EY UP ! Somewhere in Deepest Devon a 7mm adventure

bgman

• RMweb Premium

I'm taking my time and really enjoying reading through this thread. A lot of fine modelling going on right here Mr G.

The Crediton Station model looks very impressive. Do you know how it was constructed per chance?

• Friendly/supportive 1

27 minutes ago, Gedward said:

I'm taking my time and really enjoying reading through this thread. A lot of fine modelling going on right here Mr G.

The Crediton Station model looks very impressive. Do you know how it was constructed per chance?

Hi George,

Thank you but haven't you got anything better to do ? :jester:

I hope your trip went well and was fruitful ? 

Crediton was my next station towards Exeter from the village where I lived and I spent many hours on those platforms looking at it.

The original design was by non other than Isambard K. Brunel although I wouldn't be certain of its original construction but clearly brick now.  Built for the Exeter & Crediton Railway in 1851 originally Broad Gauge.

Here are a couple of my photographs taken a good few years ago.....

creditonfrontstation.jpg.2e27d6eccec05b202e9b93c4dfebe923.jpg

1748629_e996106f.jpg.e075a290e5346d1ad46ab0994b1ae749.jpg

My take on it in model form for the proposed 7mm layout was built using plasticard sheets with a little help from my Silhouette Cutter.

All the very best,

G

Edited by bgman
missed sentence
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that. That's a great looking building.

It was great to be back in Minehead. Last time was over 4 years ago and back then I wasn't thinking of moving there. I was originally planning to head back to London very early on Saturday morning. But a friend noticed the ad in the local paper regarding the Exmoor Coast and Friends show at Sainsbury Hall. It was good to meet Exmoor Dave, Marcus and Stephen who works for the WSR at Crowcombe.

I'm right now going room to room, painting everything that doesn't move. But taking lots of breaks, just like the song 'Right said Fred...' 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 4

I may be taking this recycling business a little bit too far, however, it's a pity not to reuse some cardboard for the basis of some models ! 

pizza.jpg.bb7800f62857840c0b1ca38bae8d17b5.jpg

Just trying to keep it authentic :lol:

G

• Like 6
  • Funny 3

Just now, Gedward said:

And how many Cornettos would you like sir?

As many as you can get please, I actually do like them ! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, bgman said:

As many as you can get please, I actually do like them ! 

Not sure if you remember Hidden Treasure ice creams. It was a bit like a Mivi but a conical shape. I think the outside was orange?

And the sticks were plastic and had figures on them to collect. 

The Cornetto ice cream reminds me of them. My favourite of them all. Oh happy dayz!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Just now, Gedward said:

Not sure if you remember Hidden Treasure ice creams. It was a bit like a Mivi but a conical shape. I think the outside was orange?

And the sticks were plastic and had figures on them to collect. 

The Cornetto ice cream reminds me of them. My favourite of them all. Oh happy dayz!

Yes I certainly do George, surprisingly I actually won a competition as a young boy which was run by Lyons Maid. I got a day out to York Railway Museum with quite a few others on a chartered train from Manchester. A trainspotters dream and......FREE ice cream all day ! 

G

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

54 minutes ago, bgman said:

Yes I certainly do George, surprisingly I actually won a competition as a young boy which was run by Lyons Maid. I got a day out to York Railway Museum with quite a few others on a chartered train from Manchester. A trainspotters dream and......FREE ice cream all day ! 

G

Wow that’s brilliant. 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

The Italian Job.......

I decided to have a faff around yesterday evening and used the cardboard cover off the Ikea top as a back scene support for an old commercial printed back scene. All very temporary but it gives me an initial idea of the overall backdrop to the buildings once complete.

I would prefer to paint my own backdrop eventually but this gives me some encouragement.

I also decided to experiment with some foam board I recently purchased and have placed the track upon it with a strengthened void below in which I will put the electrics etc. It will form a single piece of a "jigsaw" to plonk onto the Ikea "baseboard" top.

My thoughts are such that I don't want to cut through the top if it can be helped, if it doesn't work out then I consider they are cheap enough currently to replace. 

Here are some of the poorly taken shots of it so far ( 'cos I know we all want photographs to look at eh ! ) ........

IMG_5053.jpg.49cd13b317e4e66fe6c2e3b4ea8b5416.jpg

IMG_5054.jpg.f5290c9150f0060e207e5be8dcaf7e62.jpg

IMG_5056.jpeg.013688b71c8b3b9b3e39b31b51fd9a57.jpeg

Bella !

G

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

Making the best of a warm early afternoon I rode out to Topsham.

Whilst I enjoyed the ride my mind started thinking as to how best I could make some native Italian trees for the above project.

I remembered what awaited me back in my stash in the garage, and upon my return after a nice cup of tea I set about making this....

IMG_5061.jpeg.fd1c11e412ea0bcce32f44dec23204a5.jpeg

IMG_5062.jpeg.78de8fba1d49b71e0244ba79d370b26f.jpeg

It's an early experiment using fine wire-wool and a piece of plastic sprue, primed with grey rattle can and then a coat of green rattle can which I had to make the foundations of a Cypress tree.

I know it's nothing new and there is a possibility of fine pieces falling onto the layout or worse into the loco mechanisms but I will Percy Vere and give it a waft over with some fine matte medium and then maybe a scattering of very fine flock ? 

