EY UP ! Somewhere in Deepest Devon a 7mm adventure

bgman

Being a bit of a CAD today ! 

More playing / tinkering to see what I can do .....

303604479_ScreenShot2021-09-01at15_35_23.jpg.26efa46f4a9dfa779ed7a3b5497f9eee.jpg

403398380_ScreenShot2021-09-01at15_35_34.jpg.4b1ba25636e01f55088f4e56d4089ed4.jpg

Not perfect by any stretch of the imagination but if I don't try, well you know .....

G

Edited by bgman
stuff
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

3 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Good man, the makings of a LSWR 330 class saddleback, knew you'd come around eventually ;)

NO !

Go and wash your mouth out !  :yahoo:

images.jpeg.1a49c6143afb2ec6a668835a6f7b1630.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

On 30/08/2021 at 14:43, bgman said:

Thank you, all very much trial and error at the moment and as I said previously, a steep learning curve for me.

This is for a basic 4mm model at the moment which has been sent to a friend to assess and hopefully resin print with a view to achieving a better, smoother print quality.

I wouldn't consider using an outside company for the amount I want to produce, just a personal thing really. I'm more inclined to give serious thought to getting my own 3D resin printer if this works out. I'm very flattered that you would want one from such an amateur, lets see what comes of this before making any hard and fast decisions.

Here is the artwork I have sent off for consideration.....

1042329248_ScreenShot2021-08-30at13_26_20.png.b16f766d4eaf3fc5973fbd12584d6e95.png

If, and it's a BIG IF currently, all seems to be fine I want to make a small portfolio of useful items for my on-going 7mm stuff.

Rodding stools, signal posts etc come to mind initially.

Fingers....and everything else crossed for now ! 

G

UPDATE ON THE WAGON BODY 3D PRINT

It arrived at lunchtime from my friend and I must say I am pretty happy with how it's turned out. Bodes well for possible future work ! 

Two photographs of it on the support structure and no print lines showing at all ( placed next to an .....AHEM ! .....original kit body ) .

There are a couple of very minor tweaks I want to do but overall I'm impressed especially with the rigidity of the whole body.

IMG_4719.jpeg.a3bbf681dc0d0a12753fa826652561ca.jpeg

IMG_4720.jpeg.c5ae128c76be9094acf48596ed5b88bd.jpeg

G

Edited by bgman
word
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

Just put of interest, what sort of price does it work out per print?

Thank you for asking.

That is an unknown quantity just at the moment, it's relevant to various cost implications i.e. print run times, amount of resin used, number / size of prints fitting onto the plate etc so I am unable to be specific at this stage, sorry if it doesn't answer your question.

It is a first trial run as I am very new to this and given time I am sure I will be able to be more specific.

Edited by bgman
a word
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, bgman said:

It is a first trial run as I am very new to this and given time I am sure I will be able to be more specific.

Understood! It certainly appeals as something to try myself, as does the silhouette cutter. 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Mock ( Up of ) The Week ! 

Just having an afternoon of mockery, cutting cardboard up basically as you do and plonking it on the proposed small side project...

IMG_4745.jpg.26482b4aa500efddc5d628675d9ca151.jpg

IMG_4746.jpg.e922aaebea4135159be37ce34a26a7f5.jpg

IMG_4747.jpg.33705f8a049f3c5d1b2912efff8363a3.jpg

IMG_4748.jpg.2cc774f7aa9737d5622d07241a7bbaf5.jpg

The walling is just an enlarged photograph stuck onto the cardboard.

Basic photos to give me something to work from.

G

p.s. the wagons are only there to give me a sense of scale.

Edited by bgman
  • Like 10

15 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

By the way Big G wot you doing with a diesel?

Hi Morty,

Long story but in brief it brings back happy memories.

When I was "gricing" at Banbury Station as a yoof I got to know one of the local drivers very well. 

One Sunday evening he came on shift and as he parked his car next to mine he asked if I was doing anything special for the next  couple of hours.

There was a Class 25 ( similar to the one pictured above ) standing in the siding which he was booked to take light to Bescot. 

