EY UP ! Somewhere in Deepest Devon a 7mm adventure

bgman

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, BrushType4 said:

Nice job on the Building! 

It is indeed and I'm wondering if @bgmandoes commissions for the smaller scale modeller?

But...

Still don't know if the GWR constipation stories are true though.  It's a known fact the Southern and it's successors were regular as clockwork (Waterloo time of course).

Edited by Tim Dubya
marmalade
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, BrushType4 said:

Nice job on the Building! 

Thank you,

It hasn't all been plain sailing ( my problem due to deciding on a final finish ) but it helps that the kit is a top notch product in the first place. I would definitely recommend the kit and if i were to build another I would certainly look at your range.

Regards,

G

p.s. apologies for the poor photographs !  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

It is indeed and I'm wondering if @bgmandoes commissions for the smaller scale modeller?

In answer to your original question, I have done a few as and when time permits but not something I normally promote but thanks for asking the question.

It really started when I took this on almost twenty years ago for a friends large S & D R layout, daunting but most enjoyable and I learnt quite a few things whilst making it....

IMG_4876.jpg.bede3e4ff814d6732d6612866185b602.jpg

IMG_4877.jpeg.17718ee0189ffe6de723868d789caa3b.jpeg

IMG_4878.jpeg.ac6f832f722d47ec2657ff1dacc4b068.jpeg

Whether I've improved over the years I will leave for others to decide.

G

Edited by bgman
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 12
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Wowsers!

That is an amazing piece of work G, I don't think I have a copy of 137, so I'll have to track one down from Mr Castens.  

Looking through the archives of the Bath Chron, I did find a picture of the construction in progress though.

1391253302_GreenParkstationOctober1981.jpg.c1728305261878a5999988c13e5ee1e8.jpg

PS: I used to work in the vaults to the left when it was f.Stop, community gallery and darkrooms.  

Edited by Tim Dubya
picture
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, bgman said:

the embryo of the "real" Bath Station

Steady now... ;)

Beautiful and masterly work young sir.

I believe the Great Way Round's River Avon Bridge was originally laminated wood, know idea what it's made of now (looks like Pigeon sh1te to me).

Oh and they've give the front a bit of tidy up, moved heaven and earth to create Brunel Square, where the coal wagon turntable and sidings for the power station were.

1849280386_BathSpa.jpg.10d31b4129aa8d82ac323ced83efce2e.jpg

340268165_BrunelSquare.jpg.a5fadf166a5c42772b3c6ae9b9805423.jpg

73671517_BrunelSquare2.jpg.2a03d953ffb777c4539383ce0099f9b5.jpg

Cheers

Dubs

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Steady now... ;)

Beautiful and masterly work young sir.

I believe the Great Way Round's River Avon Bridge was originally laminated wood, know idea what it's made of now (looks like Pigeon sh1te to me).

Oh and they've give the front a bit of tidy up, moved heaven and earth to create Brunel Square, where the coal wagon turntable and sidings for the power station were.

1849280386_BathSpa.jpg.10d31b4129aa8d82ac323ced83efce2e.jpg

340268165_BrunelSquare.jpg.a5fadf166a5c42772b3c6ae9b9805423.jpg

73671517_BrunelSquare2.jpg.2a03d953ffb777c4539383ce0099f9b5.jpg

Cheers

Dubs

Hi Timo,

I had visited since the original sidings etc were removed and have seen the "new areas" which despite best efforts by the architects don't quite do it for me. I understand why it has been done but "it's ruinzed it" ( as Gollum would say ) for me being an old traditionalist n all that.

I was fortunate to speak to the architects involved and had a good insight as to the "inner workings" of the station from original Brunellian files / drawings so my views had been coloured somewhat.

I agree with you about the new bridge, the original cast iron and timber one had more character going for it.

G

Edited by bgman
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, bgman said:

In answer to your original question, I have done a few as and when time permits but not something I normally promote but thanks for asking the question.

It really started when I took this on almost twenty years ago for a friends large S & D R layout, daunting but most enjoyable and I learnt quite a few things whilst making it....

G

Hi Grahame

One little question, why didn't you model the Sainsbury's building to make the model complete?

And who was this Ivor Peters bloke the road to Sainsbury's is named after? Was he the the shops first manager?

Whoops that is two questions.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
50 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hi Grahame

One little question, why didn't you model the Sainsbury's building to make the model complete?

And who was this Ivor Peters bloke the road to Sainsbury's is named after? Was he the the shops first manager?

Whoops that is two questions.

I tell you what is a fun thing to do, try and find out the name of the soap factory in Bath owned by the Peters family. 

Bath and Soap are such good bedfellows.

Edited by Tim Dubya
'
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

too easy, just clear, sorry klear plastikard init

BGP.jpg.0853144cd4d0161aadd378ca540ddda6.jpg

Edited by Tim Dubya
wallabys
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

10 hours ago, bgman said:

While we're in Bath mode I did start the embryo of the "real" Bath Station some years ago but unfortunately it had to be scrapped when I moved. I had planned on a mixed gauge 4mm layout and was allowed to survey the whole station for the purpose of the proposed model.

I know it has been shown in the past but just for some sort of continuity I thought I would show it on my own thread for anyone who may be vaguely interested....

