EY UP ! Somewhere in Deepest Devon a 7mm adventure

bgman

2 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

Nice! Definitely has a Castlefield (Manchester) feel to it.

I'm afraid you've lost me, I know it's a pretty relaxed atmosphere on here but I am now modelling GWR in Devon and have abandoned the original 4mm proposal.

Edited by bgman
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, bgman said:

I'm afraid you've lost me, I know it's a pretty relaxed atmosphere on here but I am now modelling GWR in Devon and have abandoned the original 4mm proposal.

Sorry, I think I must have been replying to an old post. Ignore me!

• Friendly/supportive 1

Loosing the plot !........

Preamble - I started to get cabin fever over the weekend and tried a couple of rides on my mountain bike in an attempt to freshen my mind and well being but with the amount of people out and about I decided to return home as I didn't feel particularly safe or happy.

As you will see I have decided to put some standard O Gauge track down on the floor and " release the inner little boy " today.

I was beginning to loose the plot since my last posting here and heading for a modelling burn out, therefore I decided to do something very simple and " play trains ".  It gave me the opportunity to run the Armstrong Goods, albeit the loco minus tender, to see how she performs on a pretend layout.

Bearing in mind the trackwork is only temporary I was pleased to just run this and other locos up and down to see how they performed on basic track.

I have also been looking for a book that I'd purchased several years ago but since my move it has evaded all attempts to be found.

Therefore I rang Simon at The Titfield Thunderbolt Bookshop on Tuesday and today the book arrived.....

1519086317_Artofweathering.jpg.bb03b174a043b02359cf84aba7f62645.jpg

Martyn's "The Art of Weathering" which I have always found to be a go to whenever I want a reference and would heartily recommend as a damn good read even if you don't want to weather a model.

Well there you go chaps and chapesses, having a rest from proper modelling ( if that's what you want to call what I do ! ), I may well throw down a couple of cushions on the floor again tomorrow and just play.

G

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

A well-deserved change of gears I think Grahame, you have done more in recent months than many people achieve in years.

The carpet layout looks fun (just beware of the monster, I hear it hides under the couch sometimes). And such quiet running too, maybe we have all been missing the point all these years. Back to the roots! 

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Morning Grahame,

Playing trains is an essential part of the hobby.  I have quite the extensive selection  of sectional track for the dining table  to produce a 'test facility', including points, buffer stops etc...........

Not withstanding that, I simply fire up Bleat Wharf or Sheep Dip and lose myself in some shunting. 

Extremely therapeutic . 

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Grahame,

The Armstrong runs beautifully, there's something rather lovely about outside cranks:)

Martin Welsh's book is also my "go to" for weathering advice.  His suggestion of using a touch of "gunmetal coloured paint" to simulate worn dry wood is inspired and gives a lovely subtle sparkle to the finish!

BW

Dave

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 hours ago, Mikkel said:

A well-deserved change of gears I think Grahame, you have done more in recent months than many people achieve in years.

The carpet layout looks fun (just beware of the monster, I hear it hides under the couch sometimes). And such quiet running too, maybe we have all been missing the point all these years. Back to the roots! 

Hi Mikkel,

Thank you, sometimes it is good to break away and go back to our roots, it puts it back into perspective sometimes and as you mentioned in one of your blogs.....How do you eat an elephant ? ......Maybe I've overindulged by doing too much ? :scratchhead:

3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Grahame,

Playing trains is an essential part of the hobby.  I have quite the extensive selection  of sectional track for the dining table  to produce a 'test facility', including points, buffer stops etc...........

Not withstanding that, I simply fire up Bleat Wharf or Sheep Dip and lose myself in some shunting. 

Extremely therapeutic . 

Rob. 

Hi Rob,

Good to hear from you and I hope you're still taking it easy matey ?

I have kept both 4mm and 7mm basic track just for that purpose over the years and as I have indicated it has been rather therapeutic, although the old legs creak a bit when I try to get up off the floor these days ! :senile:

25 minutes ago, wenlock said:

Hi Grahame,

The Armstrong runs beautifully, there's something rather lovely about outside cranks:)

Martin Welsh's book is also my "go to" for weathering advice.  His suggestion of using a touch of "gunmetal coloured paint" to simulate worn dry wood is inspired and gives a lovely subtle sparkle to the finish!

