Bachmann 2020 Announcements - Spring

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
On 15/02/2020 at 13:07, delticfan said:

Totally agree with you there but it has taken them about 10 years to wake up to the fact announcing a model 4 years before it hits the shelves is a bit dumb. Maybe as newer companies have arrived and can delivery faster they have had to pull their fingers out. Got a bit sick of being strung along at shows when you asked about delivery times only to find out they were years off the mark, if they knew at least have the decency to come clean.

Nail on head, delticfan.  We’ve had a string of broken promises for some items, and if I were wearing my cynical hat, the new 3 month advance notice of delivery would feel a bit like a cold blooded marketing attempt to restore credibility.  A 3 month delivery date would be a dead cert, models at the packing stage to go in the container, were it not for the coronavirus issue. 

So it’s just as well I’m not wearing my cynical hat...

• Agree 3

11 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Nail on head, delticfan.  We’ve had a string of broken promises for some items, and if I were wearing my cynical hat, the new 3 month advance notice of delivery would feel a bit like a cold blooded marketing attempt to restore credibility.  A 3 month delivery date would be a dead cert, models at the packing stage to go in the container, were it not for the coronavirus issue. 

And I thought I was alone lol sick of folks standing up for Bachmann they are old hat I’m afraid.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Isn't that the point of the 3 month announcement cycle to avoid the string of broken promises? I am interested to see how the new system performs as it's still early days but clearly leaving things as they were wasn't an option.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Class 158 productions said:

I’m interested to see how this new strategy goes for Bachmann. Some of the stuff announced is already in the shops. I’m rather intrigued that the Gwr Class 150 wasn’t there. I remember it was meant to come out in early 2018 and I’ve heard nothing since, I know the 150 tooling has to be changed. I believe it’s the lavatory window. Again I do have to agree with earlier comments I’m the chain, I feel Bachmann should push or at least try social media. Look at Hattons and Hornby, speaking of hattons what’s the latest on that? 

ive just seen an email inviting me to buy tickets on the last GWR 150/0 service for 28th March..

https://www.gwrsouvenirs.co.uk/index.php/shop/gwr135-adult-16-final-furlong.html

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Markwj said:

Isn't that the point of the 3 month announcement cycle to avoid the string of broken promises? I am interested to see how the new system performs as it's still early days but clearly leaving things as they were wasn't an option.

We’ll see, won’t we, when those models allegedly scheduled for later this year are within 3 months and duly appear on the 3 month list 3 months before the due date and Bachmann are proved as good as their word.  Until then fairness demands that we give them (yet) another chance; the 3 month notification very cleverly buying them time and credibility.  And given the current problems in China Bachmann have a perfect excuse!  

I feel as if I might be being manipulated, and I don’t like it!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, adb968008 said:

ive just seen an email inviting me to buy tickets on the last GWR 150/0 service for 28th March..

https://www.gwrsouvenirs.co.uk/index.php/shop/gwr135-adult-16-final-furlong.html

Think it was 2011 when I did the farewell 150 railtour in the West Midlands..... certainly eclipses the time span from the Hymek swansong tour to their eventual demise.....

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

Think it was 2011 when I did the farewell 150 railtour in the West Midlands..... certainly eclipses the time span from the Hymek swansong tour to their eventual demise.....

This was the last time I saw 150002...

9E25F230-7EE3-4746-BE60-AE4F7E1410AA.jpeg.7ffee4772b5031ff722ecb3f29c16ff9.jpeg

May/June 1988

Saw 15001 in Taunton in May last year, and again in Swindon in October 2019.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Phil Bullock said:

I was on that tour, but in the two car unit!  I remember travelling to Matlock to try the prototype 150 and 151 when new, so you really begin to show your age when trains that were shiny, new and exciting as a yoof become the subject of farewell tours. Speaking of which, the Class 150 seems to be having more farewell tours than Status Quo.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, The Johnster said:

We’ll see, won’t we, when those models allegedly scheduled for later this year are within 3 months and duly appear on the 3 month list 3 months before the due date and Bachmann are proved as good as their word.  Until then fairness demands that we give them (yet) another chance; the 3 month notification very cleverly buying them time and credibility.  And given the current problems in China Bachmann have a perfect excuse!  

I feel as if I might be being manipulated, and I don’t like it!

Whilst still wearing my cynic hat, 4 periods per year could add up to 4 price increments per year, but I could be wrong..... Cynic? Moi? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Whilst still wearing my cynic hat, 4 periods per year could add up to 4 price increments per year, but I could be wrong..... Cynic? Moi? 

You are a very naughty boy! :mad:

• RMweb Gold

Browse through the online catalogue today suggests there is another category of availability, 'check with your retailer'.  My retailer does his best but would probably not be able to give me definitive information other than that he has one in stock, if he has one in stock...  

11 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Browse through the online catalogue today suggests there is another category of availability, 'check with your retailer'.  My retailer does his best but would probably not be able to give me definitive information other than that he has one in stock, if he has one in stock...  

Your retailer would probably tell you to check with Bachmann.

'Check with your retailer' is essentially for those items that have sold out recently from the warehouse, but where examples quite possibly remain on retailers' shelves.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

Yay!  How long has this one been in the pipeline?  I'm struggling to think of when Blue Box last introduced a completely new model; the 1F IIRC.  This is encouraging news, meaning that the firm is making inroads into the backlog despite the coronavirus situation, which seems to be worsening daily and looks as if it will continue to do so for a while yet.

• Agree 1

Heard on the grapevine a high proportion of Chinese factories are now working at full output however there is a shortage of shipping containers in the correct locations which is causing export issues. The shortage isn’t on the Chinese side but for some reason this is causing  problems.

• RMweb Gold

I think the thrust of the covid containment in China has been to prevent travel; this means that workforces in their immediate localities who have already been exposed to each other anyway are available for work, and need the money anyway.  Production of models is probably at normal levels, but the logistics side has to catch up. 

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi everyone,

Not that I really needed another 37, the spring release of 37800 in ROG livery was too tempting. I picked mine up from Rainbow Railways last night and it’s an excellent release from Bachmann. The small printing is particularly commendable along the lower body area, tanks and even the axle box covers which I can’t recall them having done before. I also like the fact they added the multi working plug on the nose correctly too.

It looks to have been a popular release given it appears sold out at Bachmann and with several retailers.

I am really hoping that a WCRC 57/3 appears at some point.

cheers

Mark

• Agree 2

In relation to prices, five years ago the pound bought 1.5 USD and now it is 1.2 USD.  I remember, some time ago, when it was 2 USD and for years I think it was around 1.7.  I believe that the Chinese Yuan is 'managed' with reference to the dollar and Hong Kong is the same.  This will have an impact on anything made in China and large movements like that need to be factored into consideration of how prices have moved here.

[IPW]

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Class 158 productions said:

Saw in a recent video that the new GWR Class 57 will have a glossy finish, will look a lot better than the current matte finish in my opinion. 

Agreed. The livery is very dull and needs sheen to lift it (in my opinion). I don’t often regret a purchase but I do somewhat regret my GWR ICT. It’s uninspiring. Virgin’s “flowing silk” was a mess – it didn’t follow the shape of the train or its windows. I’d have been happy with the LNER livery (very nicely done) but the money has gone now.