Bachmann 2020 Announcements - Spring

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, melmerby said:

virtually the same items with different labels.

My father did a test many years ago. He said the only difference between Heinz curried beanz and the value brand equivalent was the number of sultanas. Tasted exactly the same. :offtopic:

• Like 1

Well this has been a grim old read - lots of opinions on each other and not many on the manufacturer and their plans.

For what it's worth, can I throw this out there?

I think Bachmann have lost their way a little. For starters, the catalogue, or whatever they're choosing to call it.  These things have always been about dreams. There's a bit of the kid in us all, waiting for "Christmas" and the arrival of the goodies. The wait can seem a heck of a long time, but a publication that tells you what's in the shops or a shipping containers shortly to arrive quayside? Well you might as well just use retailer's websites. 

Their spat with Hattons. I have a few 66s - some from Barwell, some from Kent. Bachmann's are far better quality, but blimey the Hornby ones don't look bad at scale speed and cost 2/3 (thanks to a little shop in Kings Lynn) of even the most heavily discounted 66 from Kernow. The Widnes model looks to be the best of the lot and I will buy one. Now Bachmann can fall out with Hattons, and leave people like me looking to the wrong side of the Pennines for our mail order purchases. But if Accurascale come along with an improved 55 or 37 (the latter selling for less that Bachmann's - even if it's not £30!) well Barwell has no cards to play, other than upping its own game or reducing its prices. Look at how Hornby fitted a loco drive to their 9f AND priced it for Railroad, in the face to Bachmann's lovely new model of the Standard 2-10-0 a few years back.  

Bachmann have produced some truly excellent models - particularly modern era wagons. But this is a competitive market and recycling stuff like the grain hops which frankly from their pics appear as chunky in places as my self coloured Triang/Hornby one from circa 1972,  well they're not going to have many racing out to buy, say three to go in a Speedlink service, for the best part of £100. Yes I hear you say, things cost what they cost, but if not discounted they end up finally becoming competitive due to inflation, after sitting on a retailers shelves for a couple of years.

Some will point to the finally delivered the RnR crane, but at what price due to all that over clever engineering. Ok, maybe you can pose it at work. But most will buy it to run as part of a model breakdown train, not to raise the jib and leave it posed on a diorama in corner of the layout. When Hornby delivered the ridiculous moving cab doors on the Class 50 you didn't feel you were paying a fortune for something you would rarely, if ever actually use.

In conclusion, I remember being delighted when I saw Hornby's rainbow coloured stable of 66s last year. It was a sign that, as a business, they had got their mojo back, coming out fighting after a some dog-day years - if you can mix your timescales like that! I'm not a businessman, but I can't help wonder if Bachmann, who for so long now, have been the RTR kings of the iron road, have perhaps gone a little off the boil with their latest plans. If so, I hope it's only temporary. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, fezza said:

There is nothing wrong with buying lower cost poorer quality models if you like them, but rehashed Lima isn't going to attract new younger modellers who are used to high quality tech in other fields.

That would indicate that those younger purchasers don’t understand fairly simple economics. Play Stations, phones etc are made in their millions and benefits from economies of scales. Toy trains are made in a tens thousand at best, and sold into a far smaller market, and that’s just the HO market. When you look at the small UK market with its unique scale/gauge then that market shrinks further. Then there’s the overheads for the manufacturer, Bachman/Hornby legacy manufacturers if you like have a far greater potential burden than the smaller more agile newcomers. If the next gen modellers expect companies to make losses then they’re not being realistic.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

3 minutes ago, fezza said:

...rehashed Lima isn't going to attract new younger modellers who are used to high quality tech in other fields... 

Unfortunate asymmetry there. A huge global market supplies astounding technology at very affordable prices. Reasonably priced model railway kit lags by several manufacturing technology  generations, and there isn't the money in this market to enable it to catch up.

8 minutes ago, fezza said:

... I also understand generational inequality. I don't blame any youngster being angry with older wealthier people telling him that he's wrong about pricing and if he can't afford it then tough cos I'm all right Jack...

That's been a near constant in developed economies post WWII, for all but the fortunate few who have the talent - or in some cases pure luck - to make a career in whatever is booming at the time.

"As the LSE graduate said,

When young of course I was red,

But now I'm with Shell,

Let the proles go to hell,

My pension's safe 'til I'm dead."

(Probably in Punch circa 1970)

21 minutes ago, fezza said:

...The fact that stock hangs around and supply is contracting ...

Is it? Seems to me that there's more choice than ever before.

That one manufacturer has had central direction to set UK pricing at much the same as for equivalent mainland European products  won't have over much long term effect. Opens the door to competition. The sort of competition with which Bachmann truly unsettled a moribund UK RTR market 20 some years ago.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

My father did a test many years ago. He said the only difference between Heinz curried beanz and the value brand equivalent was the number of sultanas. Tasted exactly the same. :offtopic:

And probably generated the same wind smells later. :biggrin_mini:

• Funny 2

16 minutes ago, Buckley Wells said:

In conclusion, I remember being delighted when I saw Hornby's rainbow coloured stable of 66s last year. It was a sign that, as a business, they had got their mojo back, coming out fighting after a some dog-day years - if you can mix your timescales like that! I'm not a businessman, but I can't help wonder if Bachmann, who for so long now, have been the RTR kings of the iron road, have perhaps gone a little off the boil with their latest plans. If so, I hope it's only temporary. 

