EY UP ! Somewhere in Deepest Devon a 7mm adventure

bgman

3 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Exciting times down Drewe Tor Sidings G.

You mention the "drop stop" for the Peco point work frog area.   They do work well and with a little black marker pen on them are disappeared.

Looking forward to your next report.

Best

Not certain about exciting but thank you.

The Drop Stops will be subjected to weathering with my airbrush once the track is completed and then ballasted.

2 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

Gurt lush my babber!

PS: are those sticky up bits for the brake gear?

Proper my 'ansome !

The "H" frames guide the chain once fitted, which included in the kit is a little short in length for me and will be replaced so as to anchor it on the base when built.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, bgman said:

the "H" frames guide the chain once fitted, which included in the kit is a little short in length for me and will be replaced so as to anchor it on the base when built.

I have a Drs note for sarcasm.  

She's a beaut, I think I have a P4 version ;) from Lychett Manor models.  You've inspired me drink more.... no, not that... dig it out from wherever I've stashed it.

Cheers youngun'

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

4 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

I have a Drs note for sarcasm.  

Can you fax it to me with a slight name change please, it'll come in handy when mine runs out ! 

5 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

You've inspired me drink more.... no, not that... dig it out from wherever I've stashed it.

Go dig it out mate and enjoy the experience.

G

• Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

4 hours ago, bgman said:

You Spin Me Right Round ........ Like A Yard Crane Baby Right Round :lol:

With apologies to the original song but seemed to fit my thought process ( barmy ! )

Anyway, having looked through my "stash" of things to build I came across the Skytrex kit for a 5 Ton Yard Crane which I decided to build last night. 

It will be used on the Drewe Tor Sidings build to add a bit of interest but still keeping the scene as uncluttered as I can, I think it will fit in with a decent base upon which to place it once complete.

IMG_4937.jpeg.57e26d02d0771bff0ab6c0c1cf909776.jpeg

IMG_4938.jpeg.78793769e737bcd6c84108b38c23c10b.jpeg

Track almost laid and wiring too, 4 no. servos installed and a Megapoint servo control unit set up for each one. I need to build a small control box for the switches with a simple track diagram, more of which I will post when it is done.

Thank you for looking in and your continued interest.

G

What a lovely thing.
Do you know if anyone does/did a kit for a GWR pattern water tower or crane by any chance folks?

My good friend Paul is building a small Hemyock style run down terminus (that I’m hoping to get involved with) in 0 gauge slowly and has drawn a blank so far.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Cowley 47521 said:

GWR pattern water tower or crane

If it's a water crane you may wish to consider the one here ?

http://www.duncanmodels.co.uk/price_list_water_cranes_and_columns.htm

Skytrex sell a "standard" flat top water tower in 7mm similar to that at Hemyock.

My good friend Chris Lamacraft produced a model of Hemyock in EM gauge which he researched and features in MRJ Nos. 230 & 239 if it helps ? 

G

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Keeping to a similar theme here is a quick photograph of the water tower I scratch built a few years ago with the help of my Silhouette cutter based on the early style of a GWR type.

It may / may not feature on this layout and if so will probably be weathered to look rather un-cared for run down tower.

If it does I will be making another for the Edwardian layout.

IMG_4941.jpeg.d382dc51e67f84565b28d3ffb975349c.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, bgman said:

Keeping to a similar theme here is a quick photograph of the water tower I scratch built a few years ago with the help of my Silhouette cutter based on the early style of a GWR type.

It may / may not feature on this layout and if so will probably be weathered to look rather un-cared for run down tower.

If it does I will be making another for the Edwardian layout.

IMG_4941.jpeg.d382dc51e67f84565b28d3ffb975349c.jpeg

G.L. my babber!

• Thanks 1

Duncan’s models  front of the layout and mikes models available from Holt model railways at the back, Mikes models cranes are bigger 

Duncan’s allows you to build the swan neck type if wanted 

229DD118-D579-446A-94A6-35697C4FDA46.jpeg

Edited by steve fay
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks very much for your replies everyone, that’s most helpful.

I’ll post a couple of photos of his project on here with his permission the next time I go over (without taking the thread over obviously), it has a few similarities to your railway Graham so it’s going to be good for us to read about what you’re making as 7mm stuff is all new to us.

And it’s big. BIG!

• Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Thanks very much for your replies everyone, that’s most helpful.

I’ll post a couple of photos of his project on here with his permission the next time I go over (without taking the thread over obviously), it has a few similarities to your railway Graham so it’s going to be good for us to read about what you’re making as 7mm stuff is all new to us.

And it’s big. BIG!

Happy to help with what little knowledge and skills I have.

It would be interesting to see details of you friends project, "all grist to the mill" as the saying goes.

Quote - "(without taking the thread over obviously), it has a few similarities to your railway Graham so it’s going to be good for us to read about what you’re making "

If you ever get fed up you're welcome to come and finish mine off !!! :lol:

G

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 23/10/2021 at 17:47, bgman said:

You Spin Me Right Round ........ Like A Yard Crane Baby Right Round :lol:

With apologies to the original song but seemed to fit my thought process ( barmy ! )

Anyway, having looked through my "stash" of things to build I came across the Skytrex kit for a 5 Ton Yard Crane which I decided to build last night. 

It will be used on the Drewe Tor Sidings build to add a bit of interest but still keeping the scene as uncluttered as I can, I think it will fit in with a decent base upon which to place it once complete.

