EY UP ! Somewhere in Deepest Devon a 7mm adventure

bgman

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, bgman said:

I've put the buildings to one side for today and started something a little bit different...

IMG_1994.jpg.5af6446d57ac885a9106362a974db15e.jpg

G

I see you've put the cart before the horse again.

• Funny 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, bgman said:

I've put the buildings to one side for today and started something a little bit different...

Ah, a proper  layout with horses. There will be a horse, won't there? No cheating!

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I was think more like

Ever Reliant Clive !

Edited by bgman
spelling !

As part of my other builds I've made a start today on a 7mm Armstrong 1800 gallon tender for my Armstrong Goods...

1265648821_IMG_2027copy.jpg.37ab925e49aaeb458c03086ee0f74b2b.jpg

407920927_IMG_2028copy.jpg.877324d75cbae7e3bac97f5ea4a4c6f4.jpg

G

• Like 11

Side sheets now added....

IMG_2037-2.jpeg.3bbd06408bfa031ee53a38c115428019.jpeg

and posed behind the Armstrong Goods ( yet to finish ! ) 

1875720376_IMG_2036-2copy.jpg.9223a0f63e7c729c1876c7658129eae7.jpg

G

• Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

More progress this evening and being observed by the Dean Goods fireman !

Side coal sheets and rails plus filler added, solder will be tidied up tomorrow.

IMG_2060.jpeg.9ba415302a7f1868bf4d53d1b2c1a4df.jpeg

thanks for looking.

G

• Like 13

4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

You're welcome, but where's the 4mm stuff??!!

We want some more of the 4mm stuff, please, mister!

2 hours ago, Mikkel said:

I bet he's hiding it in that secret closet of his.

It's all sulking in the garage, and at the risk of conflict with the initial thread title I am really enjoying the 7mm builds currently so that's where I will continue for now.

That said, whilst in the garage earlier today I did find some model buildings dating back to 1998 / 1999 !

G

Edited by bgman
Can't make up my mind !
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 03/05/2020 at 19:54, bgman said:

Side sheets now added....

IMG_2037-2.jpeg.3bbd06408bfa031ee53a38c115428019.jpeg

and posed behind the Armstrong Goods ( yet to finish ! ) 

1875720376_IMG_2036-2copy.jpg.9223a0f63e7c729c1876c7658129eae7.jpg

G

unnamed.jpg.8e02c5dc0b290d589b6405a85dcae2af.jpg

Well, it's all looking rather spiffing, bg old boy!

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, bgman said:

at the risk of conflict with the initial thread title I am really enjoying the 7mm builds currently so that's where I will continue for now.

Ah, a Trojan horse. Very clever.

Culham looks superb in the background. You are picking the best from the West :)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Ah, a Trojan horse. Very clever.

Culham looks superb in the background. You are picking the best from the West :)

You may be close to the truth with your observation Mikkel !

Initially that wasn't the intention but as time has progressed my 4mm interests have wained to be honest (not that I am ignoring it totally ).

With the move to 7mm and the influence of Dave's superb Sherton Abbas playing a MAJOR part in my change of gauge I don't foresee much happening soon on the 4mm front.......There I've said it !

I have played around with the initial concept of the original posting and cannot resolve a satisfactory outcome in my mind to be honest which has niggled me somewhat. A layout needs to be interesting and have some play value etc as we all know, unfortunately I cannot seem to get there with it yet, it may come ?

I have invested far too much time and dosh to ignore the BIG stuff and it is giving me a massive amount of pleasure, which is what its all about eh ?

In the meantime the 7mm station which is very reminiscent of Culham needs to be finished and thank you for your other comments.

As for picking the Best from the West, well, another Edwardian GWR layout is on the cards so expect more in the future hopefully.

Finally all that said i will leave you with this short video ( which you m ay have already seen ? ) showing the Armstrong on chassis trials. Please ignore all the detritus !

G

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

17 hours ago, Mikkel said:

I bet he's hiding it in that secret closet of his.

And just by way of another teaser.....

IMG_0950.jpg.5ac70f3433f7761d8d08fe6d0be47023.jpg

This may well be next on the workbench once the Armstrong Goods has been done prior to painting ?

G

• Like 9

But before that.....

I have started to erect the mainframes for a Malcolm Mitchell 517 Class loco today ( from that 7mm stash ! )

fullsizeoutput_21eb.jpeg.f8c8dc30560a84348dc2c2521b93bf09.jpeg

I had the wheels in my spares box which were purchased at a meet and had been painted very heavily,  I removed it last night and are now back to the original finish.

Whilst it isn't going to be a quick build, having looked at the excellent etches and castings it seems to be a good kit to build with very comprehensive instructions and without a tender for a change ! 

G

Edited by bgman
  • Like 12

8 minutes ago, Adrian Stevenson said:

I will be following the 517 build with interest as I intend doing one of these at some point.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade and thank you.

I am currently waiting for some extra bits for the build and hope they arrive either today or tomorrow that are necessary for the frame build.

