EY UP ! Somewhere in Deepest Devon a 7mm adventure

bgman

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Northroader said:

Ahh..memories..

85DB801C-7FE1-481F-9597-F5AE9819D2B5.jpeg.e8f473631538f8b17bebd1f38658e279.jpeg

When I joined BR (47 years ago last Thursday), my first job after three months in the Training School was working with a fitter on Class 25 overhauls at Derby Loco Works. Shed plates were being removed at that time so I salvaged a Finsbury Park plate, which I still have.

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Towards the tail end of my apprenticeship I had a spell in the new build shop, having previously been on steam overhaul in the main erecting shop. The 25s were starting to appear, somewhat belatedly (there had been a labour dispute lasting over a year, the boilersmiths wanted retraining as welders to have a slice of the action, threats of transferring the work to Beyer Peacock didn’t help cooperation) They had aluminium cabs, welded framework, with panels bolted on with BA sized screws going into helicoils.  Coming off hairy assed steam jobs, it was a real game adjusting to tightening up dainty little screws. (Ping! Sod ! Snapped another one off!)

Edited by Northroader
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

Are you going to sound chip this one too?

Cheers, Ade.

Good morning Ade,

I do have some spare decoders so I may consider having one of the re-blown. One is an ESU decoder and I was looking on their website last night to see if there was a suitable sound file to download, unfortunately not otherwise I would have done it myself as I have done with others in the past.

Cheap enough to have done and as this 05 was acquired at an extremely low cost privately therefore it wouldn't hit the pocket really.

I don't usually have the sound too loud on my decoders but nice to know it's there if needed and with two of them ticking away it would be plenty loud enough at home when playing with operating them. 

As an aside, I noted that a new Hobbycraft store has opened up very close to where I live so I'm off to see what materials I can pick up shortly, extremely convenient as the nearest one previously was in Newtun Addit ! ( Devon joke ) 

Hope you're enjoying your "other" break and the weather holds.

G

• Like 8

12 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

Chooo chooo and fit a KA unit too?

I did fit one in the 25/3 but don't feel it's really necessary in the 05 to be honest. Keeping the track clean and good feeds seem to work fine to be honest.

• Like 3

What a glorious day for a ride.....

Stopped to check the estate

IMG_4802.jpeg.43c603bd33977f4b238fad42d0530bd5.jpeg 

Yep ! still there....

1558007794_Powderham2.jpg.95e71c6d914db20355e1aebcf57cdff8.jpg

Then on to check my yacht.....

IMG_4804.jpeg.cf7ed716e570594bc9ff75f1e087f4d0.jpeg

Hmmmm.....needs a lick of paint ! 

Far too nice to be indoors modelling today.

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, bgman said:

What a glorious day for a ride.....

Stopped to check the estate

IMG_4802.jpeg.43c603bd33977f4b238fad42d0530bd5.jpeg 

Yep ! still there....

1558007794_Powderham2.jpg.95e71c6d914db20355e1aebcf57cdff8.jpg

Then on to check my yacht.....

IMG_4804.jpeg.cf7ed716e570594bc9ff75f1e087f4d0.jpeg

Hmmmm.....needs a lick of paint ! 

Far too nice to be indoors modelling today.

Nice tyres.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 3

• 2 weeks later...

HIC !

Well having dried out from being plastered ( what else would YOU do on your birthday ? ) I decided to go a bit further and get stoned :lol:.....in an artistic ? way.......

IMG_4827.jpeg.c3d0844b38cca5274fbd86028dfd399d.jpeg

I think I need to dry out for a while with this and see if I "bottle" it later on :no:

All part of the "party atmosphere" on the side project ...... no balloons were hurt during the process but that cake is calling......teehee ! 

G

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

Belated happy birthday Graeme!

Wagon suggestion: Plastered & Stoned, China Clay Merchants Ltd :)

That bridge is among the best I've seen for a long time. Great texture and depth. Lovely style too, rustic yet elegant. We don't really have such bridges here, more's the pity.

Edited by Mikkel
Lot of blank space, dunno why
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, bgman said:

HIC !

Well having dried out from being plastered ( what else would YOU do on your birthday ? ) I decided to go a bit further and get stoned :lol:.....in an artistic ? way.......

Nice design, I like that. I am probably going to make myself unpopular here but my brain cant overlook the divide between the parapet and the main structure. The very top row of horizontal stones seem to "disappear" behind the lighter band of flat slabs that presumably would have been laid on top of them. Could you carve away or paint the tops to suggest they were shaped with some mortar under the layer of slabs?

5 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Wagon suggestion: Plastered & Stoned, China Clay Merchants Ltd :)

Hahahaha ! It's a possibility with my sense of humour ! 

5 minutes ago, Mikkel said:
12 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

That bridge is among the best I've seen for a long time. Great texture and depth. Lovely style too, rustic yet elegant. We don't really have such bridges here, more's the pity.

Thank you Mikkel, I hope you and the family are keeping well ?

