EY UP ! Somewhere in Deepest Devon a 7mm adventure

bgman

3 minutes ago, brossard said:

I watched the video above about the slip and TBH, I couldn't see the problem.

For my layout I needed a single slip.  Problem is that Peco don't do one and if they did it would cost ~ 100.00.  So I made my own on the Peco DS footprint.  It has been a trial to get things through the straight roads without derailing.  The center area has a rather large gap where wheels can lose their way.  I have been persevering and things are fairly good now.

So, have a good think about what you don't like, maybe there's a simple solution.

John

Hi John,

Thanks for dropping in and I really appreciate you comments.

The problem, which may not be evident in the video is that both loco and wagon wheels are restricted to the extent of acting almost like a vice when passing through.

There probably is a simple solution as you say but I'm not inclined to spend any more time on it to be honest, it was purchased at well below the retail price some years ago at an exhibition so no great loss really.

That said as I have mention above somewhere it won't figure in any more work as I am using Greenwood Model Railway laser cut kits for any pointwork especially on my main project. They do exactly what it says on the tin, are cheaper than their main competitor and work with the added bonus of having the correctly space timbers.

G

Moving on to other things.....as I do !  :ok:

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Glad to hear your feedback.  I think that failures can teach us a lot so no grieving for the slip.  Maybe there's a reason the slip was marked down to what it was.

I've seen the Greenwood kits and they look good.  However, I haven't got around to trying one so far.

I really like making turnouts and mine, so far, have been done with Intentio wooden timbers, Peco rail and Peco chairs.  I have a shelf full of redundant turnouts that I can recycle.

P1010119.JPG.8b8be0552adcc868dbe859e89dcda3d5.JPG

The turnout in the middle is Peco but with improved tiebars (MM1).  I made the others.

Don't forget to include catch points (or is that trap points, I can never remember).

P1010153.JPG.98055ca5a6b676f74d6d50711bfbcac2.JPG

John

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium

May I be indulged with one last shout on an Iain Rice design, please? For me his best job was Hepton Wharf, which I saw at a show soon after its appearance, the Mark 1 version with just the LH fiddle Yard. I was taking it all in for ages, a really great design. It then gained a RH fiddle yard and passenger platform, both useful additions.

https://www.scalefour.org/shows/scaleforum2009/heptonwharf.html

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Northroader said:

May I be indulged with one last shout on an Iain Rice design, please? For me his best job was Hepton Wharf, which I saw at a show soon after its appearance, the Mark 1 version with just the LH fiddle Yard. I was taking it all in for ages, a really great design. It then gained a RH fiddle yard and passenger platform, both useful additions.

https://www.scalefour.org/shows/scaleforum2009/heptonwharf.html

I do like Iain's designs, even if the pointwork can be a little optimistic! I commissioned him to design my Horrabridge layout plan as I couldn't get something to work. Iain did a cracking job with it. I do find his work very easy to read: he has a lovely style. 

All the best,

Nick.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
On 26/10/2021 at 14:26, bgman said:

The Good, The Bad and the......lets just say unsatisfactory.

Last night was spent successfully wiring the small area of track and buoyed on by progress the Frog Juicer board lit up....nice.

The DCC system lit up......nice.

No problems were noticeable which makes the enthusiasm and expectation of seeing a loco run even more exciting and so the Class 05 was duly placed on the track ( not wasting precious GW locos as a first run just in case any "fizz pop bangs occur" :D ).

Well trainsetters ........ the 05 started well through the tracks until it manoeuvred through the Peco double slip !

To say it sounded not unlike finger nails scraping down a blackboard ( remember them ? ) as it negotiated the various options was disappointing to me to say the least. Along with other locos I tried there seemed to be a lack of gauge width between the switch rails on all accounts and each wheel had an interference as it passed through.

The double slip was bought as a new unused secondhand item from a show when I was just staring 7mm.

As previously stated elsewhere the idea for this "layout" was to use up and also recycle.

Here is a brief video in which you can just hear the problem and is far noisier in reality....

Not what I was expecting and the track is firmly fixed.

I am loath to take a file or for that matter a lump hammer to the problem, suffice to say if the gauge is incorrect on the off the shelf item then it won't be featuring on any more of my trackwork. 

I am not by any means defeatist however, it won't sit well with me knowing there is always going to be that nuisance area especially as it should be necessary to slow shunt through with wagons etc and having to increase the loco speed isn't an option.

CONCLUSION

The sidings will now be "scapped" so to speak and a rethink will take place.

Waste of time ?

No certainly not for me, other than maybe letting down the followers who showed an interest in project and also my grandchildren for which a lightweight but reasonable robust "layout" could be played with and to learn on.

Waste of money ?

Debatable, but as it was only a side project using what could possibly be described as scrap ( recycling ) then I haven't really lost anything by doing it. Minimal cost involved other than my time.

Sometimes it's better to admit some sort of defeat and move on which is exactly what I will be doing.

Hey Ho ! :senile:

Onwards and upwards .... to Infinity and beyond :jester:

G

p.s. it'll be back to handbuilt track again from now on.

p.p.s. Just in case anyone is wondering all the B to B's are correctly set on my stock.

Such an annoyance that it doesn't work satisfactory. I do like the track plan though. Will you retain that idea with the new project? 

Best wishes,

Nick.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

Such an annoyance that it doesn't work satisfactory. I do like the track plan though. Will you retain that idea with the new project? 

Best wishes,

Nick.

Bovvered ? 

Nah...moved on ! (see below )

Working on Drewe Tor as we speak with Mr.Templot at my fingertips.....