Or while Hornby are happy to keep firing out it's railroad items and develop some new high fidelity models (but still with less fidelity than the competition), Bachmann have been responding to the competition in the same way they did in the past, to up the ante - the steam crane, the 158 etc.

We might see less from them but the quality will be up there with the competition.

39 minutes ago, fezza said:

There is nothing wrong with buying lower cost poorer quality models if you like them, but rehashed Lima isn't going to attract new younger modellers who are used to high quality tech in other fields. 

I have a good career and the cash to pay. I also understand generational inequality. I don't blame any youngster being angry with older wealthier people telling him that he's wrong about pricing and if he can't afford it then tough cos I'm all right Jack. .

The long term future depends on affordable good quality models. The fact that stock hangs around and supply is contracting suggests the manufacturers haven't got it right with year on year price increases. 

Far from saying 'I'm all right Jack' several posters have pointed out that their spending was just as constrained when they were young, they just were not able to broadcast the fact. If the youngster is going to get angry with anyone who disagrees with him and start insulting them, he is likely to get one almighty shock when he starts work.

• Like 1
  • Agree 8

• RMweb Gold

‘The moving Accounts Executive prices, and then moves on; not all thy piety nor wit shall lure him back to cut a single pound, nor all thy tears wash out a penny of it’

Apologies, Old Khayam; your wine soaked and hash fuddled brain can still teach us a thing or two.  It costs what it costs, guys, get over it, and on with your lives!  Can’t afford it, tough, that’s how capitalism works. 

Edited by The Johnster
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Are we going to be keeping chickens?  Goody, I like chickens; play Status Quo and watch ‘em ‘edbangin’...

Yes very ecological. You can feed them most of your waste and the droppings are great garden fertiliser. You'll get 250 eggs a year per chicken. Many saved from egg buying will buy you a Bachmann coach. 3 chickens will give savings for an entire birdcage rake!

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 04/02/2020 at 15:01, No Decorum said:

I’m pleased about the Birdcages. A six-coach train for the D to haul and much nicer than having a mix of lake and Wellington brown.

Are these definitely new running numbers or an exact repeat of the original run?

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann are stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea here.

Carry on with the previous format of announcing items an age away from release and the mob from the left shout heresy for the long lead times and land grabbing of options.

Do as they are and adopt a more conservative approach whilst they catch up after the well documented issues, and the mob from the right shout heresy for lack of news and excitement.

However I’m certain they knew they couldn’t win on this point anyway, so I’ll say fair enough to them for atleast acknowledging and responding to well talked about dissatisfaction with the way releases have been so heavily delayed over previous years. 

For what it’s worth Heljan also announce new products on an ad-hoc basis, and I don’t notice any concerns about the way they’ve been doing it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Yes very ecological. You can feed them most of your waste and the droppings are great garden fertiliser. You'll get 250 eggs a year per chicken. Many saved from egg buying will buy you a Bachmann coach. 3 chickens will give savings for an entire birdcage rake!

What happens if you don't eat eggs?:jester:

5 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

However £85 quid for a coach is frankly nutty.

Is it though? How much would a similar kit build model cost assuming it's finished by a professional to the same quality as the RTR equivalent. £250? More?

Edited by Anglian
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

1 hour ago, fezza said:

I have a good career and the cash to pay. I also understand generational inequality. I don't blame any youngster being angry with older wealthier people telling him that he's wrong about pricing and if he can't afford it then tough cos I'm all right Jack. .

The long term future depends on affordable good quality models. The fact that stock hangs around and supply is contracting suggests the manufacturers haven't got it right with year on year price increases. 

Generational Equality? I haven't always been 70, so when I first started work I had to cycle there. Managed to save a few bob and eventually bought a second hand Vespa scooter for £18. Felt absolutely great and I was pleased as punch. At that time most of the older generation in my office had cars, but they had been working much longer than me and their salaries, based on experience and length of service were clearly much higher than mine. That's the way it was and I never moaned or complained, nor did I expect as an 18 year old to earn the same as a 40 year old.

One day our general manager came in with a brand new E Type. Of course we all lusted after one, but in reality it motivated us to get on in life. Sadly I still can't afford an E Type some 50 years later. From memory his new E Type cost £2000, but that might as well have been £200,000 on my salary.

What I'm struggling with is the thought that the world is unfair and the younger generation begrudge us that have worked blooming' hard for over 50 years and have now retired. You'll hopefully be in a similar position or even wealthier when you retire.

Of course I'm sympathetic to rising prices, but it really isn't any different to life back in the 60's. The only difference that comes to mind is that now we are all bombarded with marketing and advertising that says we MUST have this latest widget.....and your life won't be complete without one. 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, gordon s said:

Generational Equality? I haven't always been 70

What I'm struggling with is the thought that the world is unfair and the younger generation begrudge us that have worked blooming' hard for over 50 years and have now retired. You'll hopefully be in a similar position or even wealthier when you retire.

I shall be 70 in 41 years, what do we think the retirement age will be by then? 

4 minutes ago, Anglian said:

Is it though? How much would a similar kit build model cost assuming it's finished by a professional to the same quality as the RTR equivalent. £250? More?

I bought a set of Birdcages before the Bachmann version was announced. I actually got them out the other day.

I got them for £55 each. Now £58.40.

Plus you need the detailing kit for an extra £22.

That's £197.20.

Then wheels, etc. Then paint/transfers. And building them....

Jason

• Like 1