IMG_0006.jpg.52672f47dcf2d660396a6a52d6b2d8fd.jpg

IMG_0009.jpg.65e885520fac90d40f29234891a5036f.jpg

IMG_2315.jpg.06a56a998eaa86405cb4cdba3248bc95.jpg

IMG_2311.jpg.855b6d3d6dc1b16ce4a5f4948999ad16.jpg

IMG_2330.jpg.73095a1b5a682e4c76615c2b707603b0.jpg

All a distant memory now but if I had the room it would have been my final layout.

G

That’s fantastic Graham. The photo with the light under the bridge is something else.

• Agree 1

21 hours ago, bgman said:

G

Now that really puts my models to shame. Superb.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Cowley 47521 said:

That’s fantastic Graham. The photo with the light under the bridge is something else.

Thank you, it just happened to be an accidental shot with my iPhone and the flash decided to do the clever stuff ! 

• Like 4
  • Funny 1

18 minutes ago, BrushType4 said:

Now that really puts my models to shame. Superb.

Praise indeed and it is very much appreciated, I am also in awe of what you produce in your range !

The back-story for the above, many years ago a friend of mine was Head of Art and IT at a college here in Devon and he brought some samples of laser cut card to show me what can be achieved. After my excitement had come down to earth he asked if I wanted to use the software to "play with" ? 

Duly loaded onto the hard drive I started that very evening to see what i could do with it for the proposed Bath Spa Station build / details.

It is a basic software ( sorry can't recall which one but issued to schools etc for them to use ).

After a week of designing he said I was welcome to go to the college on a Friday afternoon when all the students had gone home at 14.00 hrs. 

He showed me the lasers in a craft room......Wow !

There were 3 very large beds which he said were ready for me to use......like a child in a sweet shop I plugged my dongle into the computer and marvelled at the shapes being produced.

I came away with a full set of windows / doors etc and a trial arch for the bridge which I later built using the Silhouette cutter with plasticard as seen above.

Thoughts of buying a laser cutter were very much in my mind when I retired but never got around to buying one, hey-ho !

G

Edited by bgman
word
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

2 hours ago, bgman said:

Praise indeed and it is very much appreciated, I am also in awe of what you produce in your range !

The back-story for the above, many years ago a friend of mine was Head of Art and IT at a college here in Devon and he brought some samples of laser cut card to show me what can be achieved. After my excitement had come down to earth he asked if I wanted to use the software to "play with" ? 

Duly loaded onto the hard drive I started that very evening to see what i could do with it for the proposed Bath Spa Station build / details.

It is a basic software ( sorry can't recall which one but issued to schools etc for them to use ).

After a week of designing he said I was welcome to go to the college on a Friday afternoon when all the students had gone home at 14.00 hrs. 

He showed me the lasers in a craft room......Wow !

There were 3 very large beds which he said were ready for me to use......like a child in a sweet shop I plugged my dongle into the computer and marvelled at the shapes being produced.

I came away with a full set of windows / doors etc and a trial arch for the bridge which I later built using the Silhouette cutter with plasticard as seen above.

Thoughts of buying a laser cutter were very much in my mind when I retired but never got around to buying one, hey-ho !

G

I’m so computer illiterate that I’ve only ever tackled things the old school way but it’s amazing what you can do if you know your way around the various programs out there isn’t it?

I’ve had a proper read through of the thread now and it’s interesting as well as quite subtlety humorous I must say…

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Can see what you mean about home made points being better. Those three inch gaps with no sleepers would put me off!

Nice tho it is, I was immediately distracted by your lovely buildings again. Thinking it might be time to stop accumulating far more stock than I could run, even if I had a barn and start making buildings I dont have use for instead!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Those three inch gaps with no sleepers would put me off!

That'll be rectified soon-is ! :D

2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Nice tho it is, I was immediately distracted by your lovely buildings again. Thinking it might be time to stop accumulating

Thank you very much appreciated.

As for accumulating well, I think we can all be guilty of that at some point, wanting that mainline layout with as many full trains running to a timetable. There are some who are in a lucky (?) position to enable it to happen. Me, I sold most of my 4mm stock a few years ago and with 7mm it has focused me more hence this random thread. 

Again thank you and also all the other folk who have given me Likes / Comments etc to date it is appreciated.

• Friendly/supportive 1

You Spin Me Right Round ........ Like A Yard Crane Baby Right Round :lol:

With apologies to the original song but seemed to fit my thought process ( barmy ! )

Anyway, having looked through my "stash" of things to build I came across the Skytrex kit for a 5 Ton Yard Crane which I decided to build last night. 

It will be used on the Drewe Tor Sidings build to add a bit of interest but still keeping the scene as uncluttered as I can, I think it will fit in with a decent base upon which to place it once complete.

IMG_4937.jpeg.57e26d02d0771bff0ab6c0c1cf909776.jpeg

IMG_4938.jpeg.78793769e737bcd6c84108b38c23c10b.jpeg

Track almost laid and wiring too, 4 no. servos installed and a Megapoint servo control unit set up for each one. I need to build a small control box for the switches with a simple track diagram, more of which I will post when it is done.

Thank you for looking in and your continued interest.

G

• Like 18

Exciting times down Drewe Tor Sidings G.

You mention the "drop stop" for the Peco point work frog area.   They do work well and with a little black marker pen on them are disappeared.

Looking forward to your next report.

Best

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1