BW

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thank you to you also, yes she does run rather well which has pleased me no end, I do like watching those cranks going around ( bit sad really but I like it ! ) .

The use of Gunmetal paint was a real game changer for me when I first used it, having spoken with Martyn some good few years ago when I bumped into him one day on Crediton Station. He was part of a local 7mm group who had their meetings in the old station rooms which were the windows to the left of this photograph....

1748629_e996106f.jpg.6a1c528e3e4bd62ef7469885e9d230c4.jpg

The group also made a model of the station which was displayed in the rooms ( no longer there as the group moved out after new ownership of the lease ) and here are some very poor photographs I took when it was in situ....

IMG_3676.jpg.8bbed7b6ee246dc757a2ce12f20799ad.jpg

IMG_3677.jpg.7761bbd179a17f1123ed81a788ecf2c5.jpg

IMG_3678.jpg.b9ef7d55da7dd92a4f6da4c7b8796a4d.jpg

It was difficult to get a clear image due to the glass casing which covered the model.

Crediton Station being a typical Brunellian design provided me with a wealth of information upon which I modelled my model and I am lucky enough to have lived very close by a few years ago. Even now it will only be a short train ride away if needed ( current situation accepted obviously ).

Until next time......

G

• Like 11

Riding high.....oops !

First may I thank all who have responded to my recent posts above, I find it encouraging.

Now then, reference my "play track", one interesting / annoyance I have found having run my Dapol Autocoaches through the long radius Curved Peco turnouts is that they all derail when going through the straight route from the frog to the heel. The bogies hit the machined stock rail inset for the switch rails.

I have run most of my other locos and stock through without a specific problem going out at the heel end. It is worth noting here that they all run on Slaters or Peco wheels all set to the correct back-to-back gauge. Having looked at the Dapol profile they appear to have a slight radius to them thereby making them run up onto the outer rail. I thought it worth mentioning just in case anyone else has a potential problem with this.

As an aside I did speak with a Tech guy at Peco who also suggested it was the Dapol wheels that were causing the anomaly and interestingly he mentioned that the Autocoach was one item not tested on their in-house layout. 

After making my own pointwork using the excellent Greenwood Model Railway products this hasn't happened with the Autocoaches and I specifically tested them again without any problems on my own track work, interesting !

I have cropped a previous photograph of my Greenwood pointwork on my ongoing "proper layout" which may be of interest ?

IMG_3097.jpg.cedafc3bf6bdfc3f1e895668d2e9f216.jpg

I wonder if anyone else has encountered this phenomenon ?

I live and learn.

G

Edited by bgman
inserted the word Curved to be more specific
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, bgman said:

Riding high.....oops !

First may I thank all who have responded to my recent posts above, I find it encouraging.

Now then, reference my "play track", one interesting / annoyance I have found having run my Dapol Autocoaches through the long radius Curved Peco turnouts is that they all derail when going through the straight route from the frog to the heel. The bogies hit the machined stock rail inset for the switch rails.

I have run most of my other locos and stock through without a specific problem going out at the heel end. It is worth noting here that they all run on Slaters or Peco wheels all set to the correct back-to-back gauge. Having looked at the Dapol profile they appear to have a slight radius to them thereby making them run up onto the outer rail. I thought it worth mentioning just in case anyone else has a potential problem with this.

As an aside I did speak with a Tech guy at Peco who also suggested it was the Dapol wheels that were causing the anomaly and interestingly he mentioned that the Autocoach was one item not tested on their in-house layout. 

After making my own pointwork using the excellent Greenwood Model Railway products this hasn't happened with the Autocoaches and I specifically tested them again without any problems on my own track work, interesting !

I have cropped a previous photograph of my Greenwood pointwork on my ongoing "proper layout" which may be of interest ?

I live and learn.

G

Is that 4mm or 7mm Dapol, Graeme? I've no experience with 7mm but in 4mm a lot of Dapol stock is notorious for derailing. A change of wheels nearly always fixes that.

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Is that 4mm or 7mm Dapol, Graeme? I've no experience with 7mm but in 4mm a lot of Dapol stock is notorious for derailing. A change of wheels nearly always fixes that.

It's Dapols 7mm Autocoach, I haven't had any problems with their 4mm stock but it is interesting to hear.

