EY UP ! Somewhere in Deepest Devon a 7mm adventure

bgman

14 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Quickest 517 build I've seen for some time! Well spotted Grahame, and beautifully executed as always.

Must resist! :)

Quick-ish but enjoyable !

I assume you mean the cab back etch, strange but maybe I could be enlightened on this , I'm certain someone knows ?

If I have got it wrong it will stay like this as the photographs I have studied all show it there and the brake undergubbins is directly below where the handle is on the model so it would make sense.

" Must resist" ?

Nah ! You would be impressed by Mr.Dapol's model I'm certain, also, if you enjoy a small shunting layout ( which I know you do ) then the slow speed is very impressive.

G

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, bgman said:

Quick-ish but enjoyable !

I assume you mean the cab back etch, strange but maybe I could be enlightened on this , I'm certain someone knows ?

If I have got it wrong it will stay like this as the photographs I have studied all show it there and the brake undergubbins is directly below where the handle is on the model so it would make sense.

" Must resist" ?

Nah ! You would be impressed by Mr.Dapol's model I'm certain, also, if you enjoy a small shunting layout ( which I know you do ) then the slow speed is very impressive.

G

Stupid thought for the day - you didn't fit the cab back back-to-front did you?

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, bgman said:

I meant well spotted that the etch could be used to modify the Dapol item.

Regarding the brake handle cover, I just had a look through some photos - it hides really well, so there may not be that many who ever noticed. Maybe @JimC  has some insights.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Stupid thought for the day - you didn't fit the cab back back-to-front did you?

Never stupid to ask a question, I have questioned it myself but when the comprehensive instructions in Malcolm Mitchell's kit are examined it is Part no. 79 and described as - Cab Rear with access door for extended enclosed version.

If it is used in conjunction with any other etched parts it wouldn't make sense, at least not to me.

I have tried to find a kit build that maybe shows it but most usually build the open cab versions, as probably will I when it comes to it.

G

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

DOING MY BIT FOR THE PLANET.....and my pocket !!! 

Whilst I wait for various 7mm items for my main layout I decided to do something for the environment and try a bit of recycling.

All the items seen were scratch built by me back in the 1990's, having discovered them in the "cupboard" I thought they could be used on a 4mm project which I started over the weekend.

The intention has been to spend little or no money and utilise what I have, also bearing in mind the current difficulties obtaining materials etc.

Just a bit of fun !

G

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, bgman said:

DOING MY BIT FOR THE PLANET.....and my pocket !!! 

Whilst I wait for various 7mm items for my main layout I decided to do something for the environment and try a bit of recycling.

All the items seen were scratch built by me back in the 1990's, having discovered them in the "cupboard" I thought they could be used on a 4mm project which I started over the weekend.

The intention has been to spend little or no money and utilise what I have, also bearing in mind the current difficulties obtaining materials etc.

Just a bit of fun !

G

lovely little shelf layout and all those scratch built items still look very good indeed.

liking it.

Cheers 

Ade

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, AdeMoore said:

lovely little shelf layout and all those scratch built items still look very good indeed.

liking it.

Cheers 

Ade

Thank you Ade, it did start as a 4'0" plank but ..... well you know ! :lol:

The various scratch built "bits" need a good dust off and some TLC but they'll do, seems a pity to leave them at the back of the cupboard really.

ATB

G

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Typical social media types, making sure to post all about how they're saving the planet :jester:

That's good stuff Grahame, the magic cupboard has done it again!

• Funny 1

More progress on the 48xx conversion 

All the relevant pieces 

fullsizeoutput_222d.jpeg.f863c51b2ab1c2d1386dea59b347f206.jpeg

Front view showing various pieces dry fitted 

fullsizeoutput_222e.jpeg.59a87d8d4e7e0d0e5773b3416dcbc0b6.jpeg

And a rear view

fullsizeoutput_222f.jpeg.4528b7fb0cc5b21bd4c756434ac2b831.jpeg

G

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Gold

Grahame - really liking the 517 conversion - looks great! 

Out of curiosity what does the Dapol chassis look like in terms of motor arrangement etc please? I’m considering getting one as a basis for a project but haven’t been able to locate a picture of what the chassis looks like without the bodywork on - would you be able to take a photo of yours please? 

Thanks,  

Neil

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NeilHB said:

Grahame - really liking the 517 conversion - looks great! 

Out of curiosity what does the Dapol chassis look like in terms of motor arrangement etc please? I’m considering getting one as a basis for a project but haven’t been able to locate a picture of what the chassis looks like without the bodywork on - would you be able to take a photo of yours please? 

Thanks,  

Neil

Thank you Neil,

Do these help ?

IMG_2393.jpeg.576c0f80f21f0983f762b58928cdb22f.jpeg

IMG_2394.jpeg.27c1940c084fc7baaee1d962b4385818.jpeg

Decoder taken out for clarity to show undergubbins.

May I ask out of interest what are you planning to do as a project if you use the chassis ?

G

Edited by bgman
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bgman said:

Thank you Neil,

Do these help ?

IMG_2393.jpeg.576c0f80f21f0983f762b58928cdb22f.jpeg

IMG_2394.jpeg.27c1940c084fc7baaee1d962b4385818.jpeg

Decoder taken out for clarity to show undergubbins.

May I ask out of interest what are you planning to do as a project if you use the chassis ?

G

Perfect - thanks Grahame! 

I’m minded to try and attempt what Edwardian is doing over on the Castle Aching thread, and turn the 1400 into an approximation of a Great Eastern T7 0-4-2T https://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php/locomotives/sw-johnson/t7  

Although his version is of the Colne Valley and Halstead version which was subtly different. 

It’s a bit radical and I’m not sure if it will work, but looking at the photos of the chassis I think it might just be doable. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I did turn off the volume, well the Screaming Females were playing on Spotify.

37 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

I also turned it off, and made my own choo-choo noises. My idea of a Saturday night party.

Good job you don't come to a gig when I'm DJ'ing then !

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

• 1 month later...

un piccolo diversivo al mio altro lavoro......

IMG_2640.jpg.7165f4e4618193dc775006d1e9d22168.jpg

I haven't used foam board for any buildings previously so I thought I would give it a try for a small diorama project.

Plenty more to do.....

Grazie !

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 9

4 hours ago, teaky said:

Fab.

Have you carved the foam board or is it a carved layer of DAS?

It's straight carving onto the foam board with a blunted pencil which also leaves a trace as you work across it.

• Informative/Useful 3

4 hours ago, Northroader said:

Molto bennyissimo, mi capitano. Been following this thread?

https://forum.e-train.fr/viewtopic.php?p=2367781#p2367781

I found the Italian version by the chap modelling the buildings after some searching ,  its what has inspired me to have a go.

G

• Like 4