EY UP ! Somewhere in Deepest Devon a 7mm adventure

bgman

I was thinking about how perilously close to edge of the board the 05 was (and I’ve had a couple of bad experiences in that department).

But it looks like the driver of the Autocoach didn’t realise his controller was set on ‘simulator’ when he shut the power off…

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Simond said:

Grahame,

you should really measure everything before consigning the double slip to the scrapyard…. It might be the loco, which might be easier to fix.

digital calipers time, old chap!   

atb

Simon

And a lump 'ammer to the wheels that is too wide.

• Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3

7 hours ago, bgman said:

p.p.s. Just in case anyone is wondering all the B to B's are correctly set on my stock.

2 hours ago, Simond said:

Grahame,

you should really measure everything before consigning the double slip to the scrapyard…. It might be the loco, which might be easier to fix.

digital calipers time, old chap!   

atb

Simon

Thank you Simon,

I did measure all back to backs, as with all of my stock and always with digital calipers.

I do appreciate what you've said but the fault definitely lies with the double slip.

It won't literally be binned but as I said previously the pointwork will all be handbuilt and no more faffing around with what has been used on the side project.

G

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, bgman said:

Thank you Simon,

I did measure all back to backs, as with all of my stock and always with digital calipers.

I do appreciate what you've said but the fault definitely lies with the double slip.

It won't literally be binned but as I said previously the pointwork will all be handbuilt and no more faffing around with what has been used on the side project.

G

Quite possibly the radius through the slip roads is too tight. Did it run OK through the straight roads? If so you might be able to add some sideplay on the loco axles.

• Thanks 1

During the Interval I came across some photographs of an old Broad Gauge layout I was building many years ago.

I appreciate they aren't of the best quality but thought I would post them "for old times sake"

The layout was my first large build for exhibitions and appeared at a few SW shows as a layout in progress.

Once again apologies for the quality.

1.  A view showing the basis of the construction using modules which were placed with dowels into the main boards

IMG_0390.jpg.1bbc6554d23d818ae1caa9a58153548b.jpg

2. An overall view looking towards the ( make believe ) West .

IMG_0389.jpg.edbefc7347ab47296797a8a22ba84dbc.jpg

3. The beginnings of a muddy dock area.

IMG_0388.jpg.ab29ab5deb04b248cf716d80fe6f1300.jpg

4. General view - in progress

IMG_0387.jpg.9fde59b77648f6f16b9a118ffa73b242.jpg

4. Looking towards ( supposedly ) Bath

IMG_0386.jpg.1bb9ea2a50b2d3b9772060cf11fd94c6.jpg

At the Newton Abbot show held in one of the Racecourse buildings I had a few interested folk asking questions when a lady passed by with her young son and was heard to remark -   quote : "Come along you don't want to look at a that it's too green ! " .

Laughter from the small crowd ensued.

G

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

7 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Quite possibly the radius through the slip roads is too tight. Did it run OK through the straight roads? If so you might be able to add some sideplay on the loco axles.

Yes John you're correct with the radius, and also the straight roads.

I agree about the loco axles but I am drawing a line under the project and it has now been partially disassembled never to resurface ! 
Drastic ? Maybe, but I have the main one to put my time too now. 

I appreciate all the help offered but I won't be altering any of the RTR locos as they perform very well and don't wish to mess with them.

Thank you though, very much appreciated.

G

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Ah, that would be the Avonside layout I think? I recognize the trow that you posted photos of once on another thread, and the beautiful barge.  I also have a vague recollection of seeing a photo of the layout before, perhaps on an earlier edition of the BGS website?

8 hours ago, bgman said:

modules which were placed with dowels into the main boards

Interesting. I think I understand the concept, but am trying to work out what the advantage would be. That the scenic modules can be worked on and stored separately?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

Ah, that would be the Avonside layout I think? I recognize the trow that you posted photos of once on another thread, and the beautiful barge.  I also have a vague recollection of seeing a photo of the layout before, perhaps on an earlier edition of the BGS website?

Interesting. I think I understand the concept, but am trying to work out what the advantage would be. That the scenic modules can be worked on and stored separately?

Blimey you have a good memory !

It was on the BGS website many years ago and was first exhibited at the Annual meeting in Newbury but I can't recall the year unfortunately.

Whilst at one of our local group get togethers I was speaking with my good friend Iain Rice who used small modules of track and scenery at that time on his layouts. His thoughts were that once placed there would be no straight joins on a baseboard "jigsaw fashion" leading the eye to see one homogenous scene.

He suggested that I try the idea on this layout which proved to be an advantage, as you've suggested I was able to work on each one individually and store them easily too. 

If I were to do it again I would use small magnets, in a similar vein to you with the add on back scene, which are easier to deploy. I have used the method with buildings in the past quite successfully too.

G

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, bgman said:

... I was speaking with my good friend Iain Rice who used small modules of track and scenery at that time on his layouts. His thoughts were that once placed there would be no straight joins on a baseboard "jigsaw fashion" leading the eye to see one homogenous scene.

I seem to remember that idea in one of his scribblings, was it in the Finescale Track book or another of his mighty tomes? 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

23 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

I seem to remember that idea in one of his scribblings, was it in the Finescale Track book or another of his mighty tomes? 