I have had a brief look at the bogies and the wheels are set in bearings, without removing one to investigate an initial look seems that it would be quite a task for removal and replacement which was my first thought. I may bite the bullet and see what can be done by putting some Slaters wheels in their place which I feel would be the answer to the problem. There is an added "problem" with them being connected for picking up from the track to provide lighting and power to a speaker and decoder if one wishes to fit these which I don't .

All that said, overall they are a lovely model with some excellent paintwork so I will need to be careful but then I don't intend running them on the Peco track as they work perfectly on my hand built pointwork. 

G  

• Informative/Useful 1

Shortly after posting the above I had a thought and looked for spares available for the Autocoach and came up with the image below with highlighted arrows placed by me.

1960816968_dapolbogie.jpg.dbbdff3b120797626e21f7083860ea71.jpg

I couldn't see how the wheels could be "prised" from the bogie sides without causing some damage but looking at the above I assume once the central pivot screw is removed it reveals two crosshead screws ( not visible when fixed to the underframe ).

As some of the pick-up gubbins is on the inner face it seems that by removing these screws then it can be parted into separate pieces.

Something to have a look at later.

G

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

FYI in respect of the above post -

I took one of the bogies off the Autocoach this morning and as I had assumed the two screws do hold the sides in place. There are four bearings set loosely into either side of the frames which drop out. The ends of each axle do not match that of Slaters axles and without some modification I don't see me attempting to replace the Dapol wheelsets, this is mainly due to the fact that they will be running on my own built pointwork over which there isn't a problem.

Hey Ho ! Worth investigating though, onwards and upwards.

G

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, bgman said:

The ends of each axle do not match that of Slaters axles and without some modification I don't see me attempting to replace the Dapol wheelsets...

Correct...  both in terms of length and cone angle.  I arranged with David White for Slaters to produce conversion axles for me - an axle with the length and cone angle to fit the underframe of recent Dapol wagon issues and the bogies of the Autocoach... with the wheel seat to suit Slater's wheels.

The axles are available only from the Scaleseven Group Stores - and are suitable for Slater's wheels for 0-FS and S7 gauges.  Note that these axles are not suitable for use with the Dapol HAA wagon.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 22/01/2021 at 15:09, bgman said:

Riding high.....oops !

I live and learn.

G

I have mentioned my experiences with Dapol 7 mm wheelsets here before.Check the back to back and adjust by twisting the wheels as you move them,in or out.I found the B2B tended to be too small.

Dapol's QC on wheelsets seems to leave a lot to be desired.

atb

Phil

Edited by 34006
Punctuation!
  • Friendly/supportive 1

MEGA ! well sort of....

As i currently have a servo controller from MegaPoints which was being operated as a lash-up from old Peco switches I decided to call Dave last week and order the dedicated Switch Panel box.

Arrived this morning and it's a straight forward Plug n Play ( as are most of his other products ) which makes life so much easier with wiring etc. and together with a purchase made from him at the last Taunton show for servo mounts I will be able to make quick work of pointwork and signal operation for the proposed layout.

With the Servo Controller board there is an easy programming mode for all connected servos for individual pointwork plus the ability to provide the "bounce" function to any signals,  which is something I have already tried out on one signal I have built.

1106541200_MegaPointsbox.jpg.a571ffcff1ea7ce3b761fa2f3c282b8c.jpg

Service from Dave is prompt and friendly as I have come to expect and the products do exactly as promised.

More servos have been ordered today to complete the required amount for the pointwork / signals giving me something to play with whilst having a break from the loco builds.

I had original considered using some of the DCC Concepts levers but found them to be a faff to connect to the servos plus all the additional wiring so they will go back into the cupboard.

I like the KISS principle hence using the Switch Panel which is clearly labelled and has the wiring connected already.

p.s. although it may seem like an advertisement for MegaPoint products I am just another very satisfied customer.

Speaking of simple this is worth watching taking it just a little step further !

Just lovely !

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

1 minute ago, Northroader said:

It’s frightening how good that layout is! What am I doing?

Absolutely agree and David is such an amiable chap too, years of diigent work has paid dividends and I consider it to be one of the best private layouts around.

G

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, bgman said:

MEGA ! well sort of....

As i currently have a servo controller from MegaPoints which was being operated as a lash-up from old Peco switches I decided to call Dave last week and order the dedicated Switch Panel box.