Worth trying and also still using up odd bits that would otherwise have been binned or sold on.

G

p.s. Before any clever Richard decides to post it ....YES I know there were also Spaghetti trees mainly planted in 1957 by the Panorama team so let's not go there please ! :D

Edited by bgman
a wurd
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

'Lectric Wires Overhead

Just been having a go at scratch building some more catenary posts and quickly pushed into the cork underlay which I glued down earlier.

IMG_5067.jpg.e70bfb697f7d696a53582da049b9a9a6.jpg

Posed with an E.428 174 (2a serie ) FS loco below to gauge the pantograph height. 

IMG_5064.jpeg.ac24c58afe7531e415d32a3e429a8f1e.jpeg

Wires merely plonked on and post slightly wonky but it gives me an overall idea. 

IMG_5065.jpeg.af6781e5019c41ea37d91ec2098311f8.jpeg

All good fun eh ! 

G

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
On 28/10/2021 at 14:20, bgman said:

Mock up of the Week....

Before I tidy the track off the floor I thought it might be an idea to place some of my part built structures beside it to get an impression of what might be coming.

The original platform can be adapted ( cut about basically ) to fit once the track is on some baseboards and I think I'll be happy with the proposal for Drewe Tor now.

It may be reminiscent of my most favourite layout in 7mm that deservedly keeps winning cups for the Best in Show( you know who you are :D ) but without that to inspire me it wouldn't have got to this stage in all honesty. Faffing about should now become some sort of reality hopefully.

Here are a few iPhone snaps to show what I mean.....

IMG_4978.jpeg.d0a0aca3f97044d4835211fe2d657e56.jpeg

IMG_4979.jpeg.a8a07b8f2818e10381f22448a996bc3f.jpeg

IMG_4980.jpeg.0980780f361c12eaa01b955030716aed.jpeg

IMG_4981.jpeg.e4cd2a92c47bdc9c3051def71f735420.jpeg

IMG_4983.jpeg.08a7bf95101964db0ba4a59633ed0316.jpeg

IMG_4984.jpeg.6714fe64f7cef2318a14535ba83fc13f.jpeg

I thank you.

G

Morning Grahame, 

Talk about looking promising. This looks lovely. 

Rob. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 06/11/2021 at 14:38, bgman said:

Intermission over.....Thoughts gathered.....Now what's he doing ? 

Somewhere in this thread I posted some photographs of Italian buildings I had been working on over a year or so ago.

Well it transpires that they popped up in my cupboard this week and so I thought I would do something with them again......Oh No ! he's off recycling again !!!! 

Having placed some orders for sleepers etc for the 7mm track during the week I decided to busy myself following the previous scrapped small layout prior to them arriving.

Courtesy of the well know Swedish layout baseboard company I acquired a small board and supports for the 5 Tillig points I had left from the past onto which I will make a smaller layout. I do need to have a look in my garage for the Tillig track to suit too. That which has been placed won't be used.

The track plan may well be recognisable to some who follow Mr.Sheepbloke @NHY 581 and it got me thinking .......

IMG_5035.jpeg.05b36e31fd4d00f60b1337444ee17bca.jpeg

IMG_5037.jpeg.151e6381f3e2b5b5f1af178d0fce7d16.jpeg

IMG_5036.jpeg.fbb282661e52bb54aa425badecf5b587.jpeg

IMG_5033.jpeg.abc6fa5d26b8a9bdebdc961ccf1706ac.jpeg

IMG_5038.jpeg.3e4b1336bb819185295f0a99b612199b.jpeg

I have 5 of the small MP1 point motors which have an operating wire that will neatly fit through the board so why not use them too.

1153547002_IMG_5039copy.jpg.4ac583b186505a247ef670ab37e14426.jpg

There will be some faffing / making / mocking up buildings now whilst I try to create a reasonable backdrop.

Keeps the old brain ticking eh ? :senile:

G

Like that. 

We all work better to a deadline. I've pencilled Scoreggia di Pecora in for SWAG 2024. 

Off to look at MTB point motors. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Like that. 

We all work better to a deadline. I've pencilled Scoreggia di Pecora in for SWAG 2024. 

Off to look at MTB point motors. 

Rob. 

Thank you mate very much appreciated....head out of vice and into build mode then ! 

Erm.........your'e not too far off with that name to be honest !  :lol:

4 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Drewe Tor is in for 2025.........

Oh dear, seems I'm going to have to be a very busy chap now .......

Once again thank you.

G

p.s. can you squeeze George in too ? 

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Northroader said:

Macaroni!

Back in the 80s I worked there, so did half the population of Chelmsford. Sadly all gone now, no not half the population of Chlemsford or Chelmsford itself but Mr Marconi's Wireless factories. The main one, behind the station, is now flats for even more commuters who now work from home.  Progress.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Back in the 80s I worked there, so did half the population of Chelmsford. Sadly all gone now, no not half the population of Chlemsford or Chelmsford itself but Mr Marconi's Wireless factories. The main one, behind the station, is now flats for even more commuters who now work from home.  Progress.

My cousin (no relation) worked for Marconi too, later EMI, in Somerset somewhere.  Do I win a flat?

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1