IMG_4937.jpeg.57e26d02d0771bff0ab6c0c1cf909776.jpeg

IMG_4938.jpeg.78793769e737bcd6c84108b38c23c10b.jpeg

Track almost laid and wiring too, 4 no. servos installed and a Megapoint servo control unit set up for each one. I need to build a small control box for the switches with a simple track diagram, more of which I will post when it is done.

Thank you for looking in and your continued interest.

G

That’s mint, that is. (See, I'm learning). Looks like very neat castings. Do the instructions give any details on the prototype? The website doesn't seem to.

I like the visual appearance of this robust style of crane design, different from the GWR designs I'm used to. Some are almost steam punk in character, e.g. this one at Poplar Docks: 

https://www.gettyimages.dk/detail/news-photo/although-poplar-dock-was-owned-by-the-north-london-railway-news-photo/90774062?adppopup=true

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

I like the visual appearance of this robust style of crane design, different from the GWR designs I'm used to. 

It's almost enough for me to go Gurt Western 7mm...

almost

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

That’s mint, that is. (See, I'm learning). Looks like very neat castings. Do the instructions give any details on the prototype? The website doesn't seem to.

I like the visual appearance of this robust style of crane design, different from the GWR designs I'm used to. Some are almost steam punk in character, e.g. this one at Poplar Docks: 

https://www.gettyimages.dk/detail/news-photo/although-poplar-dock-was-owned-by-the-north-london-railway-news-photo/90774062?adppopup=true

Thank you Mr.Murray ( That's mint that is ! :lol: ) .........Moving on.....

The casting needed some cleaning up but overall its is very good and so easy to build. One small downfall it the short length of chain which is supplied but easily rectified. 

The instructions don't provide any prototype details and strangely after asking the supplier he was stumped too ! 

A bit of "interweb gogling" is now called for.

I do like the thought of a Steam Punk crane but you're right to say it has a very robust visual appearance, seems to have some heft to it, as does the model.

Cranes are a whole new subject as we well know and thank you for the link, very interesting indeed.

I first noticed this model on the Bucks Hill layout and finally tracked the model down a while ago.

G

p.s. the magnets are proving to be a real bonus and was going to mention on your Blog that they are also useful for placing buildings on a portable layout too. I have used them successfully in the past let into to the base of a building and a simple metal piece let into the baseboard, clunk click and it's fixed in place.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

45 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

It's almost enough for me to go Gurt Western 7mm...

almost

Almost in not quite good enough, full commitment is required......mind you I do like S & D stuff but don't let anyone else know.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

The Good, The Bad and the......lets just say unsatisfactory.

Last night was spent successfully wiring the small area of track and buoyed on by progress the Frog Juicer board lit up....nice.

The DCC system lit up......nice.

No problems were noticeable which makes the enthusiasm and expectation of seeing a loco run even more exciting and so the Class 05 was duly placed on the track ( not wasting precious GW locos as a first run just in case any "fizz pop bangs occur" :D ).

Well trainsetters ........ the 05 started well through the tracks until it manoeuvred through the Peco double slip !

To say it sounded not unlike finger nails scraping down a blackboard ( remember them ? ) as it negotiated the various options was disappointing to me to say the least. Along with other locos I tried there seemed to be a lack of gauge width between the switch rails on all accounts and each wheel had an interference as it passed through.

The double slip was bought as a new unused secondhand item from a show when I was just staring 7mm.

As previously stated elsewhere the idea for this "layout" was to use up and also recycle.

Here is a brief video in which you can just hear the problem and is far noisier in reality....

Not what I was expecting and the track is firmly fixed.

I am loath to take a file or for that matter a lump hammer to the problem, suffice to say if the gauge is incorrect on the off the shelf item then it won't be featuring on any more of my trackwork. 

I am not by any means defeatist however, it won't sit well with me knowing there is always going to be that nuisance area especially as it should be necessary to slow shunt through with wagons etc and having to increase the loco speed isn't an option.

CONCLUSION

The sidings will now be "scapped" so to speak and a rethink will take place.

Waste of time ?

No certainly not for me, other than maybe letting down the followers who showed an interest in project and also my grandchildren for which a lightweight but reasonable robust "layout" could be played with and to learn on.

Waste of money ?

Debatable, but as it was only a side project using what could possibly be described as scrap ( recycling ) then I haven't really lost anything by doing it. Minimal cost involved other than my time.

Sometimes it's better to admit some sort of defeat and move on which is exactly what I will be doing.

Hey Ho ! :senile:

Onwards and upwards .... to Infinity and beyond :jester:

G

p.s. it'll be back to handbuilt track again from now on.

p.p.s. Just in case anyone is wondering all the B to B's are correctly set on my stock.

Edited by bgman
pp & pps's added
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 11

That's very unfortunate and not quite what I enjoy seeing ( no reflection on you posting by the way ) but photographs like that can sometimes reveal useful details inadvertently.

If I had a spare Autocoach , which i haven't,  I'd seriously consider doing that as a Cakebox Challenge scene.

So much detail both with that coach and the farm underpass.

G

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Oddly the thing that immediately caught my eye about that was the drawing office must have been on strike! GWR auto trailers are generally notable for their hotch-potch* of random window sizes in non-repeating patterns and they generally look a mess, frankly.

They obviously couldn't be bothered with this one and just did them all the same :)

*last time i said this someone claimed the design of the windows made perfect sense as the seats were all different. Cant really argue with that!

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

27 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

someone claimed the design of the windows made perfect sense as the seats were all different

It certainly wasn't me, however I claim my £ 5 ! :jester:

• Funny 1