He asked if I would like to go with him........well....

Blue coat donned and off we went, my very first mainline ride and I was thrilled to have been asked !

As it was a very quiet evening late summer there were very few "officials" around to ask who I was but back then no one seemed to mind so much, hence the diesel.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, bgman said:

Mock ( Up of ) The Week ! 

Just having an afternoon of mockery, cutting cardboard up basically as you do and plonking it on the proposed small side project...

IMG_4745.jpg.26482b4aa500efddc5d628675d9ca151.jpg

IMG_4746.jpg.e922aaebea4135159be37ce34a26a7f5.jpg

IMG_4747.jpg.33705f8a049f3c5d1b2912efff8363a3.jpg

IMG_4748.jpg.2cc774f7aa9737d5622d07241a7bbaf5.jpg

The walling is just an enlarged photograph stuck onto the cardboard.

Basic photos to give me something to work from.

G

p.s. the wagons are only there to give me a sense of scale.

There is a reason for this divergence......

Just thought I would explain the reason for the new side project for anyone who is wondering why I have gone off on another tangent.

Having followed various 4mm layout threads and seen how much "play" value they have given their respective owners ( you know who you are hopefully ) I decided to use what spare items of track and materials were in stock.

The main GWR themed project is slowly getting there but I want to have a small, well for 7mm anyway, layout to relax with that doesn't take too much out of me and provide some simple pleasure just shunting etc.

I am intending not to spend too much in time and money to achieve it hopefully utilising basic track and "stuff" that I already have in stock.

Harking back to my main layout, I hadn't done any modelling whatsoever for the best part of a year or more some of which was caused partly by trying to obtain the required materials etc.

With this one I expect there will be enough to build it to a reasonable standard and enable it to be set up quickly and easily when needed, much like a certain Scandinavian baseboard layout / s ! 

Onwards / sideways and upwards playmates.

G

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2

12 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I do like that there diseasel, G. 

Mmmmmm......

Thank you Rob, it's a HEAVY bu££er and runs really well too ! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, bgman said:

Thank you Rob, it's a HEAVY bu££er and runs really well too ! 

bu££er or buqqer?  

Actually it must be, brian's just kicked in and I've just realised it's a 7mm beasty.  It's probably the same weight as the new *vaccum cleaner I just bought (which is approx the same as a nine pack of bog rolls and a white loaf from Sainsbury's).

* yes, after several attempts I've finally murdered Henry, who will be going for spares or repairs :O on the local freecycle.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

* yes, after several attempts I've finally murdered Henry, who will be going for spares or repairs

Never liked those vacuum cleaners, always seemed to be laughing straight at me when I used one ! :lol:

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

( Em ) Bossing it or.....going slowly up the wall on the side project !

Having used some photographs for the initial mock-up of the walling I decided to try a method trialed on some previous projects.

Looking in my bitsa scrap material I found some dense foam and decided to try embossing the stonework on it which will hopefully give the 3 dimensional look.

After an hour I have managed to achieve this following the photograph as a basis......

IMG_4752-1.jpeg.dab711f095db044ff0d86bf22bf5d0d7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2431.jpeg.a16f1e9f2b1f4b12f9b22f5eced29269.jpeg

The embossing was done using a blunt pencil rather than any formal tools which I find more suited for this material.

Not an original process granted but once I have "enhanced" it I hope to have something made from the scrap box !

G

Edited by bgman
a word
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 4

A Noisy Rat in the house !

This afternoon was spent installing a Zimo sound decoder and replacement board in my O Gauge Class 25/3.

I was slightly apprehensive to begin with due to the "notorious" Heljan wiring but "slowly does it" and making notes I managed to get it installed, and here she is, please excuse the quality - one handed videoing on my iPhone and operating at a the same time ! I'd give my left arm t the ambidextrous :lol:

There are plenty of buttons to press on the project but I've kept it simple for this video just to give a flavour of a Rats sound.

Hope you enjoy playmates.

G

Edited by bgman
  • Like 13