EY UP ! Somewhere in Deepest Devon a 7mm adventure

bgman

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

I'm sure someone will have suggested this already but a follow up book with his later acrylic and powder techniques would be fantastic.

Might have a little word in his ear ? 

• 2 weeks later...

TRAM-ALAM-A-DING- started....

Well as promised I have made a start.

First of all I would say that this kit isn't for the faint hearted. I'm uncertain what type of plastic has been used but I can only describe it as a rubberised plastic ! 

It is extremely flexible and great care has to be taken when removing any parts from the sprues.

There are quite a few feeds to each part which despite their flexible nature are very well moulded and detailed. 
Some of the removal marks have been deliberately left and glued to the required places as per the instructions with a view to cleaning up very, very carefully once hardened in place.

I have used Tamiya Extra Thin which has a good "grab" and to my way of thinking isn't too 'hot' for use on this type of plastic.

The main floor is replicated twice and then butt jointed, therein is a nuisance value whereby there is a small long ovular area in the centre of the butt joint ( part of the original casting I imagine ? ).

I have cut slivers of the same plastic and filled the gap, approx. half a mm wide, and also used a plastic filler.

The floors are held together by two parts which act as internal wheel covers and a couple of very small tabs underneath.

Here is progress after about 4 hours this evening.....

Main floor from the top

IMG_5272.jpeg.cc0fbce50e50d7437cbaebc28e244801.jpeg

From underneath which shows the white filler line

IMG_5274.jpeg.36d507ecefbbaf5b03a865941ea77809.jpeg

Each end replicated

IMG_5273.jpeg.145e038c4d8fef852e706016dc39662a.jpeg

Approximately 24'ish parts to each end

IMG_5275.jpeg.ca9947b3704678ad33ba5989023f0f8f.jpeg

Just a "few more" sprues to get through ! ( About another 650 parts ! ) .

IMG_5276.jpeg.8b3a2c670939cd3616aae235418cb9f2.jpeg

It's a started now I'll finish project, well at least in modules ready to prime before painting and then gluing together. 

I think it is a worthwhile project, most definitely NOT a beginners kit and a great deal of care MUST be taken just removing the parts as I said previously. Whilst it isn't a cheap model to purchase I hope I can make a decent job of it eventually ? 

My only criticism is the type of plastic which has been used and wish it was slightly firmer to handle.

G

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, bgman said:

TRAM-ALAM-A-DING- started....

Well as promised I have made a start.

First of all I would say that this kit isn't for the faint hearted. I'm uncertain what type of plastic has been used but I can only describe it as a rubberised plastic ! 

It is extremely flexible and great care has to be taken when removing any parts from the sprues.

There are quite a few feeds to each part which despite their flexible nature are very well moulded and detailed. 
Some of the removal marks have been deliberately left and glued to the required places as per the instructions with a view to cleaning up very, very carefully once hardened in place.

I have used Tamiya Extra Thin which has a good "grab" and to my way of thinking isn't too 'hot' for use on this type of plastic.

The main floor is replicated twice and then butt jointed, therein is a nuisance value whereby there is a small long ovular area in the centre of the butt joint ( part of the original casting I imagine ? ).

I have cut slivers of the same plastic and filled the gap, approx. half a mm wide, and also used a plastic filler.

The floors are held together by two parts which act as internal wheel covers and a couple of very small tabs underneath.

Here is progress after about 4 hours this evening.....

Main floor from the top

IMG_5272.jpeg.cc0fbce50e50d7437cbaebc28e244801.jpeg

From underneath which shows the white filler line

IMG_5274.jpeg.36d507ecefbbaf5b03a865941ea77809.jpeg

Each end replicated

IMG_5273.jpeg.145e038c4d8fef852e706016dc39662a.jpeg

Approximately 24'ish parts to each end

IMG_5275.jpeg.ca9947b3704678ad33ba5989023f0f8f.jpeg

Just a "few more" sprues to get through ! ( About another 650 parts ! ) .

IMG_5276.jpeg.8b3a2c670939cd3616aae235418cb9f2.jpeg

It's a started now I'll finish project, well at least in modules ready to prime before painting and then gluing together. 

I think it is a worthwhile project, most definitely NOT a beginners kit and a great deal of care MUST be taken just removing the parts as I said previously. Whilst it isn't a cheap model to purchase I hope I can make a decent job of it eventually ? 

My only criticism is the type of plastic which has been used and wish it was slightly firmer to handle.

G

Presumably the word D0ng was censored in the first line?

• Informative/Useful 1

As opposed to a "Hell I've had enough of this!"(Bang! Rattle! as it lands in the bin) project................

Cheers,and a Happy New Year to you all out there.

Phil

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, 34006 said:

As opposed to a "Hell I've had enough of this!"(Bang! Rattle! as it lands in the bin) project.

Not flipping' likely !:D

HNY Phil

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Very stylish, those embellishments make a big difference.

Thank you Mikkel, I pondered over this for some time and felt they would 'elevate' its looks slightly.

My original thoughts of a smaller bridge didn't sit well in my eyes hence this being made and hopefully will fit in with my overall vision.

