Bachmann 2020 Announcements - Spring

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, AlexHolt said:

Because someone else has had to post it on here. Bachmann themselves have not posted it. Bachmann do not have a facebook or twitter page, 

The biggest thing in advertising now is saving millions by getting influencers and others to mention it for next to nothing ;) A few adverts in BRM and access to a large number of modellers who might not be readers of it for free?

Their website isn’t great but it seems to do what it needs to, I don’t read the gumph on Hornby’s and what I did want to know about the APT wasn’t there but a load of history I could get elsewhere was . . . 

Guest Half-full
12 minutes ago, AlexHolt said:

I meant that they've removed the option to pay via online payment methods for spare parts. Not the lack of spare parts.

You now have to mail in a cheque or pay over the phone, over the phone is pretty difficult if you work as they are only open in the hours most people are working. 

Its not that difficult to call during a break or lunch, many, many companies in all spheres of life only open normal working hours and have very little or no online presence but people manage to contact them just fine

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Oh and page 16 on just the new announcements is pretty good exposure. 

I would counter argue that the majority of posts in those sixteen pages is mostly hot air, indignation and general waffle.  Actual discussion about what is on the list that was announced is very much in the minority.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, John M Upton said:

I would counter argue that the majority of posts in those sixteen pages is mostly hot air, indignation and general waffle.  Actual discussion about what is on the list that was announced is very much in the minority.

But that’s social media exposure, since when has that or much media news let facts get in the way of a good story! Is the discussion on Facebook or Instagram any more meaningful? ;) 

Alex said they have no social media exposure, they may not decide to partake directly but you can be assured they are watching and have taken false claims to task in the past through moderators without getting directly involved. Hattons Dave doesn’t respond directly to some of the more excitable posts in much of their direct involvement but drops in a general info post without getting into confrontation. Differing approaches but both are a social media presence. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Sorry to continue this subject in this thread but as it's repeatedly being mentioned here it might, just might, be the place to be read by the right pep[le.

If you want to moan about Bachmann prices would please start a suitable thread and keep your moans in it and not spread about everywhere else.  While we still await Bachmann's 2019 accounts 2018 saw them move back into profit after two successive years of operating at a loss so maybe higher prices do have some value to the company.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

Sorry to continue this subject in this thread but as it's repeatedly being mentioned here it might, just might, be the place to be read by the right pep[le.

If you want to moan about Bachmann prices would please start a suitable thread and keep your moans in it and not spread about everywhere else.  While we still await Bachmann's 2019 accounts 2018 saw them move back into profit after two successive years of operating at a loss so maybe higher prices do have some value to the company.

And dare I whisper it softly,some better models too ?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I still think better information from the online catalogue would be a good thing.  I've just bought a s/h 3MT tank and, out of interest, wanted to see how much I'd have had to pay for a new one at RRP; the loco is 'out of stock' with no RRP.  Nearest I could equate to is the V3 at £129.95.  Now, this is of small account in a storm-battered world of viruses and wars, but about 2 thirds of the catalogue is 'out of stock' which is a bit of an elastic term for Barwell; how can a 94xx be out of stock if it's never been stocked.  I'll 'fess up to being a bit of a language pedant but my view is that words should mean what the dictionary or common usage say they should mean, or they are compromised as a means of communication.  

Not Barwell's fault, of course, but the situation at the dealers is not reflected by the catalogue; it never is, for anyone.  Items that are not in stock at Barwell may well be still available on dealers' shelves having been delivered a year or more ago and not sold yet.  I can live with this, but as I've said the situation must be confusing for newbies, overwhelmed with unclear use of language and contradictory evidence.  We're used to it and take it in our stride, but a newbie will pore through the catalogues and make lists of what he wants, only to be disappointed when he attempts to obtain items on it, and irritated when he sees items in shops that he has been given to understand are unobtainable.  He is of course going to look on 'Bay, a minefield for newbies, and get into trouble with locos that don't run properly.  At this point, he asks us what to do!  

Now, I don't mind this, we all had to ask stuff once and still do in my case, but it seems unnecessary when better information could be available from the catalogues, or at least an explanation of what the terms use mean in practice so that people can interpret the situation for themselves.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

The Bachmann website has been updates to the RRPs on models. I've noticed that the various Pannier tanks have had their respective RRPs increased by £5. Also the Midland 1P & the BR Class 20 have their RRPs announced.

