EY UP ! Somewhere in Deepest Devon a 7mm adventure

bgman

• RMweb Gold

17 hours ago, bgman said:

Oh dear the cylinder covers hit the edgings ! 

In other words, you are closely following GWR practice :D 

Edited by Mikkel
Edited to make sense. Need more coffee!
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

The Lady has lost her (front) curves !

71685279_frontmods.jpg.3fe4724d9209ef065df64d5ce98e4825.jpg

Backdating the front of the original kit from a curved front frame to the earlier straight framed version, other progress being made with the rear step etches ( one posed but not in its correct position behind the frame ) and backhhead also started.

One item I'm not satisfied with in the kit is the casting for the smokebox door which is integral to the smokebox. I have therefore ordered a better correct version from Laurie Griffin together with an early safety valve cover which will replace those supplied.

Another item on its way is a new lost wax cast chimney to replace the white metal offering. 

Cab now finished, whistles, handrails and rain strips soldered on, all in all I'm happy so far and enjoying the build.

G

Edited by bgman
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 8

Brief update on the Lady.....she now has a new happier face !

The replacement smokebox door / door handles and steamcock arrived today and having filed the original door casting off the Lady has a better looking face for me. I do like the Laurie Griffin range of castings.

1822465096_newsmokeboxdoor.jpg.7502709209c49e95d23360c9893289e9.jpg

Front running plate has also been partially completed and cylinder covers ( which will be modified ) temporarily placed. The buffer beam looks a bit skew whiffy in this shot but it is vertical.

Cosmetic splasher plates also temp placed just to get that feeling !

Hoping that the replacement taller style safety valve bonnet and replacement chimney arrive tomorrow ( I might also be lucky and get the Premier Components Coupling Rods and Connecting Rods too ! ).

Whilst cleaning up the various castings earlier I decided that the buffer castings ( whitemetal ) aren't up to much therefore I will seek to purchase some better quality turned brass ones both for the loco and tender.

G

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Small progress today, replacement chimney arrived and placed onto the smokebox. It will be polished to give the impression of the copper cap top, much better than painting the original whitemetal version.  Various other small items added which always seem to take an age but nevertheless necessary.

To get an impression of the overall build I've posed the loco with the tender from my City Class, overall length will amount to approx. 17+ inches....mmmm !

1311778415_Tender2.jpg.859309015eb11c8f80452472b21ff985.jpg

202616499_Withtender.jpg.75e38f65469ed1f7bf76f97713c32ecb.jpg

1032163906_tender3.jpg.50c18ada5b9d4b46749105e37ebae10c.jpg

G

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Another brief update.

The coupling rods have been temporarily placed and without any fettling I'm pleased to say there isn't any binding with smooth running

1984627628_Rodson.jpg.9de8ff44bb0619d9567128b4e32098c4.jpg

and with the body etc again temporarily placed.....plenty of cleaning up as can be seen but looking quite a beast bless her !

446489986_Siderodview.jpg.e85e528d58a57e70ba96622981db641a.jpg

Where there's brass......there is plenty to do ! 

A quick line up from L to R 

742317963_All3.jpg.40dc8e09355bb24257dbcffd93a7a013.jpg

4-6-0 Lady ? ( nameplates ordered ) to be disclosed at some further date.

Armstrong Goods outside frame ( number ordered )

44xx Class being back dated and modified from a Mitchell kit ( new correct frames awaited to produce the correct wheel arrangement )

Dapol 14xx in the background in grey primer still to complete.

I will get each loco motorised etc and then await the best time to paint en-masse.

G

p.s. once these are running there will be the Queen Class and River Class to start building, Oh! nearly forgot the Mitchell 517 too.

Edited by bgman
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Gold

You're spoiling us Grahame.

2 hours ago, bgman said:

Queen Class

That'll be a treat. There are some intriguing photos of them in their later days, used on regular cross country trains - including on the D&NSR.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Mikkel said:

You're spoiling us Grahame.

That'll be a treat. There are some intriguing photos of them in their later days, used on regular cross country trains - including on the D&NSR.

Thank you Mikkel.

More of a tease really, mainly to myself !

The Queen Class were rather an elegant locomotive I thought, as were the Rivers, and there are thankfully some good photographs available of each Class.

Take care

G

• Agree 1

• bgman changed the title to EY UP ! Somewhere in Deepest Devon a 7mm adventure

A quick heads up for anyone following the thread ( thank you to all who do ).

As the original title suggested I was proposing summat Up North but as it has progressed a larger influx from the West Country has taken over.

Therefore it seems logical ( to me anyway ) for a more fitting title in line with the contents I am posting.

Onwards and sideways upwards !!!

G

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Northroader said:

That lot did go beyond Wolverhampton. I.e. Northern Division.

I've spent too long living in Devon to change my accent now !

Cosmo Politan

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

The "Lady" will now have a name once she has had her paint applied.

