Din's Workbench/Swain's Park Works - A punt on a pannier

Din

Swain's Park is a reference to a fictional Headquarters for my fictional preserved railway that I hope to talk about at length at a much later date. For now, it's just me tinkering with a little workbench I've got.

-----------------------------

So after being inspired heavily by the Pugbash thread, and inspired by a number of folks on that thread (Including Corbs and Edwardian among many, many others) I've started up my own workbench thread. I'm no magician and some of my efforts will be no doubt sloppy, but unlike previous efforts I've made sure to actually invest in the tooling necessary so I know it's all my fault when it goes wrong and not the lack of tools.

So, my first subject is a light bash of a pair of Nellie Bodies which will sit on a Bachmann Junior 0-6-0 chassis, which I plan to convert to 2-4-0 long term.

The eventual idea is to have 3 such examples of this fictional 2-4-0 "class" at various points of its life.

This will mean there will be a third Nellie Body that shall be not so much lightly bashed as utterly massacred for the "final phase" alongside hopefully another chassis.

F3yrYEg.jpg

So first up is the "early" version. Still debating a chimney change and perhaps changing a few more bits on here, the buffers are Mr T's manning Wardle ones yet to be fixed, and I am wondering whether to add the Manning Wardle Chimney to the loco, or leave it more "as is".

dmWnUqJ.jpg

As usually happens with these poor unfortunate souls, there's always always a buffer missing. Just one.

So, I set aside the remaining buffers, razor sawed off the plastic (Cor, what a tool) and recovered four from a badly warped Triang Jinty of which I have a small army's worth of supply which came, remarkably, with a complete set of buffers (in fact, the only ones which have them, are the ones which the bodies are hilariously warped)

These have now been superglued in place.

izXLzbj.jpg

Edited by Din
  • Like 5

So with a bit of thunking, I decided to turn these guys not into 2-4-0s (because getting more Junior chassis is currently difficult, and I have another idea for it anyway).

So I've gone with a slightly more Corbs/Neilist 0-6-0 class of useful shunters instead. The whole class will have wound its way to the Fictional Preserved Railway of mine when they finally got rid of their railway network some time in the mid-late 60s.

So, the "first" of the class will be as perhaps initially built, with a (slightly) too tall funnel and older style of buffers.

xBcBoo8.jpg

The second would be the primary life of the class, and pretty much as intended body-wise.

6iTk9GM.jpg

Final one would be a rebuild at Derby at some point, receiving a somewhat LMS/MR boiler, this might require another go, I think as it's not stuck as level as I'd hoped, also extensive rebuilding the footplate is required.

fdytPTF.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

So as my plan is to create a preserved railway layout, I've bought a couple of bits and bobs off of Halden's Yard/Rustyrail. These are an Ivatt and an austerity tank, a wagon and coach. However, I wanted stuff that was either part way through restoration or had the "paint slapped on to stop it rusting" that projects on various heritage railways often do have when they're higher up the priority list.

So, I bought a couple of Great British Locomotives models, a Standard 4 tank and a 3F Jinty.

So the Standard 4 is on the edge of return to traffic, with the boiler having extensive work done and painted in red oxide, while the tanks etc have had a black undercoat applied ready.

Rx9GyQ3.jpg

EUutfmH.jpg

The Jinty meanwhile, has been out of traffic for longer, wheels rusting up (might need toning down) cover on chimney and bunker which has muck on it. The Red-Brown is the early livery used by the preserved line during the back end of the days when preserved railways had to adopt their own liveries.

zUmMwnZ.jpg

• Like 1

So thanks to Ebay I have a Pannier, and a spare body.

8743 didn't make it into preservation, so will retain its number as a fictional preserved engine.

The other body is 5775, which rather famously lives on the KWVR.

I also now own a natty airbrush now.

So after a quick waft over with the red oxide primer, it got blasted with the Red-brown after thinned down.

7fIf9f5.jpg

Then, I broke out some more paints. Some enamel gold, enamel grey and some acrylic flat black. End result before the final touching up of spots covered by the masking tape to protect the glazing.

JObG6YO.jpg

lswQWUj.jpg

Reckon it's coming along rather nicely. Bit more flat black, and some transfers for the railway's name along the side and done.

Edited by Din
  • Like 1