Bachmann 2020 Announcements - Spring

AY Mod

1 minute ago, Joshthetrainguy said:

37 looks good but everything seems way overpriced like everything in this hobby

I think I'm going to be taking my custom to another company (who will remain nameless) who can deliver something much better for much cheaper

The £30 is just a deposit, Bachmann are actually cheaper than Accurascale but Accurascale will be a higher fidelity model

Or do you mean Hornby Railroad which is not on a par with either Bachmann or Accurascale.

Or is there someone else flogging new class 37s that we're not aware of?

• Agree 5

20 minutes ago, Iltman said:

Looking at the announcement my first thought was £200 for a re-livery of an existing model?  Whilst I'm glad to see more birdcages, the RRP for the C is I’m afraid to say rather extracting the urine

15 minutes ago, GreenGiraffe22 said:

Yes my days of pre ordering Bachmann products are gone (the crane being the last) , I could have saved quite a bit if I'd waited before ordering the H2 and Birdcages straight away, shall be waiting for that C to end up in a sale, my 2 sunshine liveried ones were £70 and £90, personal finances are a bit tighter this year. 

Not only is it pre-existing tooling, but the lack of under-boiler detail, compared to H's H class for example, is a little lame at that price point. Retailers have it around £30 less, but with the previous sunshine version coming in at less than £100, it makes me wonder what they're putting in their tea up in Barwell.

Shame, it's just the livery that I want, and was hoping to use it as a guide in re-liverying my current sunshine C.

Edited by truffy
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

The £30 is just a deposit, Bachmann are actually cheaper than Accurascale but Accurascale will be a higher fidelity model

Or do you mean Hornby Railroad which is not on a par with either Bachmann or Accurascale.

Or is there someone else flogging new class 37s that we're not aware of?

I think you got the wrong message the 37 being the only loco that I would like from Bachmann but I would rather spend my money on another loco that's cheaper and better quality (Dapol 68,Hornby gbrf 50,hattons 66 etc.)

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Possibly ViTrains ....

Who have long since ceased production of both 37 and 47 and seem to be extinct.

I see price gripe is however anything but and is alive and thriving amongst us.Sadly the only remedy for this affliction is total abstinence or withdrawal to other spheres of interest.

• Agree 4

4 minutes ago, truffy said:

Not only is it pre-existing tooling, but the lack of under-boiler detail, compared to H's H class for example, is a little lame at that price point. Retailers have it around £30 less, but with the previous sunshine version coming in at less than £100, it makes me wonder what they're putting in their tea up in Barwell.

Shame, it's just the livery that I want, and was hoping to use it as a guide in re-liverying my current sunshine C.

Not necessarily Barwell that sets the pricing, that comes from the factory. And using Kaders factory they don't have a lot of choice but to accept the prices they set and pass it on the the customer with the usual markups. 

• Agree 3

• Administrators
2 minutes ago, Joshthetrainguy said:

I think you got the wrong message the 37 being the only loco that I would like from Bachmann but I would rather spend my money on another loco that's cheaper and better quality (Dapol 68,Hornby gbrf 50,hattons 66 etc.)

I guess it depends if you just want "a loco" or a specific prototype. I picked this up for a fiver at the weekend:

TR Diesel 1_small.jpg

If your layout needs a Class 37 though, it's not a lot of use. Or if you use that Code 75 track...

5 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I see price gripe is however anything but and is alive and thriving amongst us.Sadly the only remedy for this affliction is total abstinence or withdrawal to other spheres of interest.

Well said. If you don't like the price, don't buy the trains. You'll survive without them.

• Like 11
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Are the 35t grain hoppers new tooling or the 1960s Trix tooling? If the latter, the "Grainflow" livery is inaccurate (unlike the Lima model, which had upgraded suspension).

Having seen a picture unfortunately it’s still the completely wrong example of the PAA Grainflow, wrong suspension as mentioned, incorrect brake cylinders (vac not air), incorrect body side ridges, BRT makers plate at wrong end, and so on.............

