Bachmann 2020 Announcements - Spring

AY Mod

18 hours ago, Class 158 productions said:

Sorry for the confusion I caused, I hoped that my profile picture of a class 220 would suggest that I model more modern eras, the class 57 I was talking about was the new edition from Bachmann, not the steam loco, their 57xx is nice but shows it’s age nowadays. Sorry for any confusion, I’m a novice on this platform! 

No need to apologise.

You were right BTW. The model you are describing is a GWR Class 57. They could also legitimately be described as a GWR Castle.

GWR 57603 Tintagel Castle

spacer.png

Photo Geof Sheppard via Wiki

Jason

22 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Right! Back to topic! So, what's this all about a 57, then?

Bachmann are releasing one and it's due over the next few months. We were discussing it's sheen, whether it's going to be dull or gloss.

Class 158 posted that in a video it's gloss rather than the dull photos they've been using. It's meant to be GWR Green but looks a bit washed out in the pre-production pictures.

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/class-57-6-57602-'restormel-castle'-gwr-green-(firstgroup)/32-756asf

Jason

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Gwiwer said:

As most of our hobby goods originate from China there may be significant changes to the expected delivery pattern.  

I don't think it's beyond the realms of the probable that there will be a significant social and economic backlash at the Chinese for being the catalyst of, and for the lack of transparency about, the current Coronavirus situation.

Another change in manufacturing location for the companies to manage??

Perhaps it will give us all time to catch up with those items we liked yet did not need. :-) 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

The backlash, if there is one, will be against all the southeast Asian countries where there are 'wet' food street markets, which I think is all of them, not just China.  These markets are virus factories that have been responsible for Bird Flu, SARS (of which CV-19 is a variety), MERS, and now this, and the sensible thing to do is to ban them, but this requires a huge change of mindset and would be difficult to police effectively.  There would be other advantages gained by this as well; Pangolins are endangered and several other species that feature in these markets are at risk.  

The Chinese control measures, which seem to be working at the moment, seem to have been focussed on travel restrictions, some of which have now been lifted at least until the 'second wave' hits.  Work, where it can be carried out with due regard to SI, has continued, as to a very large extent it has here and in the rest of the world, though at a reduced level of output.  My prediction, FWIW, is that B have been spectacularly unlucky with this, announcing a new form of notification of arrival of products just as it started (I've expressed my views on this and won't waste your time with them now), but that the effect will be minimised and minimal.  A good number of the predicted arrivals of products already announced will be met, and those that aren't will not be severely delayed.  Of course in the greater scheme of things it doesn't matter.  

I don't see why there'd be significant changes to the delivery pattern, especially now that transport restrictions in China are being eased.  It's people that are infected, and whose movements are unpredictable, not goods which can be sanitised with a spray.  Those aboard ships have been very largely protected and quarantined from infection by virtue of being at sea or not allowed ashore when they are in port; that whole containerised network is still up and running.

Changes in manufacturing location are a matter for the RTR companies to decide, but the Chinese/SE Asian model still works cost effectively, or they'd have abandoned it already.  It does concern me that production takes place in environments outside the remit of our health and safety and working conditions regimes, and the workers may not be being properly paid, but not to the extent that I have boycotted the products!

• RMweb Gold

I doubt there will be a backlash. There was none in 1945 against Germany, or in 1982 against Argentina.

The world, just as China is today, will be refocusing on re-starting their economies... in otherwords.. everyone will just get up in the morning and look at how they can make money again.

Model trains are being manufactured again in China.

If theres a spin off from this, I suspect covid19 maybe the last pandemic virus of this nature, as the $bns required for research will finally materialise to understand how to prevent them, given how much economic* loss this has caused.

* understanding the mass personal loss, but governments and businesses focus on money.

I dont blame China, Ive lived through this out there, and saw how they responded and prepared for it, the pandemic in the entire of Europe did not need to be any larger than the entire Chinese outbreak..

Europe+UK was caught naive, arrogant and flat footed, both in investment in its healthcare, emergency handling as was  government preparedness plus its execution... Some European countries have strangled this virus, but it could have been more. Whats worse, is a disjointed restart... which could just see countries playing pass the infected parcel for months on end.

