EY UP ! Somewhere in Deepest Devon a 7mm adventure

bgman

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, bgman said:

It's straight carving onto the foam board with a blunted pencil which also leaves a trace as you work across it.

Might try that for a tunnel mouth - thanks!

• Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Might try that for a tunnel mouth - thanks!

Worth a go John, its an interesting material and benefits from being cheap enough to discard if you make a mistake or want to experiment with.

I too will be trying it for the same purpose.

G

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, bgman said:

Worth a go John, its an interesting material and benefits from being cheap enough to discard if you make a mistake or want to experiment with.

I too will be trying it for the same purpose.

G

Thanks Grahame. I'm going to build a model of Treverrin Tunnel east portal - there are photos on the Cornwall Railway Society website but they're copyright so I can't post them here (yes I know it should be the west portal but the photos of the east end are better than those of the west. I think they were pretty well identical anyway).

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Slowly experimenting with the building facade details......

IMG_2672.jpeg.d7847d3043203ef92b6e5a1c8f0b9b65.jpeg

And decided to try making some catenary posts ( can't reconcile the cost of commercial products ! )....

IMG_2670.jpeg.277b5a100718e38ca98d295eb4da9868.jpeg

Ciao per ora !

G

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

4 hours ago, Mikkel said:

Lovely buildings, G! 

What board did you use?

New to me although I have seen other modellers use it, it's 5 mm dense foamboard scribed with a pencil. I'm not convinced when photographed so close up but not too bad at a normal viewing distance. I will also work on those joints, I think it would improve the look ?

G  

49 minutes ago, Northroader said:

Mamma Mia! Non trifase??

potresti avere ragione ?

Although Mr.Somerfeldts' products are very nice I don't want to purchase the amount that i need just for a small layout, therefore I've experimented with some suitable brass tube, which to my reckoning is approx. 50 pence worth ( if that ) for each post.

I consider it pleasing to try and al least its not a more complicated system to reproduce.

tutto questo e altro ancora in seguito......Ciao !

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, bgman said:

New to me although I have seen other modellers use it, it's 5 mm dense foamboard scribed with a pencil.

Grahame, do you leave the card coating on the foamboard or am I thinking of a different product? How do you seal exposed edges (if you have any)?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, bgman said:

I'm not convinced when photographed so close up but not too bad at a normal viewing distance.

I think the 'Forex' board that I've described earlier would be good for this sort of thing (stocked by Green Stuff world). It's also called foamed PVC, which doesn't sound nice but they do claim it no longer contains PVC. Wargaming modellers use it for structures. This was done very quickly back when I experimented with setts and flagstones.

IMG_20190512_102812956.jpg.858c39837adbef65886e44ecc41b6e50.jpg

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Grahame, do you leave the card coating on the foamboard or am I thinking of a different product? How do you seal exposed edges (if you have any)?

Hi john,

Its as Mikkel described, the product is similar to Forex and doesn't have any card facings. I did have some which I tried to remove the card but it didn't come away without removing some of the underlying foam.

I haven't sealed any of the edges and just used acrylic straight onto the foam which seems to take well.

Hope this helps.

G

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, bgman said:

Hi john,

Its as Mikkel described, the product is similar to Forex and doesn't have any card facings. I did have some which I tried to remove the card but it didn't come away without removing some of the underlying foam.

I haven't sealed any of the edges and just used acrylic straight onto the foam which seems to take well.

Hope this helps.

G

It does indeed Grahame. There seem to be some suppliers round here too.

Thanks.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...

I thought it would be polite to inform those of you who look in about my current situation.

Following an admission to the local hospital last Friday and having surgery to remove my gall bladder I am currently in recovery.

I am happy to say that all went very well but recuperation will take some time and as such I don't currently have the enthusiasm for much modelling. That will change as the weeks/months go forward but for now all has come to a standstill.

In the meantime whilst looking through my cupboards I came across my O Gauge GWR City Class loco to give me some encouragement in the future.....

fullsizeoutput_2301.jpeg.f5da965f4bf3a5974077451c4a234a05.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_2302.jpeg.de23ee4f70e69138d2f6128e31a7721a.jpeg

She is a lovely smooth runner and will eventually be converted to DCC and acquire suitable name & number-plates.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13

Speedy return to health, BG!   Recovery from any kind of surgery isn't just physical, your morale is also very important, so keep your spirits up and start plotting the next instalment!

Best wishes,  Mike

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Small steps, my friend, small steps (not on the loco - they look just the right size).

Thank you John I intend too, having been on a slab twice before many years ago I know what to expect ! 

20 minutes ago, Spotlc said:

Speedy return to health, BG!   Recovery from any kind of surgery isn't just physical, your morale is also very important, so keep your spirits up and start plotting the next instalment!

Best wishes,  Mike

Very much appreciated Mike, I have a pretty strong constitution which is only dampened by tiredness during the day and some frustration ( mind you I will be 66 of our English Years old tomorrow so maybe it's to be expected ! :lol: ).

I may jump back on the 7mm layout when I return to modelling......watch this space if interested !

G

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

• RMweb Gold

Morning Grahame, 

Many happy returns for today!!!!

Best wishes from the Sheep!!!!!

9ea7cab64f5df0b801c1be5ce47efc58.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Brief update following my op....

Happy to say all went well and recovering better than i expected which led me to take my first ride this afternoon....

IMG_3091.jpeg.ee5ff4fa3e30546b3a3b284b54c938f0.jpeg

Rode to Topsham and felt good so I decided to take it one stage further and ended up in.....

fullsizeoutput_230f.jpeg.ef275976eb0dcc0e3a31da4f41be2d84.jpeg

Sunny Exmouth, well why not ?

All this is much needed for me to help get back to where I was over a year ago..... now minus the Gall Bladder.....Hoorah !!!

It has also given me a clear head which can only be beneficial for all sorts of reasons, one of which is my return to the O Gauge proposal that has lain in mothballs for many many months.

This week has seen a basic platform shell being made together with a revised decision to use a goods shed that was put away 18 months ago. I have now decided to incorporate it on the layout and complete it along with other items.

I have also been working on the CAD drawings for these.....

894295792_readjustedpaviorsize.jpg.579216b838ea152a01dd8e0c4bcb15b6.jpg

I produced a drawing some while back which was used in the outside loo attached to the station ( seen in the top pic ) .

1386598753_ScreenShot2020-10-15at19_08_11.png.c8799586a824f5308c72aa121ba24115.png

I want to produce some more on my Silhouette Cutter for the station platform, which may or may not work so some experimentation will be taking place there.

I also have a small private project that needs completing for a friend before all of the above re-commences, but getting on the bike into fresh air really makes a BIG difference.

G

IMG_3097.jpeg

IMG_3098.jpeg

Edited by bgman
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3