Edited by 43110andyb
Correct grammar(ish)
  • Agree 1

20 minutes ago, Joshthetrainguy said:

They are all about the same price if you look at the prices being quoted by retailers....

In fact the Bachmann Class 37 is actually cheaper than the Hornby GBRF Class 50. Three whole pound more expensive than the Hattons Class 66.

Why people look at the RRP and moan is baffling.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

Instead of replying to everyone I will attempt to aid understanding of what I have said

I am a student and contrary to popular belief I am poor 

This is a shame as I do really enjoy this hobby and to all you *beep* holes who are saying dont buy the trains is that really a logical option

And I am not angry at the companies as I understand inflation but I feel that maybe sometimes no matter how much you want something sometimes it's too much to pay

• Agree 4
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

1 minute ago, Steamport Southport said:

They are all about the same price if you look at the prices being quoted by retailers....

In fact the Bachmann Class 37 is actually cheaper than the Hornby GBRF Class 50. Why people look at the RRP and moan is baffling.

Jason

My weakness is a class 50 (I own 5 of the Hornby model(and no I will not sell them))

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Who have long since ceased production of both 37 and 47 and seem to be extinct.

ViTrains are alive and well and producing models primarily for the Italian market. Their 37s and 47s have been produced on commission from UK importers. It is this that has stopped.

• Informative/Useful 1

Instead of replying to everyone I will attempt to aid understanding of what I have said

This is a shame as I do really enjoy this hobby and to all you *beep* holes who are saying dont buy the trains is that really a logical option

And I am not angry at the companies as I understand inflation but I feel that maybe sometimes no matter how much you want something sometimes it's too much to pay

Woe is me. 

Don't they teach grammar and punctuation in school nowadays?

Jason

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

13 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I guess it depends if you just want "a loco" or a specific prototype. I picked this up for a fiver at the weekend:

TR Diesel 1_small.jpg

If your layout needs a Class 37 though, it's not a lot of use. Or if you use that Code 75 track...

Well said. If you don't like the price, don't buy the trains. You'll survive without them.

Call me Clinton Baptiste cause I just predicted someone would reply with that

• Like 2

That isn't how your very first post on the site came across, and to result to calling us names in post three isn't doing you any favours.

Price is price, some are cheaper, some more expensive we all get that but throwing out a random comment that Bachmann are just too expensive is asking for a retort from someone.

• Agree 5

Just now, woodenhead said:

That isn't how your very first post on the site came across, and to result to calling us names in post three isn't doing you any favours.

Price is price, some are cheaper, some more expensive we all get that but throwing out a random comment that Bachmann are just too expensive is asking for a retort from someone.

1 minute ago, Steamport Southport said:

Woe is me. 

Don't they teach grammar and punctuation in school nowadays?

Jason

Ok boomer

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Joshthetrainguy said:

Its very similar to the young ones if you have ever seen it 

When I was a student I didn't really admit to liking trains.

Which was good on two fronts, one I could use my prowess on the ladies in the bar, and two I couldn't afford trains anyway, indeed I couldn't even afford to ride real ones either, and regularly cycled 80+ miles home at a weekend, which of course helped with point one.

Today however its quite reversed.. I have lots of trains, cycle nowhere and.. well you get it.

indeed here was a years worth of student savings in 1997.

0DA955A4-70BD-4B9A-ABDB-A426C38D079D.jpeg.c79fb6176f420164628c124bc809c3c4.jpeg

(I only just chucked that extension lead away 20 years later).

To think only 5 years earlier, my paper round money was buying me 2 lima locos a week... but it would take 7 weeks to afford a Roco model, on par with todays super detailed quality.

That therein is the problem... lack of new Railroad models for younger hobbists... that actually reflect the state of UK railways today, not just Lima leftovers.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Please do not shout down discussions about price.

It is a perfectly valid discussion point whether an item is or is not likely to sell at the price stated and whether it may be worth waiting for large amounts of unsold stock to be reduced later.

Every one of my 2019 purchases were in plentiful supply later at sale prices had I chosen to decline to pay the initial price.

Draw your own conclusions about my 2020 purchases.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5