Name / number / works and tender plates have arrived and I must say I am impressed with such small detail being etched on the works and tender plates. Although it is only possible to see the lettering and numbers on them with a magnifying glass ( or monocle ! ) I can assure you that they are there.

30751703_Nameplates.jpg.98391b5a0112ebeae4871d85393d9012.jpg

They will be revealed once she is through the works, I only hope I can do her justice !

G

Edited by bgman
  • Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Also, why is your track resting on a slice of rye bread? 

Crumbs ! 

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Very nice G. I see Vallejo bottles in the background, do you use Model Air for the painting?

Also, why is your track resting on a slice of rye bread? 

Thank you, I do use Model Air, which I love using in my airbrushes but not for my brass models, strictly enamels or cellulose ( I had a tin of early GWR Green made up several years ago and still good to use ).

As for the crusty thing under the track..... its all gone a-rye since my operation I'm seeing if the locos will convert to a semi vegetarian diet too ! 

(It's a dense rubber/ cork underlay which I will be using but I'm sure you already knew that, didn't you ?)

G

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

The "Lady" has had a bit of a flair up on her tender behind ! 

596343786_flare1.jpg.e96ae06572dfd462d91deb5e3442fadb.jpg

136869215_flare2.jpg.154657b10c6cbecec454df39d0d635f2.jpg

Creating the flair and bending the sides back afterwards is always a seemingly daunting task to me but I think I've managed it ?

Thankfully the curved flair falls on a half etch which makes forming slightly easier and there is also a half etch line where the top coal side retainer sheets occur in this kit. I have sometimes in previous builds heated the brass to soften it but this wasn't necessary on this one.

The top of the tender has been temporarily placed and fits perfectly too I happy to say, so on with her good looks !

I am making this a plain sided early version to match the loco era.

This is the first "Lady" in my life that seems not to want to answer back and is very willing.....now that makes a pleasant change !!! :o 

G

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
On 19/11/2020 at 15:27, bgman said:

The "Lady" will now have a name once she has had her paint applied.

Name / number / works and tender plates have arrived and I must say I am impressed with such small detail being etched on the works and tender plates. Although it is only possible to see the lettering and numbers on them with a magnifying glass ( or monocle ! ) I can assure you that they are there.

30751703_Nameplates.jpg.98391b5a0112ebeae4871d85393d9012.jpg

They will be revealed once she is through the works, I only hope I can do her justice !

G

Yo Grahame

No need to hide the name I have sused it, "Lady Boy" for today's inclusive society. :good:

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

2 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Yo Grahame

No need to hide the name I have sused it, "Lady Boy" for today's inclusive society. :good:

OY ! This is maid ( get it ) in Devon not a Taiwan import !!! :lol:

Edited by bgman
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

The ( unfinished ) tender has now been placed behind the "Lady" and its all looking very big......I do like it even at this stage of the build.

134179296_tenderandlocopartdone.jpg.f7c46f6f3f5ba817bfa95f1ba6319736.jpg 

I may have a rest from her for this evening as she's worn me out !  :o

G

Edited by bgman
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, bgman said:

The "Lady" has had a bit of a flair up on her tender behind ! 

There are some good creams for that nowadays.

12 hours ago, bgman said:

I may have a rest from her for this evening as she's worn me out !

Not surprised at your age.

• Funny 5

Well the, I suppose a change is as good as an Armstrong Goods.

To that end whilst waiting for various items I decided to drop back on the chassis build following some detailing to the "Lady" tender.

I did have an annoying very, very minor binding after fitting the motor yesterday which lead me to investigate this morning.

It turned out to be a frame spacer which had opened up slightly at a soldered joint....now remedied and solid once more thankfully after checking everything else, just one of those things eh !

The motor / gearbox I chose to install comes from Premier Components and is one from the Taff Vale Model range which is a replacement for the Mashima motor. Its the 1525 motor with attached gearbox and is a nice runner ( more photos later ).

The assembled chassis leaves very little room for a motor / gearbox assembly driving the rear axle and after a good chat with Bill of Premier I purchased the above and after a small mod it fits nice and snug.

Coupling rods are also from Premier Components, lovely milled rods which fit perfectly.

Brake gear has been assembled and will be screwed to the chassis after trials again with the motor fitted. I tend to use 12BA screws and nuts ( soldered to the inside of the chassis ) to make removal for spraying and any maintenance easier later on ).

The free running chassis, much happier now.

2034671394_Armstrongchassis.jpg.023c4a8bf4d634cc4298d83ea8addfd4.jpg

G

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

And now the ( some may say ) boring bit but thought i would share the last hours work on the workbench.....

It runs, and just as I want it too thank goodness !

Other than the switching noise of the DC controller there is very little noise which is what I was aiming for so quite happy now.

G

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Another boring video to show a temporary dcc decoder installed to test the slowest speed 1mph to commence the test. 

It will be replaced at some stage. 

Please excuse the filming...usual one hand on the controller etc !

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1