The OO gauge models that don't have a RRP are:

• L&YR Class 5 Tank
  • LMS Ivatt 2MT
  • BR Standard 3MT Tank
  • LNER A1 Tornado
  • LMS Fairburn Tank
  • BR Standard 4MT 2-6-0
  • BR Class 25/1 & 25/2 (New tooling)
  • BR Class 105 2-Car DMU
  • BR Derby Lightweight 2-Car DMU
  • BR Class 108 2-Car DMU
  • SR Bulleid carriages (new tooling)
  • BR MK1 RMB in WCRC livery
  • BR MK2 is Scotrail and WCRC liveries
  • SR PMV in BR Crimson
  • BR MK2F in Virgin Trains & Scotrail liveries
  • BR 45T Class B TTA (New tooling)
  • BR 22T 'Presflo'
  • BR VEA 'Vanwide' (New tooling)
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

3MTs listed as out of stock without RRP, the only ones listed at the moment, are 82041 (31-796B) introduced 2019, lined green WR spec, and 82018 (31-982), also introduced 2019, lined black according to Model Rail Database).  No 3MT is currently in the online catalogue with a cycling lion totem.  I would not be able to say if the current situation means that 2019 stock has been exhausted or that it has not arrived yet; the only thing I can suggest to anyone wanting a 3MT is to check if your dealer has stock, and failing that go secondhand or 'Bay, and be willing to renumber locos yourself with transfers.

I'm not that bothered about 3MTs; we all know what my focus is on.  I am expecting a second hand 3MT from Hattons this morning as it happens, but this was an impulse purchase that seems good value (touching wood as I type) (not in that way you bad people) and I doubt I would want the loco so much as to pay whatever the current RRP is.  The one that is as I speak (I hope) being loaded in to a Royal Mail van for delivery is 82021, a 2014 model in unicycling lion lined black, which I will be converting to WR spec. and renumbering as 82001, xfer Barry from Tyseley October 1953, probably in connection with the new 'regular interval' Valleys timetable introduced at that time.

9 locos, 82001-9, were transferred at the same time from Tyseley to Barry; presumably they could not cut the mustard on 5101 work at Tyseley.  At Barry they were replacements for withdrawn GW rebuilt TVR 'A' class; the GW and latterly WR had been in the process of replacing these locos with 5101s, and once the 3MTs were in production the 5101s were replaced with 3MTs, at least as far as new loco allocations were concerned.  They thus did not have a particularly good reputation on the WR, as a loco that size with a Swindon no.2 boiler was inevitably expected to do 5101 work, which they couldn't!  BR classed the 5101s as 4MT, a power class above the 82xxx, the main difference being the bigger cylinders of the GW loco.  Cathays, Treherbert, and Merthyr also had 82xxx; they made a palpable impact in South Wales prior to the arrival of dmus in 1958 on the Valleys services.

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, The Johnster said:

3MTs listed as out of stock without RRP, the only ones listed at the moment, are 82041 (31-796B) introduced 2019, lined green WR spec, and 82018 (31-982), also introduced 2019, lined black according to Model Rail Database).  No 3MT is currently in the online catalogue with a cycling lion totem.  I would not be able to say if the current situation means that 2019 stock has been exhausted or that it has not arrived yet; the only thing I can suggest to anyone wanting a 3MT is to check if your dealer has stock, and failing that go secondhand or 'Bay, and be willing to renumber locos yourself with transfers.

I'm not that bothered about 3MTs; we all know what my focus is on.  I am expecting a second hand 3MT from Hattons this morning as it happens, but this was an impulse purchase that seems good value (touching wood as I type) (not in that way you bad people) and I doubt I would want the loco so much as to pay whatever the current RRP is.  The one that is as I speak (I hope) being loaded in to a Royal Mail van for delivery is 82021, a 2014 model in unicycling lion lined black, which I will be converting to WR spec. and renumbering as 82001, xfer Barry from Tyseley October 1953, probably in connection with the new 'regular interval' Valleys timetable introduced at that time.

9 locos, 82001-9, were transferred at the same time from Tyseley to Barry; presumably they could not cut the mustard on 5101 work at Tyseley.  At Barry they were replacements for withdrawn GW rebuilt TVR 'A' class; the GW and latterly WR had been in the process of replacing these locos with 5101s, and once the 3MTs were in production the 5101s were replaced with 3MTs, at least as far as new loco allocations were concerned.  They thus did not have a particularly good reputation on the WR, as a loco that size with a Swindon no.2 boiler was inevitably expected to do 5101 work, which they couldn't!  BR classed the 5101s as 4MT, a power class above the 82xxx, the main difference being the bigger cylinders of the GW loco.  Cathays, Treherbert, and Merthyr also had 82xxx; they made a palpable impact in South Wales prior to the arrival of dmus in 1958 on the Valleys services.