One area that I have been discussing with Dave ( Wenlock of this Parish ) are the spacers for the frames. The kit has three alternatives and I originally tack soldered the ones described as Finescale O. I found these to be far too narrow and have now cut out the Scale 7 options to use. I thought it might have been my misunderstanding of the comprehensive instruction sheets, but, having questioned it both Dave and I agreed it was correct to use the S7 ones. When he built his lovely version and used the same so we both ironically felt the same.

As soon as the horn blocks arrive I will be tacking the two side frames together and cutting them to receive these, I won't be using the rocking beam system which is in the kit. I am unsure about what I will do with the rear trailing axle, horn blocks or fixed ? 

I would certainly advise reading then re-reading the instructions before commencing your build even at to the extent of doing a "dry" run, so as to be certain about what version you wish to build.

That said, it is a lovely kit and I note that here  -  http://www.raymondwalley.com/loco/gwr/517n1475.html  Raymond Walley has built it and refers as a good beginners kit ( obviously with some experience behind them ! ).

I await my bits to arrive !

I've enjoyed your Slaters coach builds so far and have also been watching as I too have some to build eventually.

Take care and stay safe,

G

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Just been catching up with your progress Grahame, I hope you aren’t overwhelmed with the “ Likes and Craftsman” votes!  Although I’ve requested “Follow content”, I’m not getting any notifications for some reason, but it does mean I get lots to look at once I do catch up:-)

Keep up with the good work!

BW

Dave

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 23/05/2020 at 23:57, wenlock said:

Keep up with the good work!

Rivet counters etc may wish to look away now !

Last week I had a strange thought and decided to purchase one of Mr.Dapol's O Gauge 48xx models.

Whilst I like this GWR Class it doesn't fit in with my time period therefore I have taken the tools out over the past few days and going from this...

fullsizeoutput_2211.jpeg.2362b6ce50956399f39eafbfe8e130c4.jpeg

to this ( still in progress ).....

IMG_2239.jpeg.fc230bf19a546685d021c0477235c2f8.jpeg

IMG_2241.jpeg.479a3c65900616f195eda064c98d6cc8.jpeg

IMG_2243.jpeg.8de95dabb308054ff461bc0fe852941b.jpeg

Oh dear ! What have I done ? 

All this was decided whilst waiting for various items to arrive to enable me to commence my Malcolm Mitchell 517 Class kit.

If anyone has built the kit they will know there are many variations catered for and spare etches which is where my strange thought began.

Obviously it will be renumbered to suit its location, No.1158 shedded at Newton Abbot in 1922.

I accept that there will be a few anomalies hence .... look away if you don't like what I have done so far but, once finished I will have another loco from my chosen period to play with and at a fraction of the cost of others on the market plus it has a lovely smooth mechanism.

The things ya do eh !

G

Edited by bgman
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

A short time spent this morning putting a new face onto the smokebox front.

I received an early version with surround from Laurie Griffin castings yesterday and replaced the original door. This presented a slight problem in that the method by which Dapol have engineered for fitting DCC decoders requires the door to be removed.

The rear of Dapols smokebox has three specific location "tabs" which hold the door in place. By using the LG replacement it requires something to do a similar job. I decided to re-use part of this moulding by very, and I emphasise VERY carefully sand off the domed front of the door until you have a flat surface upon which the LG casting can be fixed to.

I now have a workable replacement which enables the door to be removed to gain access again to the decoder gubbins.

IMG_2245.jpeg.d9a867415e732368a56e06296b66c54f.jpeg

IMG_2246-1.jpeg.2d5bbbbf6c4115297126739c67d748cf.jpeg

and one with the extra LG castings + cab temporarily put onto the model 

IMG_2247.jpeg.671157dc3401094bdac105a505b9de25.jpeg

More later.

G

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Onwards with my Dapol 48xx conversion to something like a 517 Class hopefully ?

The top part is getting close to the paint shop now......

IMG_2259.jpeg.deaa899503e52f8c5fa7265a1c8c19a0.jpeg

IMG_2260.jpeg.25b2487d0a394850e336d9e925aa29dc.jpeg

IMG_2261.jpeg.536d42460fc29f35f2688d05c84bd501.jpeg

IMG_2262.jpeg.e6885a7d309c9d7af1d68ff6a17f39cc.jpeg

IMG_2263.jpeg.3c4ac5e593569a4b32c5a40edf8738b2.jpeg

I'm waiting for some suitable toolboxes to place on top of the tanks and will also replace the water fillers too.

Rivet details and numberplates were carefully removed together with the Great Western lettering with a flat blade scalpel.

As the main body of this is plastic I decided to use plasticard for infills and additions seen in white on the loco. Surprisingly the safety valve bonnet was found to be cast brass under the original paintwork so with a drop of paint remover it has cleaned up nicely, bonus !

One anomaly I found ( or its probably me ! ) is that the rear cab etch in Malcolm's kit seems to have the brake handle cover on the opposite side to that which I have found on photographs. I therefore used my fretsaw to make an opening on the correct ? side and fabricated a new cover for it, the original opening was then plated over which, once the bunker is coaled up won't be seen.

The main footplate will be attended to once I have cleaned up the upper body parts after which I will then decide about a final livery.

New front sandboxes will also be added next to the smokebox and those below on the cast subframes will be covered with a appropriate fabricated valance ( as they are part of the models casting I won't attempt to cut them away ).

G

Edited by bgman
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7