G

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Northroader said:

Reminds me of somewhere:

760B5B9B-9BB8-4E60-B01A-3624B8CC00EE.jpeg.0ff4a10ac779e1b7368d4512472e0ecc.jpeg

Blimey that is rather spooky, I hadn't realised the bridge into Venice was similar. 

Maybe I'd seen it in the past without realising.

1 hour ago, Re6/6 said:

Very Venetian looking Grahame! Lovely!

Thank you John very much appreciated, dare I say I made it blindly  ( See what I did there ? :lol: ). 

Perhaps one day it could see a Swiss loco running across it......nudge... nudge....wink....wink !!! 

G

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

On 22/11/2020 at 03:58, bgman said:

The ( unfinished ) tender has now been placed behind the "Lady" and its all looking very big......I do like it even at this stage of the build.

134179296_tenderandlocopartdone.jpg.f7c46f6f3f5ba817bfa95f1ba6319736.jpg 

I may have a rest from her for this evening as she's worn me out !  :o

G

Any news on this one?  I am underway with the same kit to become 2982 so curved frames.  I am struggling with the motion bracket, valve rod and alignments of both, I think caused by the slots for the motion bracket being to scale position ignoring the extra 1mm put into the wheelbase to give clearance for flanges.  I am also fighting the slidebar alignment for same reason as I want cylinders to be above the centreline of the wheels, as they all ended up.

2982 slidebar.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, 

Regretably, Grahame is currently quite poorly and won't be in a position to update the thread, for a little while at least. 

Rob. 

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Good evening , 

For those of you who follow Grahame's thread and may not be aware, he very sadly passed away last month.

Please see the below thread. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Dear All,

A small group of Grahame's friends, including me, John F (Re6/6), Rod C (10800) and Ian H (from the Mid-Devon Finescale Group) have been asked by Grahame's family to go through his model railway effects and to arrange their disposal.

This is a considerable task, as Grahame had accumulated a large collection of items in 3.5mm, 4mm and 7mm scales. There is also some 2mm track. In addition to this, there are large amounts of tools, paints and other materials.

In terms of the actual models, those of you familiar with Grahame's work will be aware that there are locos, rolling stock, buildings and track in all of the above scales.

A certain number of items will be retained by his family, as keepsakes of a beloved father and grandfather, but the vast majority will be sold on. A majority of the proceeds of the sales will go to his family, as Grahame always said that his model railway collection was to be a 'nest egg' for his grandchildren. The remaining proceeds will go to the two heart charities, British Heart Foundation or Bristol & Weston Hospitals Charity.

As a result of the sheer number of items that we need to sell on behalf of the family, we are planning to dispose of items in a number of different ways.

I am planning on advertising a number of Grahame's models on RMWeb and plan to start posting links soon.

There are a considerable number of small and incomplete items, materials, tools etc. (we all accumulate such stuff!), which we are planning on bringing to the RMWeb Taunton Members Day at Taunton in April. Rob Gunstone (NHY581 has kindly arranged a table for us).

We are keen that Grahame's friends have the opportunity to acquire something from his collection, should they wish and I am extremely grateful to Andy York for facilitating this.

In order to reach as many RMWeb folk as possible, I will be re-posting these words on Grahame's Obituary thread and possibly elsewhere.

Thank you.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 11

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I'm making a request for any pictures that might have been downloaded by followers of this thread of Grahame's lovely Italian layout that he was building. Unfortunately, as we all know, recent images were regrettably lost during the server transfer. I'm hoping that someone did download some of his 'Italian' pictures from this thread so as to give a guide as how to proceed.

I have been given by his daughter all of the exquisite scratchbuilt buildings that he had painstakingly made. The plan is to resurrect his work and finish it in Grahame's memory. I also have the lovely 'Venetianesque' four arch bridge which I'm keen to incorporate. I also have the track bed board but lack the precise knowledge of where everything goes. Some idea can be gleaned from the short YouTube video!

Thanks in advance if anybody can help...EY UP....😀!

Looking at this video maybe explains Bgman's love of the FS.

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Gold

Morning John, 

I thought I had some images saved on Whats App from Grahame but I haven't. I've looked through Western Thunder and found a couple on various workbench threads but nothing which shows the assembled layout, something which I know I've seen either by Grahame posting them on line or by sending them to me. 

IMG_2672.jpeg.jpg.65ee0846033a93606adc3b6369276786.jpg

IMG_2699.jpeg.jpg.becfd5a0325268753c17c02ed98f8a14.jpg

I'll keep looking. 

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 4

This is why the buildings and images brought to mind Cittàgazze from part 2 of 'His Dark Materials'!

MIZ_HABOUR_PROJECTION_V01_SKETCH_01_NM.jpg.6f334c588dc223cc5f39d9cac21f126c.jpg

cittagazze.jpg.6a5afcd29ffb685a7b13b0f3dd65c5da.jpg

img.jpg.a2c14549dae29a883dd9516c0f9deffe.jpg

(and also with a bit of a nod to Shirley Rowe's 'Catalunya').

• Like 5
  • Agree 1