EY UP ! Somewhere in Deepest Devon a 7mm adventure

bgman

5 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Looks good Grahame. What make is the kit?

That cupboard of yours must be full by now. You'll be needing more storage space.

image.png.fdd510d1379f99bbcbf2d30c0ecfb4ee.png

Thank you, it's an Eric Underhill kit from way back when, and a majority of the fittings are in very good fettle I must say, but knowing me there may well be some parts being replaced.

As for the storage aspect.....well I think it's rather too modern for me, being a traditionalist and all that,  so I've opted for something a little more natural.....

4a9956d04498940bcb23270be06900da.jpg.106ae4523350804e1ddcc77fc9942897.jpg

And before anyone says it.....Yes ! I did cave in to its charm !

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 6

2021 With some alterations....

How things can change after a day !

Whilst thinking about making a new running / footplate to replace the "banana-ish" resin casting I decided rather than spend hours fretting out a replacement in metal to utilise my Silhouette Cutter and some spare plasticard sheets.

Taking the basic measurements from the casting and altering to suit the brass chassis I have managed to make a replacement.

Thoughts of my earlier coach build and how well it has stood up to handling was a factor in my decision plus it took the tedious work out of cutting the metal.

I will add some square section brass behind the valance to beef it up if needed but so far all seems fine.....

1511302539_newfootplate1.jpg.be8c9338b85c13e8c219d0829a8f7476.jpg

256554133_nwefootplate2.jpg.79f7308dcb3383f08cc81b5edff7ec21.jpg

217061905_newfootplate3.jpg.ccafac5af2941110c05a9ddda6a54861.jpg

The plasticard was riveted quite easily and with the aid of the Silhouette programme I made some small guide holes to centre the

riveter with equal spacings, here is a screen shot showing the running plate / buffer beams and valances with the rivet details highlighted in blue.

172235256_ScreenShot2021-01-08at17_12_34.png.12990ab706ff1cf9660a401d2b519b4c.png

As the original kit is a mixed media type I don't see any reason not to carry on in this fashion and experiment with it.

G

Edited by bgman
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 11

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, bgman said:

In essence i would agree however if you are careful and use a less aggressive solvent ( I always use Tamiya Extra Thin ) between layers then any problems tend to be rare, I have certainly found it to be so.

Apologies for posting these photographs of models which many will probably have seen over the years but hopefully they serve to highlight the case if care is taken with plasticard. I haven't had any distortion or delaminating etc to date with any of these.

My part finished model of the early bridge to the West of Bath Spa Station using laminated plasticard.

IMG_2316.jpg.aceaaae3ce2419b49aee4a7d6ecbbfd0.jpg 

A 7mm coach being built a few years ago from scratch using the Silhouette, again laminated and still fine.

DSCF8138.jpg.4fdad10d01dfd6329cdff63e4bdf95ab.jpg

and finally

A timber framed station building using laminated pieces....

IMG_0280.jpg.f01b1b5000939dbaafeaf71bba7df265.jpg

Time and care can result in some satisfactory models hopefully.

G

I always use a limonene-based solvent for laminating styrene. Tamiya make one (as do others).

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

My experience of making models using plastic card as a material is varied. Sometimes laminated bits warp, sometimes they don't, sometimes a thick single sheet warps and some times it doesn't. Adding bulk heads prevents warping, sometimes, and sometimes what was flat looks like a Romanian built class 56 with all the ripples when the bulkheads are added. 

Best bit about plastic card is it is cheap, easy to work and you can have fun making stuff.

012a.jpg.e5744a420deb65e5fe8b49ca5d230563.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Grahame, 

Ive just been reading through all this, you’ve certainly been busy!  Good to read that you’ve beaten the River into submission, it’s annoying when kits fight back like that:rolleyes:  It’s definitely going to be worth the hassle, Rivers are splendid looking locos:)

My 2021 class was built using a “Zero Zephers” kit, which appears to be very similar to your Eric Underhill version.  The saddle tank and bunker in my kit were resin castings exactly like yours, however the footplate, cab sides and roof were etched brass sheet.  I’ve no idea of the chronology of these kits, perhaps mine was a later edition.

I’m very Impressed by your Silhouette produced solution, CADCAM is still akin to witchcraft as far as I’m concerned :D

BW

Dave

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

1 hour ago, wenlock said:

Ive just been reading through all this, you’ve certainly been busy!  Good to read that you’ve beaten the River into submission, it’s annoying when kits fight back like that:rolleyes:  It’s definitely going to be worth the hassle, Rivers are splendid looking locos:)

My 2021 class was built using a “Zero Zephers” kit, which appears to be very similar to your Eric Underhill version.  The saddle tank and bunker in my kit were resin castings exactly like yours, however the footplate, cab sides and roof were etched brass sheet.  I’ve no idea of the chronology of these kits, perhaps mine was a later edition.

I’m very Impressed by your Silhouette produced solution, CADCAM is still akin to witchcraft as far as I’m concerned :D

Hi Dave,

Thank you for you kind comments, I hope the read didn't bore you too much ! :o

I think I've managed to stem the tide with the River which did fight back ever so slightly and now waiting for a few bits before carrying on.

