Bachmann 2020 Announcements - Spring

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Quite. Burger King is an unforgiving environment...

Now Now, play nicely. How many top-flight executives have started out by working menial jobs at Burger King?

Our young poster will no doubt learn how to (or,how not to ) fit in.  Good luck to him.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

I shall be 70 in 41 years, what do we think the retirement age will be by then? 

Err, lets see....

So, its 41, times 40. Carry the zero, then divide by 1. Add 3, because it's Wednesday. Multiply the last number you thought of, and then use the square root to find the pye.

Pie..... Hmmmm.....

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

r

The Potato lorry-8

EDIT. I should in fairness point out that we shouldn't take a rise out of our poster, Josh. Due to his attitude, he has been barred. He has no right of reply, so it seems fair not to mention the guy. Let him go, and I'm sure that if he mends his ways, he can appeal to the finer parts of the web.

Edited by tomparryharry
Spelling! Back to school for me!
  • Funny 2

Worth reading what he actually posted before he started ranting.

He was criticising the Bachmann Class 37 price. Then said he was going to spend the money on Hornby Class 50s, Dapol 68s and Hattons Class 66s instead. I tried to point out they were about the same price but gave up. All in the £150 to £160 price range from most of the big name retailers.

The Bachmann 37 is here for £152.95 and free postage.

https://railsofsheffield.com/products/39947/Bachmann-32-393a-oo-gauge-class-37-7-refurbished-37800-cassiopeia-europhoenix-rog-

I think you got the wrong message the 37 being the only loco that I would like from Bachmann but I would rather spend my money on another loco that's cheaper and better quality (Dapol 68,Hornby gbrf 50,hattons 66 etc.)

Nothing to do with being a poor student.....

Boomer though? Priceless. I'm so far from being a "boomer"......

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, fezza said:

they are basically asking £100 for an 00 gauge coach... 

Having seen the 117 up close at todays Club event, you could not be more wrong. The underframe alone is an incredible piece of work, nevermind the rest of it. I think the price fairly reflects the quality of the product. 

Tom. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

In 41 years time there won't be a retirement age. You will work so you are not a drain on the finances of the yoof who want everything yesterday!

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

In the German pension Act introduced by Otto von Bismark in the 1880s retirement age was originally specified as 70. Life expectancy then was around 40.

Given the current life expectancy in the UK on the Bismarck formula you will probably be able to retire in 2105.

Bachmann will have just delivered their model of the original HS2 sets announced in 2040. The updated price is £27000 per coach against Hattons original pre-order price of £995.

• Funny 12
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

The only model i'm interested in this quarter is the already announced BR lined Director D11/1.

However I owned an earlier version of Scenecraft's Sheffield Park building but realised it was too big for the space I had at my disposal so sold it. 

Instead over time I got rid of all my OO resin buildings and concentrated on re-working Triang and Hornby plastic structures, and kitbuilding and scratchbuilding in plastic.

In my youth in the 80s my parents and I didn't go without, but could only do that by buying second hand stuff for the home.

For my hobby I bought used and/or damaged OO equipment - it was extremely rare any new models were bought and there was no way that I was in a position to buy Hornby's APT which was the rage at the time.

• Friendly/supportive 1

7 hours ago, melmerby said:

And he, (statistically) was unlikely to have voted.

The portion of the population that claims it will be most affected, basically couldn't be bothered to vote.

I'm sorry, I have no sympathy for people of the younger generation, who were old enough to vote but didn't and then constantly complain about the result.

Turnout was inversely proportional to age group. A well known phenomenon in referendums which limits their accuracy as a reflection of views held.

EUReferendum_AgeGroups.png

Edited by maico
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, maico said:

Turnout was inversely proportional to age group. A well known phenomenon in referendums which limits there accuracy as a reflection of views held.

EUReferendum_AgeGroups.png

In the bottom left it says Data Source Lord Ashcroft, own calculations - what does that mean, it casts some doubt on the accuracy/political bias of that chart.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, woodenhead said:

In the bottom left it says Data Source Lord Ashcroft, own calculations - what does that mean, it casts some doubt on the accuracy/political bias of that chart.

No, it's a well known polling company

Unless I: mistaken that shows which percentage of each age group voted leave/abstain/remain rather that what % of each age group actually voted. 

As we’re straying into prohibited subject matter may I suggest we return to the Bachmann products and leave the whole question of affordability.

