EY UP ! Somewhere in Deepest Devon a 7mm adventure

bgman

34 minutes ago, Gedward said:

Looking good Gman. The culvert idea sounds very promising. I can just imagine it from your brief description. The iron gates and the stonework will give it real character.

Thank you George,

It is one of my "happy mistakes" which comes from not planning too much in advance. 

I wanted to produce a wider bridge but I thought it looked too grandiose and wide when first placed so I've reduced the width and as I did so I thought about a Mini in a famous scene ( no its not a cue for lots of Italian Job jokes ! ) and am going to adapt it to suit hopefully.

G

• Like 5

What's the point ! 

Well I'll tell those who would like to know :scratchhead:

I'm not certain if I mentioned the proposed use of mtb MP1 point motors previously however, as this Italian themed layout is only a small diversion it still presents some interest for using different modelling / techniques on which the motors will feature. I think they will be more suited because of their relatively small cross section compared to conventional or servo motors.

Many years ago I used a Digikeijs accessory decoder to power some signals on a Bavarian HO themed layout and managed to find it for the purpose of addressing the MP1 motors ( more re-using old stuff ).

The Digikeijs DR4018 was originally used on my ESU ECoS Command Station for signals but as I intend using a simple multiMAUS controller here, albeit branded as a Fleischmann product, I had to do a reset of the DR4018. Quite an easy process and once done the unit will control 8 point motors which suits the multiMAUS controller.

Here is a brief shot to show the unit, a couple of motors and an original German semaphore for which it was originally programmed to operate 

IMG_5139.jpeg.d4a795d55f792fddd0b2aab4589f1215.jpeg

The wires from the motors to the DR4018 ( all red ! )  are just a temporary measure just to ensure everything works correctly.

On the multiMAUS unit it shows up as this on screen

IMG_5140.jpeg.17d0e5ad2a5f0234935e1bc2dd34e017.jpeg

Happy with that now onto the next ideas / thoughts.

I said previously that there will be a small bridge / culvert affair, well, I am in the thought process on this one and am thinking about reducing it in size thus

IMG_5141.jpeg.c5539ceb69d5e4b24e687ae618cf2320.jpeg

As the whole layout is somewhat experimental I am considering the introduction of printed brick paper plus some 3D work as walling to combine with this, I will do an update when I think it is suitable to post.

Over and above that I am taking a radical......well it is for me.......approach to couplings and changing the stock for this to Kadee's.

Once again I found these in my stash and were also purchased many moons ago, some from my friends shop in Exeter ( sadly now gone ) and some from Express Models at prices well below todays costs.

IMG_5147.jpg.799b686472f8ead4e0e08cbf2c95e8f4.jpg

I have a coupling gauge which ensures all line up when pushed into the NEM pockets on the coaches and wagons that I have....

IMG_5142.jpg.6a6f1090dae44b59319abd10ca9552bf.jpg

I know that none of this is ground breaking but I am still running with the theme of using what I have got, with the occasional purchase to suit.

Uncoupling will be done using some Neodymium magnets I have, to be placed either side of the rails at set places thereby making any shunting / uncoupling moves easier, hopefully, and make the layout as hands free as possible.

If you've stuck with me on this so far I thank you.

G

p.s O Gauge is NOT forgotten ! 

Edited by bgman
a word
  • Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening G, 

Your use of the kadees is very timely.......

We can learn together. More of  my adventures to come no doubt......

Rob

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

28 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening G, 

Your use of the kadees is very timely.......

We can learn together. More of  my adventures to come no doubt......

Rob

Good evening to you too Rob,

I have used them in the distance past to good effect on an American layout and found they fitted the bill just fine for shunting etc.

Not certain whether to blacken the "hook" in an attempt to make them lees obtrusive, either way they will be fitted to all stock.

One small problem I have encountered is that some of my earlier locos can't be fitted with them without some surgery. I may then just keep the original couplings on some stock where needed. Maybe another experiment is called for ? 

Looking forward to our parallel doings ! 

G

p.s. I am somewhat pleased that I purchased them when I did as they ain't cheap anymore, which also means it does focus the amount of stock used on a layout.

Edited by bgman
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

Lovely film G! You're now making me question my application to Swiss railways!:angry:

P.S.  Surprising to see snow at almost the same latitude as Nice!