The 2021 Class was picked up for a snip and has been languishing awaiting this year to come around. I knew there may be problems but not insurmountable, it would have been nice to have an etched sheet for the footplate but hey-ho !

I have noticed that some of the resin cast running plates on other models have tended to suffer from being chipped if not handled properly so I think the plasticard version may be slightly less prone to that. If in the future if I decide to replace it with a brass or nickel silver version at least I have all of the measurements stored in the Silhouette programme, speaking of that.......I learnt all of my witchcraft from my ex so I can handle a broom pretty well now !!! :crazy_mini:

All the best for now,

G

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Mike 84C said:

I, have a vision----- and it a'int you with the cape and pointy hat on!!!! Broom for sweeping or a Junction? :locomotive:

You know me far too well mate ! :D

• Friendly/supportive 1

2021 With some alterations....TAKE 2 !

Following on from my posting about the chassis I started to make some splashers using the Silhouette again.....

1594362793_originalsplashertrial.jpg.2e7f30394a28dc1877bc82ebc9eb8ca5.jpg

They came out fairly well I thought and applied them to the running plate but then decided to carefully cut the splashers from resin cast running plate ( you know, the banana shaped one ! )  and start afresh. The plasticard splashers can be seen to the rear of the photograph with the resin ones roughly laid onto a new running plate.....

1275294543_newrunningplatesplashers.jpg.2e75184e4d927c28702b0c55f20380cb.jpg

Although the plasicard ones would have been out of harms way I felt that the resin splashers would be more resilient therefore I plan to do  "cut and shut" onto a new running plate. It has been altered too, I am now using 1mm thick material with a 0.75mm overlay ( and also below out of sight just to balance the dynamics of using plasticard sheet ).

The original running plate is quite robust once fitted to the chassis so I think this should be better.

It is now marked out for application of rivets as before which will need to be done again but I find it quite enjoyable once I get going.

As the other parts are stored on the Silhouette files it's only a matter of making new valances and buffer beams again.

Oh ! I do faff about but then if something doesn't settle with me i have to fiddle with it until it does :good:

G

Edited by bgman
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

2021 With some alterations....TAKE 2:1 

This afternoon has seen the running plate re-done on the Silhouette Cutter and riveted along with the valances and buffer beams.

Once all glued together the resin splashers were successfully fitted into place. There is some minor work to be done to the small gap to the rear ones where they don't quite meet the firebox but not a problem. Etched coal rails have also been fitted to the bunker casting.

Her she is with the buffers and various boiler fittings placed temporarily,.....

1374121323_splashersinplace.jpg.587a55b6566c862479db8de307724a25.jpg

1340379095_splashersinplace2.jpg.3160b4365a76fc1375b498154cd6694d.jpg

I'm pleased with the scratch built running plate which is certainly much better than the original resin version and all wheels clear it when pushed along the track.

G

Edited by bgman
stuff !
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 10

• RMweb Gold

Very nice work on the running plate Grahame. I'm impressed by the rivets, they are so neat (rivet envy, is that a thing?).

In the above discussion, I don't think you mentioned how many layers you laminated for the running plate? (apologies if I missed it). 

4 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Very nice work on the running plate Grahame. I'm impressed by the rivets, they are so neat (rivet envy, is that a thing?).

In the above discussion, I don't think you mentioned how many layers you laminated for the running plate? (apologies if I missed it). 

Hi Mikkel, thank you for your comments ( and of course all the others who are pressing the buttons, it is very much appreciated ).

The rivets are produced with a "Leakey Lee" ( no I'd never heard of them either until I bought it secondhand  )  riveting tool I picked up a few years ago. As it is a basic tool without any indexing I marked the positions of the rivets on the drawing prior to cutting with the Silhouette. They are denoted on the CAD drawing in another colour and one pass is made on the plasticard, just enough to highlight its position when I come to do them. I have got the "feel" for the amount of pressure to use with various materials to enable then to look something like consistent hopefully.

As for the layers, that's an odd one ! Get it ? :lol:

Seriously thought, I always use an odd amount in order to counteract any possible twisting / malforming of the plasticard. A top running plate sheet of 0.5mm with the rivet detail was laminated onto a 1mm sheet and then another 0.5mm sheet underneath between the frames, being 2mm thickness overall now I have found it to be pretty rigid and I am satisfied that it will be robust enough especially with the buffer beams and valances glued in place.

I am tempted to have a go at using the Silhouette cutter to make some non-working inside motion together with other suitable bits and bobs, I'll ponder on that for now ?

G

Edited by bgman
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Grahame, I looked up the Leakey Lee, looks to be a serious tool. Apparently there was a "double" version. 

I agree about odd-numbered laminations. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Enjoying your builds Gbloke

Thank you matey, how is your  "little"  project coming along ?

Edited by bgman

• RMweb Premium

Some very interesting modelling here and I must look into the silhouette cutter but what has really made my day is the Wilko place mat.

Either that or I've done well to find a convincing replica :)

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Funny 1