Arrived this morning and it's a straight forward Plug n Play ( as are most of his other products ) which makes life so much easier with wiring etc. and together with a purchase made from him at the last Taunton show for servo mounts I will be able to make quick work of pointwork and signal operation for the proposed layout.

With the Servo Controller board there is an easy programming mode for all connected servos for individual pointwork plus the ability to provide the "bounce" function to any signals,  which is something I have already tried out on one signal I have built.

1106541200_MegaPointsbox.jpg.a571ffcff1ea7ce3b761fa2f3c282b8c.jpg

Service from Dave is prompt and friendly as I have come to expect and the products do exactly as promised.

More servos have been ordered today to complete the required amount for the pointwork / signals giving me something to play with whilst having a break from the loco builds.

I had original considered using some of the DCC Concepts levers but found them to be a faff to connect to the servos plus all the additional wiring so they will go back into the cupboard.

I like the KISS principle hence using the Switch Panel which is clearly labelled and has the wiring connected already.

p.s. although it may seem like an advertisement for MegaPoint products I am just another very satisfied customer.

Speaking of simple this is worth watching taking it just a little step further !

Just lovely !

That sector plate is brilliant.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, 2ManySpams said:

Very impressive control panel. Just one or two levers! 

Having bought and installed a megapoints controller on a small side project I would echo your positive comments Gbloke.

It is such an easy install Spammerz and it saves all that soldering etc with the added convenience of giving me 12 servos to play with.

Your project will benefit from them too as I am sure you've found out, plus with the minimal cost of a servo it's a no brainer should one fail compared to a " standard " point motor replacement. I have purchased 8 more at a cost of £ 1.87 each !

As an aside I also have a liking for the LNWR and for those who may not have seen the 7mm layout Crook Street I thought I would post the latest offering here.....

Enjoy !

G

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, bgman said:

It is such an easy install Spammerz and it saves all that soldering etc with the added convenience of giving me 12 servos to play with.

Your project will benefit from them too as I am sure you've found out, plus with the minimal cost of a servo it's a no brainer should one fail compared to a " standard " point motor replacement. I have purchased 8 more at a cost of £ 1.87 each !

As an aside I also have a liking for the LNWR and for those who may not have seen the 7mm layout Crook Street I thought I would post the latest offering here.....

Enjoy !

G

Using the Megapoints controller was a good experience on Polsarrett. So much so that I'm thinking of using them and other Megapoints kit on Pencarrow.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Chairman of the Board(s).....

There has been a slight change of plan......

The elephant in the ( modelling ) room was my original layout plan and boards, which many may have seen in the background when I have posed some of my loco builds.

The space is restricted in length to just about 3m, and the boards + a revolving fiddle yard didn't satisfy my aims, I suppose that's the problem with 0 Gauge in addition to which at 600mm wide plus side add-ons I felt it was perhaps too much.

Anyway, after having a "play" with the Peco track I realised that it would be possible to have more boards / track made in a modular fashion branching off to the other side of my living room for a further 2.3m run, ahh ! the benefits of living by myself and no one to moan at me ! :lol:  

( Just a note to say it wouldn't be a permanent set up as each of the 3 boards can be easily taken apart and put back into the modelling room )

With the original boards ( see the first photograph ) and side additions bolted on it gives me more track to run on plus a traverser at the far end. Further modules can then branch off at the far end ( left ) to somewhere in the distance.

Out with Mr.Templot and a new track plan has been printed off to fit the altered boards ( second photograph ) and together with the traverser I now have 3.25m + 900mm to play on, the extra 250mm makes a small but welcome difference to what I want to do.

The centre board with the holes is a recycled revolving fiddle yard which will be covered with underlay.

1224494242_IMG_3622copy.jpg.3e2ee88898b68d924d234b7971ecc00c.jpg

1559123890_IMG_3623copy.jpg.d8b3624eb9f0c3583cab8a3dbd56484e.jpg

In addition, whilst the glue was drying I set about playing on my Silhouette cutter and produced some station awnings for my small timber framed station building and i am reasonably pleased with how they came out. The photograph shows the end awning and I will print off the front awning later.

166635821_canopytrail.jpg.44b64e00f05f1fca9ee4952d1b3a19de.jpg

Until next time.....

Take care and stay safely modelling,

G

Edited by bgman
extra note
  • Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 1