Thank matey, 

Maybe we should arrange for a Latte on a fact finding trip sometime ? 

Nudge-nudge :D

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

E-I-E-I-Oh ! ..... il agricoltore

You know when you're not quite sure what to do, well I thought that last night......

I wanted to do something slightly different at the front of this Italian thingy I'm making so I decided to go with a small rural scene hence this.....

IMG_5177.jpeg.4d209fdf1566dfd2d47e6cbec8aa2ff8.jpeg

IMG_5178.jpeg.463a1f531b2aa3c1c4a3919e465639ff.jpeg

I've tried to produce an open fronted barn ( still working on it and tidy it up around the edges ) which I want to place on a grassed area, adjacent to the tracks.

Not sure if it will work yet but no harm in giving it a go ! 

G

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

30 minutes ago, Northroader said:

How about some ruins?

597ECA74-9C64-4C29-AB76-201506B704D5.jpeg.4393b513a93fade560d1e29755c67dc0.jpeg

With my sense of humour......well......

tumblr_692e934ec1a2e544ae55cba4c955044f_9a917a55_540.jpg.26c05914c2cbb5ca1271082007fcda0a.jpg

Er....maybe not this extreme though !  :lol:

• Like 4
  • Funny 6

Whilst searching I came across a video of these superbly engineered models in 1:32 scale ........drooool....... 

Worth watching even if, like me you aren't too conversant with the Italian language the models speak for themselves.

G

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

On 09/12/2021 at 20:07, Northroader said:

How about some ruins?

Working on something.......

IMG_5187.jpeg.2eb62859efaf3a739329e0cda4eab23d.jpeg

Edited by bgman
photo
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning G. 

Stunning work as usual. The character and sense of place you are achieving with these buildings is really quite something. 

Rob. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

A Day of Worship.....

As it is Sunday I thought I would do some more work on the small Chapel for the layout.....

IMG_5197.jpeg.e732ebd0822eed520637838317e70d1a.jpeg

More ridge pantiles were cast from a mould I'd previously made using some resin

2115094463_ridgetilemolding.jpg.50105664dac16ebe508cff7bb775eab9.jpg

The corners will receive some stone quoins and further work required but seems ok so far.

G

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

3 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Lovely. Does the colour need some toning down eventually?

Thank you Mikkel, 

It doesn't actually look that "bright" in reality due to my iPhone photograph and not adjusting the light levels etc but I may well be doing some light weathering on the building eventually.

3 hours ago, Mikkel said:

In any case, don't forget the interior. Should be a doddle.

Ref an earlier posting I was thinking more along the lines of this ! 

image.png.9dbd8fd5b8e6050d85634afd4092a393.png

:lol:

G

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Bring on  Father Jack!!

Strangely I've been working on a residence for him which would be most suitable for such a character.....

IMG_5200.jpeg.aed2f360d062b99c92170b8d9e7f7117.jpeg

IMG_5201.jpeg.5e964f802ee845358f16d36f8f507d12.jpeg

G

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

12 hours ago, bgman said:

Thank you Mikkel, 

It doesn't actually look that "bright" in reality due to my iPhone photograph and not adjusting the light levels etc but I may well be doing some light weathering on the building eventually.

Ref an earlier posting I was thinking more along the lines of this ! 

image.png.9dbd8fd5b8e6050d85634afd4092a393.png

G

Conjugate the verb “To Go”…

I’m actually really amazed at what you’ve been making and sharing on here. It’s got so much character.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Cowley 47521 said:

Conjugate the verb “To Go”…

I’m actually really amazed at what you’ve been making and sharing on here. It’s got so much character.

Thank you for your kind comments, very much appreciated.

Cards on the table, the recent buildings have been based on images referencing old paintings or photographs found on t'internet which I've adapted to suit my needs and hopefully give the feel and character of something Italianate in style. The "ruins" was just a quickly made side model following Northroaders comment and is totally made up with scraps based upon nothing whatsoever other than how I thought at the time.

Speaking of Italianate, I would have liked to produce a small Broad Gauge diorama with the Pumping House at Starcross featuring in the background thereby using some of my early BG loco's and stock, harking back to that recycling theme.

We shall see possibly ?

Meanwhile I have a side project and a 7mm layout to be getting on with.

G

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1