EY UP ! Somewhere in Deepest Devon a 7mm adventure

bgman

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Tim Dubya said:

My cousin (no relation) worked for Marconi too, later EMI, in Somerset somewhere.  Do I win a flat?

I thought everyone in Somerset was related to each other, just like everyone in the East End is related to Ian Beal. 

You can win a luxury 1 bedroom apartment for the cheap price of £500,000.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I thought everyone in Somerset was related to each other, just like everyone in the East End is related to Ian Beal. 

You can win a luxury 1 bedroom apartment for the cheap price of £500,000.

We are and that's about the going price in Bath for a decent ex council gaff  :P

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

We are and that's about the going price in Bath for a decent ex council gaff  :P

So a greedy landlord can buy it and rent it out to students at inflated prices......I have been a victim of that and she came home without a degree. :(

There are some rough areas in Bath that are kept out of sight of the tourist.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

So a greedy landlord can buy it and rent it out to students at inflated prices......I have been a victim of that and she came home without a degree. :(

There are some rough areas in Bath that are kept out of sight of the tourist.

I know, I live in one, Queens Drive, Foxhill - even the cats are hard!  Many a drop of blood has been spilt between us and Odd Down over who owns the pedestrian crossing outside the new Sainsbury's!

Edited by Tim Dubya
Some semblance of the English language.
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
On 09/11/2021 at 17:00, bgman said:

Now that looks familiar ! 

Ironically I have done the same without realising it ..... spooky ! 

G

I like how yours is darker. 

These Italian scenes are very pleasing. Almost like being there. Sure beats Copenhagen in November.

• Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

A little bit of Seasonal inspiration.....

Pull up a Cappuccino and watch lots of smoke and steam coming from FS Class 740 as it winds through Northern Italy during December 2019.......love it ! 

G

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Fantastica! (Fantastico?).

Yes it is, there is something about a locomotive in full steam travelling through colder weather.

49 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Il mio hovercraft è pieno di anguille!

Why would you want a hovercraft full of eels ? :lol:

G

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, bgman said:

A little bit of Seasonal inspiration.....

Pull up a Cappuccino and watch lots of smoke and steam coming from FS Class 740 as it winds through Northern Italy during December 2019.......love it ! 

G

Yo Big G

I am getting a bit concerned with your latest post. Are you sure you don't come from Bedford and are really called Tony?

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Can't resist. It's something I just have to try out whenever I visit Google Translate.

Interesting that Italian doesn't have its own word. In French, of course c'est un aéroglisseur, which sounds quite delightful.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
On 08/11/2021 at 11:14, bgman said:

The Italian Job.......

I decided to have a faff around yesterday evening and used the cardboard cover off the Ikea top as a back scene support for an old commercial printed back scene. All very temporary but it gives me an initial idea of the overall backdrop to the buildings once complete.

I would prefer to paint my own backdrop eventually but this gives me some encouragement.

I also decided to experiment with some foam board I recently purchased and have placed the track upon it with a strengthened void below in which I will put the electrics etc. It will form a single piece of a "jigsaw" to plonk onto the Ikea "baseboard" top.

My thoughts are such that I don't want to cut through the top if it can be helped, if it doesn't work out then I consider they are cheap enough currently to replace. 

Here are some of the poorly taken shots of it so far ( 'cos I know we all want photographs to look at eh ! ) ........

IMG_5053.jpg.49cd13b317e4e66fe6c2e3b4ea8b5416.jpg

IMG_5054.jpg.f5290c9150f0060e207e5be8dcaf7e62.jpg

IMG_5056.jpeg.013688b71c8b3b9b3e39b31b51fd9a57.jpeg

Bella !

G

So Gbloke.... You're building a 7mm layout and have decided to do a smaller scale quicky. Sounds familiar! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

43 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

building a 7mm layout and have decided to do a smaller scale quicky

Idle hands etc Spammerz.

I've been waiting for an order of laser cut sleepers to arrive for the 7mm one so I decided to use up some spare stuff.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, bgman said:

Idle hands etc Spammerz

I got they.  I didn't plan my sick days effectively and I'm sat at home whilst my order for train set building toys is sat at work.

I shall, however, build a mock-up of a LSWR type 1 goods shed from toast.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, Northroader said:

White bread or wholemeal?

Ciabata for Italian buildings or if S & D.R. then Dooh ! - bread

Yours

Homer Simpson

• Funny 4

New Arrival  / Old model  ROCO FS E 626.409  

Quick update on the Italian based layout...

I took delivery earlier today of an old analogue version of a FS E 626 locomotive which was produced by ROCO I believe back in 1994.

It was kept in excellent condition by its previous owner and ran well in analogue mode.

As I operate in DCC I managed to find a spare Lenz decoder, so out with the soldering iron etc and converted her this evening and here is the result.....

( rubbish video but it gives an idea of her running )

There is a company* in Italy who produce DCC conversion boards complete with LED's which fit into older models but I always like a small challenge.

The next stage will be to obtain some suitable LED's to fit inside but for now I am happy with the slow running and response to the decoder fitted.

G

* The cost of posting is actually more than the cost of the board in this instance ! 

• Like 11

Making stuff, shuffling stuff and having Minestrone soup with croutons ( yeah really as I am typing ! )

It's been a few days since my last post here and during that time I have drawn up a few ideas and made a base unit for a small chapel for the Italian themed layout.

There is a sort of plan / idea in my head for a final layout ( that's how i like to work these days ) and a bit of make it up as I go too.

OK I know it can lead to mistakes etc but some have been happy ones which I like to turn into something useful.

Here is where I am currently, showing an overall shot with a few close ups and a drawn up idea for a large culvert. 

I say culvert due to the fact that in my head ( where else would you find something like this ) the layout is based close to the border with Switzerland which from time to time will discharge amounts of water into a dried up river bed running below the track.

I want to try and make up some suitable iron gates across the opening onto a grassed area hence the lower radius of the arch.

An overall shot of my messings so far.....

IMG_5130.jpg.56f2a00d7ac645b7f890fc3c0e1d3f45.jpg

The large culvert, which will have some decorative stone / brickwork eventually, well that's the idea so as to give it some relief above the arch.

IMG_5129.jpeg.30fa4c79523c991f0174a0fccd543ad6.jpeg

And the beginning of a small-ish chapel, not sure whether to make this in stone or give it a rendered finish yet .......

IMG_5126.jpeg.1c7350e460b4ebc5f95f6e9b8e8524ab.jpeg

You may also just be able to pick out another ROCO FS E 626, here she is having arrived today to join her sister loco......

IMG_5131.jpg.8d3699f0c3cfc9974c608dff63ef3b6d.jpg

New and never used, accessories still in the plastic bags so she will need a good running in ! 

I'm also waiting for more brass rod to enable a few more catenary posts to be made ( far cheaper than buying ready made  :D ).

Chao ! 

G

Edited by bgman
a silly apostrophe and basic spelling ! Duh !!!
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1