It was a quiet day overall, awful weather outside and not worth doing much else I decided to re-purpose one of the original bridges I made which never really looked right to me regards its colour.

I really appreciate your comments about the texture and depth, when you work away at this modelling lark it is very subjective and one never quite knows what it will turn out like. One of my biggest critics is my daughter who came over last night, just relaxing together and going down memory lane. She made a similar comment to you which pleased me.

There will be more to do with the bridge plus the making of baseboards for this proposed "diversion layout"  albeit more modern for me. I am awaiting a small sheet of insulation board before track laying commences.......more of which later.

G

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Nice design, I like that. I am probably going to make myself unpopular here but my brain cant overlook the divide between the parapet and the main structure. The very top row of horizontal stones seem to "disappear" behind the lighter band of flat slabs that presumably would have been laid on top of them. Could you carve away or paint the tops to suggest they were shaped with some mortar under the layer of slabs?

You may be as unpopular as you wish ! :D I am always open to suggestions, however, it is very much an illusion made by the photographer not being in the correct position. There is a row of capping slabs over the wall which are currently being painted and I hope to provide some emphasis to them too. All part of the ongoing work.

G

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
Just now, bgman said:

You may be as unpopular as you wish ! :D I am always open to suggestions, however, it is very much an illusion made by the photographer not being in the correct position. There is a row of capping slabs over the wall which are currently being painted and I hope to provide some emphasis to them too. All part of the ongoing work.

G

I was actually in the process of editing to say the more I look at it, the l more I think there is a gap and it was just the initial illusion caused by the arched stones going over the horizontal ones!

Seems ridiculous given its placed on a white board but you've somehow managed to make it look heavy and well "sunk" in!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, bgman said:

Hahahaha ! It's a possibility with my sense of humour ! 

Thank you Mikkel, I hope you and the family are keeping well ?

It was a quiet day overall, awful weather outside and not worth doing much else I decided to re-purpose one of the original bridges I made which never really looked right to me regards its colour.

I really appreciate your comments about the texture and depth, when you work away at this modelling lark it is very subjective and one never quite knows what it will turn out like. One of my biggest critics is my daughter who came over last night, just relaxing together and going down memory lane. She made a similar comment to you which pleased me.

There will be more to do with the bridge plus the making of baseboards for this proposed "diversion layout"  albeit more modern for me. I am awaiting a small sheet of insulation board before track laying commences.......more of which later.

G

Thanks for asking G., things are OK here, though summer has sped by a bit too fast. Looking forward to watching the Roubaix today with son.

Just been studying that telegraph pole in your bridge photo. I think you posted on it before, I'm off to do a search.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

I was actually in the process of editing to say the more I look at it, the l more I think there is a gap and it was just the initial illusion caused by the arched stones going over the horizontal ones!

Seems ridiculous given its placed on a white board but you've somehow managed to make it look heavy and well "sunk" in!

Thank you, hopefully some subtle weathering etc. will eventually sort it out.

G

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Just been studying that telegraph pole in your bridge photo. I think you posted on it before, I'm off to do a search.

I did but goodness knows where it was posted ! 

Good luck........

Pssst......if I were you I'd get a cup of something and a nice sandwich 'cos it'll take some time I reckon.

Or......I could just post a pic for you

IMG_4829.jpg.11ae0ed35d20dca8b5517e452d30dba9.jpg

G

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

9 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Roubaix

Ahhh ! That well know song...... Roubaix, Roubaix, Roubaix, Roubaix by the Kaiser Chiefs :lol:

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

23 hours ago, bgman said:

HIC !

I think I need to dry out for a while with this and see if I "bottle" it later on :no:

All part of the "party atmosphere" on the side project ...... no balloons were hurt during the process but that cake is calling......teehee ! 

G

TWO IN TENTS...... or should that be I think it needs to LIGHTEN UP ?

Following on from the last session with the bridge I thought it was a little too dark / intense for the stonework I was aiming for therefore, some of Señor Vallejos' finest paints were found and a quick tonal wash has now been applied ( Oh! why can't you just leave stuff alone ? ) 

I will attempt to give some subtle highlights where I feel necessary and get into that place I enjoy when trying to achieve some sort of realism......whether I get there is a totally different question ! 

IMG_4832.jpg.3e6fd6045f76142cee6102c9b4f2982d.jpg

G

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

More Faffing with the Bridge ! 

Attempt number.......erm.....FIVE.....sorry to bore you all again.

I mentioned in the last post that I wasn't too happy with the stonework so I spoke to the Vallajo's and we decided to redo the base stone.

This moaning I went ahead and gave the joints a bit of a going over too.....

IMG_4834.jpg.0bd4688ad0b0e16aba5f04299a9f82b0.jpg

I think I'm happier and with some dry brushing etc I think ? it may be getting there.

G

p.s. the photo was taken without a decent camera just used the iPhone and it doesn't look as dark in reality.

p.p.s I've now replaced the original photograph with a better ? one ( more light )

Edited by bgman
original photo replaced
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 2