which will not include any new announcements. These will be announced exclusively first in the new collectors club magazine supplement called British Railways Announcements? 

5 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

Ok so if I’m reading the Bachmann website correctly, there is no 2020 Bachmann catalogue this year, just a combined volume of all Bachmann’s various ranges which will not include any new announcements. These will be announced exclusively first in the new collectors club magazine supplement called British Railways Announcements? 

Hi Hilux5972,

Yes, I believe that is correct - just the combined volume and online updates.  I received my collector's club magazine after the announcements online, so I suspect the magazine and online announcements are produced about the same time.  The only difference may be the chance for club members to see the items at showcase events before general viewing.

Not sure if I like the idea of a combined volume catalogue as not everyone wants N, OO and OO9, though I guess it reduces production costs and makes little difference in cost to customers.  Personally, I like both N and OO... so it's OK for me.  I guess I do like the idea of holding back new releases until nearer release date as it springs up new items too look forward to, which are still fresh in the mind when they do come to the shops.  That said, the chance for constructive feedback is lost as 3 months is probably a little late for any changes to tooling to be viable.

Cheers,

Ixion.

Guest Half-full
18 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Depends to a large extent on what you are looking for  (which is stating the damn obvious) but for example I do a daily window-shop of TatBay for DMUs, electrics and LMS kettles and I find that certain DMU types are getting difficult to source at good prices.  For a while it was impossible to find the early blue twin pan, non yellow bib AL5 on the Bay and prices were firm, but a few have since emerged, albeit still at firm prices.  The yellow bib single pan AL5 has virtually disappeared from the 'Bay although the blue pre-TOPs version suddenly has had a flood of listings at prices ranging from "tempting" to "yo'm 'avin a loff".  It's the same with the Hornby 87s, the first issue rail blue and intercity versions don't crop up very often and are very firmly priced.

One thing I have noticed is there is often a rush to sell models from an earlier generation when a new or upgraded version is announced so I wonder if the 37 and 47 tsunami has been caused by the announcements by Accurascale and Heljan of new 37 and 47 models due this year?

I picked one of these up yesterday for £67, used, but looks great, unopened detail pack but wrong box.  I'm happy with that!

• RMweb Gold

As I understand it, the 3 months is notification of when the models are going to be available in the shops, or at least in the warehouse at Barwell for distribution to the shops.  I am working to an assumption here in lieu of proper information, but the 'normal' process of announcing an intention to produce a model, followed up eventually by CADs, pre-production samples, and painted samples, is not affected and will continue as it always has.  I can't see the marketing people allowing the opportunity of whetting appetites and generating interest from exhibition display case models to be passed up, and the CAD publication will still give plenty of time for constructive feedback which I'm sure Bachmann and all manufacturers are appreciative of.  

Edited by The Johnster

14 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

As I understand it, the 3 months is notification of when the models are going to be available in the shops, or at least in the warehouse at Barwell for distribution to the shops.  I am working to an assumption here in lieu of proper information, but the 'normal' process of announcing an intention to produce a model, followed up eventually by CADs, pre-production samples, and painted samples, is not affected and will continue as it always has.  I can't see the marketing people allowing the opportunity of whetting appetites and generating interest from exhibition display case models to be passed up, and the CAD publication will still give plenty of time for constructive feedback which I'm sure Bachmann and all manufacturers are appreciative of.  

As I understand it from the now locked Bachmann 2020 predictions thread, new toolings will be announced later in the design process, ie at least EP stage. As to when and how Bachmann will do this exactly, only Bachmann know.