:offtopic:

I somehow doubt they were expected to do 5101 work with 5101 loads because they were Power Class C compared with the 5101 Power Class D so in any case the loads they were allowed were less than the 5101 load.   For example Bridgend to Tondu a 5101 was allowed 270 tons on passenger work and an 82XXX was only allowed 220 tons.  Anybody who bothered to look at the cabside or loads would know in an instant that the smaller and lighter 82XXX could not be expected to take 5101 loads and keep time and they would have been somewhat short of brain power if they expected the smaller engine to take the same load and keep time.

Back to Bachmann Spring 2020 and what is in the catalogue/lists as opposed to continuing discourse about what isn't.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

:offtopic:

I somehow doubt they were expected to do 5101 work with 5101 loads because they were Power Class C compared with the 5101 Power Class D so in any case the loads they were allowed were less than the 5101 load.   For example Bridgend to Tondu a 5101 was allowed 270 tons on passenger work and an 82XXX was only allowed 220 tons.  Anybody who bothered to look at the cabside or loads would know in an instant that the smaller and lighter 82XXX could not be expected to take 5101 loads and keep time and they would have been somewhat short of brain power if they expected the smaller engine to take the same load and keep time.

Back to Bachmann Spring 2020 and what is in the catalogue/lists as opposed to continuing discourse about what isn't.

There is some historical truth in this Mike. Looking back just a few short years, when the 150 Sprinters were expected to replace the 116 DMU's. Not a chance! Grossly overloaded, and in a few short weeks, the 3-car sets were knocked down to 2-car sets, just to keep up on valley work. Excellent chat-up situations;- You couldn't sit down!

• RMweb Premium

This example if any was needed shows the steep increases in prices that have had to be made by Bachmann as a result of rising costs in China over a relatively short time. 31-380 2-EPB 6262 in Blue/Grey livery with NSE branding is currently being sold by retailers for around £125-£130. Bachmann has reworked unsold stock as 31-381, now weathered and with NSE branding removed, and retailers are discounting it at around £186-£190. Ok the original version is probably being discounted by Bachmann to retailers, but £60 is an lot extra for a bit of reworking.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 11/02/2020 at 12:22, The Stationmaster said:

Yes, I wandered off into a bit of ramble there, Mike, you are quite right of course about the power classification on the cab side.  The 3MTs were, however, the WR's go to replacement for 5101s for sheds wanting new locos to replace TVR As and Rhymney Ps in South Wales, an ongoing programme started by Collett to replace pregrouping rebuilds that had returned their investment costs with standard GW locos,  I know from conversations with drivers in the 70s who were firemen 20 years earlier that the preferred option was the 5101, but the last had been built and Swindon were turning out 3MTs instead.

They were probably up to Taff A/Rhymney P work, but the 5101s had a bit more grunt.  If you wanted more grunt than that, there were the 56xx, but these struggled above 50mph and, with smaller wheels and big cylinders, had less 'range' for a day's work.  There was no need in South Wales for a yellow RA loco, red could and did go everywhere, and it wasn't until later in their lives when they went to the Cambrian, where RA is everything, that the 3MTs came into their own.  Apologies for this wander as well as the previous one!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Phil Parker said:

We've taken a quick look at some of the new Woodland Scenics range announced last week over on World of Railways, complete with idiot presenter video.

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/new-peelnplace-tuft-range-from-woodland-scenics/

Interesting stuff there, and they got the Union Flag the right way up on that flagpole:rolleyes:

On 09/02/2020 at 18:38, Oldddudders said:

The complexity of what is being discussed in recent posts defeats me. So what? The only date that counts for anything at all is the date the product is on the shelf ready to be bought. Bachmann seem to be pulling out all the stops to make that sooner rather than later. Big tick, Barwell!

Totally agree with you there but it has taken them about 10 years to wake up to the fact announcing a model 4 years before it hits the shelves is a bit dumb. Maybe as newer companies have arrived and can delivery faster they have had to pull their fingers out. Got a bit sick of being strung along at shows when you asked about delivery times only to find out they were years off the mark, if they knew at least have the decency to come clean.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• 2 weeks later...

I’m interested to see how this new strategy goes for Bachmann. Some of the stuff announced is already in the shops. I’m rather intrigued that the Gwr Class 150 wasn’t there. I remember it was meant to come out in early 2018 and I’ve heard nothing since, I know the 150 tooling has to be changed. I believe it’s the lavatory window. Again I do have to agree with earlier comments I’m the chain, I feel Bachmann should push or at least try social media. Look at Hattons and Hornby, speaking of hattons what’s the latest on that? 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Class 158 productions said:

I’m interested to see how this new strategy goes for Bachmann. Some of the stuff announced is already in the shops. I’m rather intrigued that the Gwr Class 150 wasn’t there.  

ETA October 2020 according to Bachmanns web site

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/category/model-railway/branchline/multiple-units

• Agree 1