Here's a screen shot -

trackpad_screenshot_2021_10_27_1739_52.png.3198626da4f7e66b413fefff893ffbf1.png

Approx 4m in length using some pre-built pointwork and a bit of new stuff to 31.5mm Gauge through which I know my stock will run ( tested on previous built laser cut track ).

Any plain track will match as previous trial work for consistency thereby making it all homogenous.

Happy dayz :D

G

p.s. there will NOT be any D/S involved although I have built two previously which work just fine.

Oh !..... and before anyone asks why I didn't use one of them on the abandoned project it's because I was using up Mr.Peco's track.

• Like 8

Very quick post.

It seems I have enough points*  which I've already made plus one kit to complete ( top left of the photograph ).

Previous Templot plan printed and laid out on the floor.

All very roughly-ish placed with some spare Peco flexi track ( which will provide the rails for new ply sleepers and Exactoscale chairs to match ) on the Templot plan and it appears I won't need to purchase any more to start the Drewe Tor trackwork  ..... result ! 

It obviously pays to have a look and see what you already have and forgot about.

IMG_4974.jpeg.9dff67e6561810da42e77e50c9a2f111.jpeg

Until the next time......

G

* Greenwood Model Railways as mentioned elsewhere in previous posts.

• Like 12

4 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Why, what's he got? 

Nothing contagious I hope.

Unfortunately I contracted it when I was young..........Railwayitus Modelus which I have never been able to shake off ! 

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium

I blame my dad for buying me my first trainset.  I could have grown up normal and had a cheaper hobby like transatlantic yacht racing but there you go 

My old man does love a Charlie mind ;)

Edited by Tim Dubya
lead poisoning / red squirrels
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

Mock up of the Week....

Before I tidy the track off the floor I thought it might be an idea to place some of my part built structures beside it to get an impression of what might be coming.

The original platform can be adapted ( cut about basically ) to fit once the track is on some baseboards and I think I'll be happy with the proposal for Drewe Tor now.

It may be reminiscent of my most favourite layout in 7mm that deservedly keeps winning cups for the Best in Show( you know who you are :D ) but without that to inspire me it wouldn't have got to this stage in all honesty. Faffing about should now become some sort of reality hopefully.

Here are a few iPhone snaps to show what I mean.....

IMG_4978.jpeg.d0a0aca3f97044d4835211fe2d657e56.jpeg

IMG_4979.jpeg.a8a07b8f2818e10381f22448a996bc3f.jpeg

IMG_4980.jpeg.0980780f361c12eaa01b955030716aed.jpeg

IMG_4981.jpeg.e4cd2a92c47bdc9c3051def71f735420.jpeg

IMG_4983.jpeg.08a7bf95101964db0ba4a59633ed0316.jpeg

IMG_4984.jpeg.6714fe64f7cef2318a14535ba83fc13f.jpeg

I thank you.

G

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, bgman said:

Mock up of the Week....

Before I tidy the track off the floor I thought it might be an idea to place some of my part built structures beside it to get an impression of what might be coming.

The original platform can be adapted ( cut about basically ) to fit once the track is on some baseboards and I think I'll be happy with the proposal for Drewe Tor now.

It may be reminiscent of my most favourite layout in 7mm that deservedly keeps winning cups for the Best in Show( you know who you are :D ) but without that to inspire me it wouldn't have got to this stage in all honesty. Faffing about should now become some sort of reality hopefully.

I thank you.

G

But Pencarrow hasn't done any shows yet (ok, so board 1 of 4 has been to 3) but I'm happy to accept it's your favourite Gbloke.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bgman said:

Mock up of the Week....

I thank you.

G

What a delightful layout, quite perfect in it's proportions!:D

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Intermission over.....Thoughts gathered.....Now what's he doing ? 

Somewhere in this thread I posted some photographs of Italian buildings I had been working on over a year or so ago.

Well it transpires that they popped up in my cupboard this week and so I thought I would do something with them again......Oh No ! he's off recycling again !!!! 

Having placed some orders for sleepers etc for the 7mm track during the week I decided to busy myself following the previous scrapped small layout prior to them arriving.

Courtesy of the well know Swedish layout baseboard company I acquired a small board and supports for the 5 Tillig points I had left from the past onto which I will make a smaller layout. I do need to have a look in my garage for the Tillig track to suit too. That which has been placed won't be used.

The track plan may well be recognisable to some who follow Mr.Sheepbloke @NHY 581 and it got me thinking .......

IMG_5035.jpeg.05b36e31fd4d00f60b1337444ee17bca.jpeg

IMG_5037.jpeg.151e6381f3e2b5b5f1af178d0fce7d16.jpeg

IMG_5036.jpeg.fbb282661e52bb54aa425badecf5b587.jpeg

IMG_5033.jpeg.abc6fa5d26b8a9bdebdc961ccf1706ac.jpeg

IMG_5038.jpeg.3e4b1336bb819185295f0a99b612199b.jpeg

I have 5 of the small MP1 point motors which have an operating wire that will neatly fit through the board so why not use them too.

1153547002_IMG_5039copy.jpg.4ac583b186505a247ef670ab37e14426.jpg

There will be some faffing / making / mocking up buildings now whilst I try to create a reasonable backdrop.

Keeps the old brain ticking eh ? :senile:

G

Edited by bgman
words
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3

34 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

Love the buildings G!:sungum:

....and I do see the influence of Sheepbloke!

Thank you,

pssst ! You're quite right but lets keep it a secret between you and me, we wont tell Rob ! :blink:

G

• Like 1
  • Funny 1