So model trains will probably start arriving in Europe once more in the next few weeks/ after easter.. however the last miles to resellers, customers maybe delayed... and of course who knows what taxes, inflation, personal finances, exchange rate, personal incomes, unemployment will look like in a few months time, especially when the government £2.5k income stops and they start asking for it back.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, newbryford said:

Let's put it into perspective - especially in the current climate. Nobody "needs" model trains. It's a hobby- it's optional.

Indeed, it is a hobby, but lets not forget, our buyings employed worldwide then of thousends people, they depending their income on our hobby.

It is a big chain, Hornby, Bachmann , Dapol and many others, factory , shops, suppliers for the factorys etc. etc. 

Without this hobby, all would be unemployed. 

So, lets keep the chain going, as far as we can in the circumstances, not only for this but also for many other items we use.

If we don't , the world economy will colapse eventually.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I dont blame China

I do. Not just the wet markets and the dealing in species that are being driven to extinction, but the authorities' obsession in secrecy and not losing face. The bureaucratic ineptitude, even if it doesn't promote the spread of contagion, certainly doesn't help to curtail it.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, truffy said:

I do. Not just the wet markets and the dealing in species that are being driven to extinction, but the authorities' obsession in secrecy and not losing face. The bureaucratic ineptitude, even if it doesn't promote the spread of contagion, certainly doesn't help to curtail it.

Which country are you talking about ? China, UK or take your pick of EU countries, no heavily infected country has covered themselves in glory with this one.

Charles Darwin has demonstrated which countries are more in touch with survival and science over those focussed on economics and power.

Its too late for that however, so back to topic...

How long to Bachmanns next set of release announcements ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I doubt there will be a backlash. There was none in 1945 against Germany, or in 1982 against Argentina.

You think not?  I knew older people in the 1980s who still would not get into, let alone buy, a Japanese-made car after World War II.

And I myself had a mini-backlash against Argentina, refusing to buy any of their wine for many years after the Falklands War.  I used to work with a young lady whose fiance - an excellent young man in every sense - was killed while serving aboard HMS Ardent.

Sometimes it IS personal ...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

In my more idealistic younger days I boycotted several nations' products.  For most of the 70s I went without oranges, because there was no nation acceptable to me exporting them to the UK.  South Africa?  Big  no no because of apartheid.  Spain?  Fascist dictator.  Israel?  Seizing Palestinian land in the West Bank.  I was saved by Morocco, hardly a shining example of liberal democracy but not overtly bad...

I refused French produce for a long time after their secret service sank the Rainbow Warrior in New Zealand.

13 hours ago, adb968008 said:

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Willie Whizz said:

You think not?  I knew older people in the 1980s who still would not get into, let alone buy, a Japanese-made car after World War II.

And I myself had a mini-backlash against Argentina, refusing to buy any of their wine for many years after the Falklands War.  I used to work with a young lady whose fiance - an excellent young man in every sense - was killed while serving aboard HMS Ardent.

Sometimes it IS personal ...

I worked with a bloke in the Post Office who'd been a cook on Coventry.  He told me that the cook's job when the ship is closed up for action is to make flasks of coffee, soup, and sandwiches and take them around to the various action stations, as there is no telling how long a ship will be closed up at action stations and when her complement can next be properly fed.  He was ascending the exterior companionway (stairs) to the bridge with refreshments and saw the missile approaching, as a dot getting bigger.  This, he realised, meant not just that it had been aimed at the ship in general, but in particular at him!  

His nerves were shot and he was invalided out, but never had any particular malice for the Argentinians or the Skyhawk pilot who'd nearly killed him; his attitude was that those boys were doing their duty same as him.  His feelings towards the Galtieri regime were somewhat different, though...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, adb968008 said:

The world, just as China is today, will be refocusing on re-starting their economies... in otherwords.. everyone will just get up in the morning and look at how they can make money again.

If theres a spin off from this, I suspect covid19 maybe the last pandemic virus of this nature, as the $bns required for research will finally materialise to understand how to prevent them, given how much economic* loss this has caused.

