Bachmann class 150 DMUs

Connor43002

11 hours ago, XChris said:

That's where I was going to get mine from but I'm not sure if i should wait for a sound fitted model or snap up the DCC Ready one...

I am waiting for the price to get a bit more sensible, if I am spending over £250 on a Northern 2 car DMU it wants to be a Realtrack 156 or a Bachmann 158 (if they ever do one), not (tweaked) old tooling.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

31 minutes ago, GBRf66701 said:

Are the heat protection grills around the exhaust pipes missing on anyone else's? Is this how there supposed to be on the more modern livery versions? They are missing on mine.

The northern samples show them not fitted, I don’t know enough about 150s to say if this is a later modification or not. 

Really good to see Bachmann have started to use those BSI couplings on other models. The cherry on the cake now would be for them to make them easily available as spares. My 153 fleet is crying for this...

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

mine arrived today, just running it. I'll take some pics of it along side the 158 tonight. i know its not a new tool but the livery is stunning, hefty price, is it worth? Maybe, but then compare it to say a Hornby hst power car set and maybe it is, i paid about the same as a power car train pack, so a little less than what the big online retailers are showing it at.

30 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

Maybe, but then compare it to say a Hornby hst power car set and maybe it is

That is a good point. My main issues are that it is more expensive than a Realtrack 156, and that I don't like ordering something for a price and then having the rug pulled from under my feet just before it arrives.

• RMweb Gold

The “Is it worth it ?” question bites again. Yes it is expensive and costs inevitably are rising.But nothing we can do about that regrettably.We take the pain of the hit if it’s a model we want and it ticks sufficient boxes in terms of prototypical accuracy and performance. Or we walk away. From the images seen here and elsewhere this looks a fine model. Maybe it’s not completely new tooling but it certainly does seem to be upgraded and enhanced in terms of detail such as the inclusion of passengers. The GWR livery is nicely rendered too. A difficult and painful choice then.

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

The “Is it worth it ?” question bites again. Yes it is expensive and costs inevitably are rising.But nothing we can do about that regrettably.We take the pain of the hit if it’s a model we want and it ticks sufficient boxes in terms of prototypical accuracy and performance. Or we walk away. From the images seen here and elsewhere this looks a fine model. Maybe it’s not completely new tooling but it certainly does seem to be upgraded and enhanced in terms of detail such as the inclusion of passengers. The GWR livery is nicely rendered too. A difficult and painful choice then.

i agree, hence my comparison to the Hornby powercars, the 150 is a more detailed prototype (as in more to it). for the price i paid on reflection, yes its worth it, fits into my modern era and location, runs lovely, back to the livery, its stunning just like the 158

• Friendly/supportive 3

I am very much on the fence with the new Bachmann GWR class 150 that has just been released. The pictures I have seen look really nice, but I am confused as to why the seats have been painted blue or is that just the way the pictures show it? I travelled on this unit in real life recently and the seats were green and grey. 

19 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

We take the pain of the hit if it’s a model we want and it ticks sufficient boxes in terms of prototypical accuracy and performance. Or we walk away.

Exactly. I don't want a £250 150 that badly when I could order a better 156 for £240.

If it was a 158 I'd have snapped their hand off, fingers crossed for August!

Looks like they are getting away with it though, doesn't look like dealers have a lot of stock and it hasn't been around very long.

Edited by TomScrut

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Looks like they are getting away with it though, doesn't look like dealers have a lot of stock and it hasn't been around very long.

Dont forget with the 158 they made more, no reason more may not be made.

Edited by adb968008

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Dont forget with the 158 they made more, no reason more may not be made.

Yes, good point. And looking at Kernow they have more than 10 in, so I'd expect the same for Rails. Bachmann might also have them on the shelf. Smaller shops might have been wary to buy too many of them for fear of people thinking it is too expensive and it sitting on the shelf.

• 1 month later...
18 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Brings it back down to the realm of slight normality. In the recent video from world of railways when they visited barwell, they were talking about partial retools and improving the electronics of older model’s. I hope to see the 150 improved with the low floor motor, or even some more tooling variations, like the limited interior or incorrect front end on the /1s and the gangway door with the window.

On 01/07/2021 at 14:25, Ian Hargrave said:

The “Is it worth it ?” question bites again. Yes it is expensive and costs inevitably are rising.But nothing we can do about that regrettably.We take the pain of the hit if it’s a model we want and it ticks sufficient boxes in terms of prototypical accuracy and performance. Or we walk away. From the images seen here and elsewhere this looks a fine model. Maybe it’s not completely new tooling but it certainly does seem to be upgraded and enhanced in terms of detail such as the inclusion of passengers. The GWR livery is nicely rendered too. A difficult and painful choice then.aa

At least one of the bodyshell mouldings, and obviously the glazing has been retooled to represent the new  UAT (universally accessible toilet where the saloon window was opposite the original toilet in the 52xxx car.