Quick answer.... Dunno !

Anything which related to Iain's work was usually during our meeting up when we discussed various ideas etc.

I don't possess his Finescale Track book but you may well be right ?

G

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, bgman said:

Whilst at one of our local group get togethers I was speaking with my good friend Iain Rice who used small modules of track and scenery at that time on his layouts. His thoughts were that once placed there would be no straight joins on a baseboard "jigsaw fashion" leading the eye to see one homogenous scene.

He suggested that I try the idea on this layout which proved to be an advantage, as you've suggested I was able to work on each one individually and store them easily too. 

Thanks G. Brings to mind an idea I had once whereby different time periods and even track sections could be represented on a layout. Never tried it out though, and there would be even more joins to conceal in this case.

image.png.517a7a13a7d85833f04f546db1ba8486.png

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Northroader said:

It were in “Model Railway Layout Design” (Wild Swan 1990)

7BE79FFF-1A5A-4893-9E92-3D104F193619.jpeg.f79990a1048e44a25648f020b5d75244.jpeg

A fabulous book well worth seeking out!  I’ve had my well thumbed copy since the early 90s and it’s always been a great source of inspiration.  That along with Iain’s equally fabulous book on fine scale track construction, got me back into railway modelling as an adult.  Bradfield St Clare was one of those layout ideas that sparked me off on many happy hours layout doodling along similar lines :)

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Northroader said:

I thought he was very fond of slipping in a siding too many?

Yes he probably was, some of the sidings were too short to be of much use. However he remains my favourite layout designer and his considered approach to all aspects of model railway design is still inspirational.

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Northroader said:

He did come up with “Cameo Layouts” after all.

Exactly!   Although Sherton probably wasn’t quite what he had in mind, it’s really just a rather large and unwieldy cameo layout inspired by his writings:)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, wenlock said:

Me too he has a splendid turn of phrase:)

I couldn't possibly comment when we're talking out of ear shot ! :o

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, bgman said:

I couldn't possibly comment when we're talking out of ear shot ! :o

Send him my best wishes next time you see him Grahame:)

Its gone very quiet on the River front, any progress on it? 

Ive been catching up with this thread today, the joys of no longer working on Wednesdays:)  

That pec double slip issue is a real pain! I seem to remember that there was a way of adjusting the tightness of the check rails on their points, not sure about their crossings though.

Good to see you modelling again, but hope the new stead is still proving fun!

BW

Dave

• Like 2

I watched the video above about the slip and TBH, I couldn't see the problem.

For my layout I needed a single slip.  Problem is that Peco don't do one and if they did it would cost ~ 100.00.  So I made my own on the Peco DS footprint.  It has been a trial to get things through the straight roads without derailing.  The center area has a rather large gap where wheels can lose their way.  I have been persevering and things are fairly good now.

So, have a good think about what you don't like, maybe there's a simple solution.

John

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

1 minute ago, wenlock said:

Send him my best wishes next time you see him Grahame:)

Its gone very quiet on the River front, any progress on it? 

Ive been catching up with this thread today, the joys of no longer working on Wednesdays:)  

That pec double slip issue is a real pain! I seem to remember that there was a way of adjusting the tightness of the check rails on their points, not sure about their crossings though.

Good to see you modelling again, but hope the new stead is still proving fun!

BW

Dave

Hi Dave,

More than happy to do so, last seen at a meeting in Teignmouth a few weeks ago and good to catch up after a while.

Ah ! The River, she's languishing in a siding currently awaiting some more "bits" - Pandemic related delays etc but I'm sure she'll be running when I have the necessary.

As for the D Slip it has been withdrawn from any service and I am now concentrating on handbuilt track in the future where I have control over what will work as with the other track.

The steed has now got 200 + miles on it and is proving to be really enjoyable, wish I'd got it years ago had one been available, only problem now is that I have a bit of neck strain when passing other bikers due to nodding !!! ( You'll know what I mean ).

I hope you'll make the most of every Wednesday from now on once again you know why.

ATB matey

G

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, bgman said:

Hi Dave,

More than happy to do so, last seen at a meeting in Teignmouth a few weeks ago and good to catch up after a while.

Ah ! The River, she's languishing in a siding currently awaiting some more "bits" - Pandemic related delays etc but I'm sure she'll be running when I have the necessary.

As for the D Slip it has been withdrawn from any service and I am now concentrating on handbuilt track in the future where I have control over what will work as with the other track.

The steed has now got 200 + miles on it and is proving to be really enjoyable, wish I'd got it years ago had one been available, only problem now is that I have a bit of neck strain when passing other bikers due to nodding !!! ( You'll know what I mean ).

I hope you'll make the most of every Wednesday from now on once again you know why.

ATB matey

G

Good to hear face to face meetings are going ahead again, it’s been a long time coming!

Glad you haven’t hit an insurmountable problem with the River, I’m waiting for you to finish yours before I start mine:D

Hand built track is definitely the way to go, easy to tweak until everything behaves properly:)

Good to hear you’ve got a few miles under your belt on the new machine, biker’s nod is an occupational hazard!

Yes I treat Tuesday evening as an extra Friday night now! Wednesday is now what Jayne calls a “doing day” which leaves the weekend free to do whatever we fancy!

BW

Dave

• Round of applause 1