As some of you may know, I recently started a new job with the team at Railway Modeller Magazine, down in Devon! Which of course, ment I've had to leave home.

While I'm finding a place of my own, I'm currently living out of a Hotel Room. However, I didn't want this to stop me from get on with modelling projects, so I've dicided to building a layout!

The layout will be a follow on from my 009 Scale WW1 Trench Railway - Amiens 1918, set in the Argonne Forest. The layout is another Wrapping Paper Box Micro, using the Scalemodelscenery BB018 Baseboards.

Here's a few photos of the start of the project, showing the track plan , the baseboards assembled and my work boxes. 

The first video update on my YouTube Channel will hopefully be coming very soon.

Certainly is going to be challenge! 

IMG_20200120_095047.jpg

IMG_20200120_204249-01.jpeg

IMG_20200120_082132.jpg

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic Callum, make sure everything is stuck down well otherwise it might end up in the housekeeping's hoover!! best of luck with the build, the new job and the house search.

Regards

Mark

• Funny 1

14 hours ago, Oncomin5torm said:

Looks good callum, cannot wait to see the detail go down on the board.
I love the SMS boards, i've got a double end BB017 for my micro.

Many thanks! Been working on it over the past few evenings, so hope to show some of the progress soon

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jeff P said:

If anyone can handle a challenge, it is certainly you, Callum. Best of luck and will be following with interest.

I only wish we had these wrapping paper boxes readily available here in the States.

Jeff

Many thanks Jeff! Really is quite the challenge. Trying to avoid mess is the main thing ;)  

• Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Hi Callum I look forward to seeing another one of your model railway builds. I think 009 gauge is a nice size to work with..

Many thanks! Really is the perfect scale for this sort of size layout. More progress coming soon!

14 hours ago, MAP66 said:

Fantastic Callum, make sure everything is stuck down well otherwise it might end up in the housekeeping's hoover!! best of luck with the build, the new job and the house search.

Regards

Mark

Thanks Mark! Will do ;) Yes, think it's going well so far, found a few places, but will have to see...

6 hours ago, 1722 said:

Good start, Callum. I'm planning a micro in one of these boxes myself, using 009 like yourself. Surprising amount of space in that scale. 

Hope the build goes well! Really is the perfect sort of scale for a layout this size

5 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Hmmm, I wonder which business cards you will be having pushed under the door?!!

Mike.

Might be a bill for dry cleaning yet! :jester:

The first instalment of a new and exciting project, creating a WW1 Micro Layout in a Hotel Room! 
As some of you may know, I recently started a new job with the team at Railway Modeller magazine, at Peco down in Devon. Which of course, meant I've had to leave home. While I'm finding a place of my own, I'm currently living out of a Hotel Room. However, I didn't want this to stop me from get on with modelling projects, so I've decided to building a layout!
The layout will be a follow on from my 009 Scale WW1 Trench Railway - "Amiens 1918", set in the Argonne Forest featuring a captured German Bunker by the US Expeditionary Force. Like my other Micro "Winters End" it will be constructed to fit in a Wrapping Paper Box, using the Scalemodelscenery BB018 Baseboards.
In this update, we take a look at the plans for the layout, including track plan and the history behind the railway, as well as a look at a number of items, I've purchased ready for the build.
I hope to bring you lots more updates on the progress of the layout over the coming months, along with a number of tutorials and reviews.
Hope you enjoy!

• Like 7

13 hours ago, SteamingWales said:

Just watch the YT update, liking it so far. Will be following with interest!

Many thanks! More progress to follow soon!

12 hours ago, sb67 said:

Good start Callum, big fan of your stuff so I'll look forward to seeing this progress :)

Many thanks! Certainly is going to be a bit of a challenge! More progress to come!

12 hours ago, Kevin Johnson said:

Enjoyed the video update Callum and I will be looking forward to seeing your next instalment.:good_mini:

Many thanks indeed! Was very busy with more progress last night, so hope to have another video and some pictures ready soon

6 hours ago, mjcampbell said:

If Rod Stewart can do it... 

I gather he hired an extra suite to have space for his modelling. I assume Callum isn't... :wacko:

Not yet at least ;)

18 hours ago, Jeff P said:

Compared to some things people get up to in hotels, this one's a treat...

Can't imagine what that is :jester:

On 13/02/2020 at 10:06, Kevin Johnson said:

Callum your cracking on with this layout build, looking forward to seeing more..

Many thanks! Hopefully more coming soon!

12 hours ago, PannierTanker14 said:

It certainly is rather awesome :laugh:

A layout built in a hotel is not something you see every day :good:

Not every day. Hopefully it will be to a standard I can take on the road at at later date :)

• Like 2

Been a busy few evenings in the Hotel printing and preparing items for the micro layout. 
40+ Ammo Boxes
70 Sand Bags
25 Artillery Shells
25+ Trench Tools 
4 Cobble Sheets
2 Bunker Entrances
14 US Troops 
Have all been painted and assembled ready for the build. Thinks a few of the above items might give away the theme for the layout ;)

FB_IMG_1582061089688.jpg

FB_IMG_1582061107054.jpg

FB_IMG_1582061104489.jpg

FB_IMG_1582061101981.jpg

FB_IMG_1582061099675.jpg

FB_IMG_1582061114764.jpg

FB_IMG_1582061112352.jpg

FB_IMG_1582061109946.jpg

FB_IMG_1582061094948.jpg

FB_IMG_1582061092369.jpg

FB_IMG_1582061097264.jpg

• Like 8