* understanding the mass personal loss, but governments and businesses focus on money.

I dont blame China, Ive lived through this out there, and saw how they responded and prepared for it, the pandemic in the entire of Europe did not need to be any larger than the entire Chinese outbreak..

Europe+UK was caught naive, arrogant and flat footed, both in investment in its healthcare, emergency handling as was  government preparedness plus its execution... Some European countries have strangled this virus, but it could have been more. Whats worse, is a disjointed restart... which could just see countries playing pass the infected parcel for months on end.

So model trains will probably start arriving in Europe once more in the next few weeks/ after easter.. however the last miles to resellers, customers maybe delayed... and of course who knows what taxes, inflation, personal finances, exchange rate, personal incomes, unemployment will look like in a few months time, especially when the government £2.5k income stops and they start asking for it back.

A mass boycott of Chinese goods would be cutting off nose to spite face since the hobby has become dependent on China. Anyone thinking of starting an on-line petition may like to examine the makers mark on the underside of their computer since IT hardware is mostly sourced there too. People can exercise choice as consumers in some areas (like only drinking european sourced wine on the grounds that if they cant cut down on the booze then at least cut down on the 'booze miles' if only to offset the 'model railway miles' of their other addictions) but not all! 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, adb968008 said:

If our shops are still closed, it makes no sense financially for Bachmann, or any other company that manufactures in China, to start shipping goods.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

If our shops are still closed, it makes no sense financially for Bachmann, or any other company that manufactures in China, to start shipping goods.

From what I hear mail order is very busy.....

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I would suggest there is a likelihood that much of this stock is still in China..... remember the outbreak and subsequent lockdown there occurred immediately before the Chinese New Year...... I remember people scrambling back to their families, as per tradition, for there planned celebrations. Many would would not, for various reasons*, have returned.

IIRC Kader (t may have been another manufacturer) expected to loose a up to a  third of their workers at this time of year because they had secured jobs with better pay elsewhere.

Griff

• Administrators

Please try to keep replies on-topic. If you wish to discuss the Coronavirus and different countries responses, there is a topic in Wheeltappers. It also covers the effect on deliveries so keep it in there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

On 29/03/2020 at 20:23, Class 158 productions said:

What I noted that in a recent video, I saw that it now looks glossy. Like the 158 and Hornby hst. I own an iep and class 57 with matte paint jobs, it’s realistic on the 800 but looks quite bad on the class 57 

Could you link this video please? I have checked the Bachmann YouTube site and cannot see anything. If so, this would be super as it would match the Kernow MRC exclusive sleeper MK3s in GWR! 

2 hours ago, 159220 said:

Could you link this video please? I have checked the Bachmann YouTube site and cannot see anything. If so, this would be super as it would match the Kernow MRC exclusive sleeper MK3s in GWR! 

It was really hard to spot, In the back of one of the Hornby magazine videos. They show some Bachmann samples and I saw a green glossy class 57. I think it’s their latest one.

3 hours ago, Class 158 productions said:

It was really hard to spot, In the back of one of the Hornby magazine videos. They show some Bachmann samples and I saw a green glossy class 57. I think it’s their latest one.

Usually I would just dismiss this as too much effort to find, but, after some scanning...

For those interested....0m40s and 20m28s

Looks good! 

I wonder whether any of the RMWeb team at the range launch, get a snap?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just wondering, and I know the current Covid situation will mean deliveries may be delayed, but if Bachmann are announcing on a quarterly basis now, does that mean there will be another set of announcements on or around 4th May?

According the my last copy of the collectors club magazine it was meant to be on the 5th of May at a hotel (not putting full details as it  was only meant to be for members who have registered their attendance) but of course with hotels closed and the restrictions I can't see it happening now but can see it being released online at some point. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Pre Grouping fan said:

According the my last copy of the collectors club magazine it was meant to be on the 5th of May at a hotel (not putting full details as it  was only meant to be for members who have registered their attendance) but of course with hotels closed and the restrictions I can't see it happening now but can see it being released online at some point. 

It has already been cancelled, I was due to attend but they have emailed previously to say its off