With any luck it may bring peace and harmony to the forum......:D

Edited by gordon s
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

52 minutes ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

In the German pension Act introduced by Otto von Bismark in the 1880s retirement age was originally specified as 70. Life expectancy then was around 40.

Given the current life expectancy in the UK on the Bismarck formula you will probably be able to retire in 2105.

Bachmann will have just delivered their model of the original HS2 sets announced in 2040. The updated price is £27000 per coach against Hattons original pre-order price of £995.

While you are in the future, can you check if the Peco bullhead single slip has been introduced by 2105?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

11 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Unless I: mistaken that shows which percentage of each age group voted leave/abstain/remain rather that what % of each age group actually voted. 

It tells us 64% of the 18-24 age group didn't vote!

Edited by maico
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I understand Bachmann moving to quarterly announcements for forthcoming new releases so that items are expected on the shelves within that time period.

However if the model is all-new tooling costing £150 or more RRP surely it should be announced up to six months in advance so that people can start budgeting for it by the time it arrives on the shelves.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, gc4946 said:

I understand Bachmann moving to quarterly announcements for forthcoming new releases so that items are expected on the shelves within that time period.

However if the model is all-new tooling costing £150 or more RRP surely it should be announced up to six months in advance so that people can start budgeting for it by the time it arrives on the shelves.

Budgeting is called a credit card.

• Agree 3
  • Funny 4

Affordability depends on personal circumstance and inclination.

But it is possible to compare 'cost' over time. Apparently (according to inter web) £1 in 1980 equates to £4.18 in 2018. So working backwards a £300 DMU would have been just over £70 in 1980. I don't know what the Lima 117 cost circa 1980, but I bet that most people would have considered a Bachmann version, with the quality of detail and operational functionality, DC or DCC (if it could have been utilised), worth the extra.

Which is not to say that I don't find the steep price increases a worrying trend. But as others have said there are other, smaller manufacturers, who are demonstrating that quality can be delivered at a lower price.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Pteremy said:

Affordability depends on personal circumstance and inclination.

But it is possible to compare 'cost' over time. Apparently (according to inter web) £1 in 1980 equates to £4.18 in 2018. So working backwards a £300 DMU would have been just over £70 in 1980. I don't know what the Lima 117 cost circa 1980, but I bet that most people would have considered a Bachmann version, with the quality of detail and operational functionality, DC or DCC (if it could have been utilised), worth the extra.

Which is not to say that I don't find the steep price increases a worrying trend. But as others have said there are other, smaller manufacturers, who are demonstrating that quality can be delivered at a lower price.

An old catalogue from 1980 (online with manually appended prices) has the DMU motor as £14.65, so about £20 with the trailer.

I can't vouch for the accuracy of that.

• RMweb Premium

If you’re not a conspiracy theorist, I suggest you skip this post...

Interesting.... Andy has changed the title of this thread to “Spring”. We are in February which is Winter, so shouldn’t the next quarterly announcement (May-ish?) be Spring. Has the Spring announcement already caught the coronavirus and died a death or is this the Spring list running ahead of schedule?

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, brushman47544 said:

If you’re not a conspiracy theorist, I suggest you skip this post...

Interesting.... Andy has changed the title of this thread to “Spring”. We are in February which is Winter, so shouldn’t the next quarterly announcement (May-ish?) be Spring. Has the Spring announcement already caught the coronavirus and died a death or is this the Spring list running ahead of schedule?

I think it's to indicate that the models announced yesterday (during winter) will arrive in spring. The Spring announcements will be for items due to arrive in Summer and the announcements & club event for those will be held on the 5th May in Bristol which was confirmed at today's event.

You can take down the 'I want to believe' poster now......

Tom. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators

I'd slapped Q1 on the topic when I kicked it off yesterday but changed it when the theme of the presentation today centred upon what is to arrive during Spring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, TomE said:

I think it's to indicate that the models announced yesterday (during winter) will arrive in spring. The Spring announcements will be for items due to arrive in Summer and the announcements & club event for those will be held on the 5th May in Bristol which was confirmed at today's event.

You can take down the 'I want to believe' poster now......

Tom. 

7 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I'd slapped Q1 on the topic when I kicked it off yesterday but changed it when the theme of the presentation today centred upon what is to arrive during Spring.

Sorry it never occurred to me that anyone would take my post seriously by mentioning coronavirus and dying a death.