EY UP ! Somewhere in Deepest Devon a 7mm adventure

bgman

16 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

I'm glad to hear that Grahame. You are riding in style I see. Specialized. Great bikes.

Thank you Mikkel, the Specialized sure is an excellent bike, I know some consider it to be overpriced ( paying for the name ) which is a whole new matter for debate....not here though. It originally had a 2 year warranty which Specialized have extended to 4 YEARS ! No other manufacturer has met that to my knowledge. 

First service this week hence wanting to get out again after completing 1049 km or 652 miles, mostly off road, which is what the bike is designed for and what I enjoy the most ! 

The app on my 'phone is also useful which enables programming of the motor "on the hoof" if need, incredible stuff....who needs DCC :D

865836803_Specializedreadout.png.8326c43657d2cb2e5f8dc3572c987a08.png

IMG_3093.jpg.2dd4847197a62a56a3233542bd6d0dff.jpg

G

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1

Oh ! I meant to mention this arrived before I left for my ride.....

998020362_GWRMinkABS.jpg.ce20cea76344975b0ba0af43a4587aa4.jpg

Picked it up at an extremely good price ( under £30 ! ) and will be another useful piece of stock for the layout, I haven't made a white metal kit for several years. I think I will source some suitable etched rockers to compensate the wheels rather than use the original cast white metal fixed ones.

G

• Like 11

Having a play before bedtime with the Silhouette printer to produce some diamond paviors, I'm fairly happy with what has been cut ( apologies for the photograph, difficult to see when on white plasticard but hopefully enough is visible ).

I will now try and make a mold from these and then attempt to cast them in resin or maybe hard plaster.

215298888_diamondsheetcut.jpg.a83687670414a6bb6710889e1f861768.jpg

Nighty night,

G

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

That looks good Grahame. Will the ridges along the cut lines create problems with the mold? (genuine question, I know nothing of such things).

8 hours ago, bgman said:

865836803_Specializedreadout.png.8326c43657d2cb2e5f8dc3572c987a08.png

That's handy. No doubt soon we will have similar apps to monitor our own system status :)

• Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Mikkel said:

That looks good Grahame. Will the ridges along the cut lines create problems with the mold? (genuine question, I know nothing of such things).

That's handy. No doubt soon we will have similar apps to monitor our own system status :)

Thanks Mikkel, if I have read your question correctly ?  I don't see a specific problem occurring having used molding rubber recently for a (private) railway related project. It picks out very fine details when used to replicate items which gives me confidence to use it. Once the plasticard was printed I gave it a brush over with a fine wire brush to remove any minute debris and give a slight emphasis to the lines.

That said, I did consider just printing all the pavior areas on the Silhouette printer as it isn't vast and it could easily cope with it, by doing so it will cut one more process out and save on materials. We will see.

Oh ! I don't think so, what app could possibly replicate my system status  !!! :scratchhead: :stinker:

G

Edited by bgman
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

Er, you could ask Mr Sheepshanks the directions to a certain cafe.

Does it serve a Full English with black pud and tea ? 

If so please lead me there !

• Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Alright I've been with a Lady...... in the Erecting Shop this afternoon....

IMG_3214.jpeg.7ab795980b31ad4a7266381ebc8b7f9f.jpeg

IMG_3215.jpeg.972a69c100a452f13d642226661440ca.jpeg

IMG_3216.jpeg.df0eaa2238d298e3c3d0addf2f5898e6.jpeg

I've made a start on the chassis for an early version of a GWR Lady Class, its been languishing in its box for a while and having received the wheels earlier I decided to commence the build. The kit will need some alteration specifically to the front end but its relatively minor work to make it square rather than curved.

Albeit an early Acorn Models / Scorpio kit all the various etches have fitted together very well so far which is encouraging.

Despite weight restrictions which would be imposed on my on going layout it is one locomotive that I have always liked so.....what the heck, it'll run here eventually.

G

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

Aha, moving into the big stuff now! That's a bit of a surprise, you haven't done much in terms of big passenger engines for a while, I think?  Looks like lovely clean work so far. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 07/11/2020 at 07:07, Mikkel said:

Aha, moving into the big stuff now! That's a bit of a surprise, you haven't done much in terms of big passenger engines for a while, I think?  Looks like lovely clean work so far. 

Mikkel,

It is sort of a surprise in some ways, however, I have wanted to have a 2900 Class and when this came up for sale it was priced way below other kits that are available so it was a no brainer !

The kit is going together pretty well so far with the usual minor items to alter very slightly, I am enjoying the build and here is where I have got to so far....

758301672_Ladymainframeandcab.jpg.aa7b9667f3b10caada0c748d437e50ba.jpg

The front end will be modified to a straight frame but it made sense to fold the base etch first and then cut out the curved portion, thereby retaining the integrity of the model.

The cab front etch had half etched round windows that have now been opened up as per the early builds.

Whilst testing the free running I totally forgot when pushing it on the line into the platform.....Oh dear the cylinder covers hit the edgings ! :lol:

Thankfully nothing has been fixed in place so it will be a minor alteration to move the platform back for clearances. Phew !!! 

G

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

5 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Saints above what are you up to know?

Eventually hoping to play puffer trains of course Clive ! :D

She will be a Lady, but no Saint !

G

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

7 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Don't worry, Gromit is probably not far away.

Why? Has he decide to do something about his hearing ?

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, bgman said:

Why? Has he decide to do something about his hearing ?

I believe the Captain is referring to the end of  Nick Park's "The Wrong Trousers" , where said Gromit manages to make a box of six pieces of track go much further than any mere railway modeller ever has. :D:jester:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

2 hours ago, simonmcp said:

I believe the Captain is referring to the end of  Nick Park's "The Wrong Trousers" , where said Gromit manages to make a box of six pieces of track go much further than any mere railway modeller ever has. :D:jester:

Thank you, I did realise but CK does like the odd curve ball as do I ! ^_^ 

• Agree 2

Right then, moving on.

I have now made the boiler and smokebox ( not soldered together yet ) and posed them on the mainframes.

Obviously incomplete but starting to come together and beginning to look like a locomotive.....

594954352_Ladyboilerandsmokebox.jpg.f5705caa981d3f5f8203d5d9f1c7d6fb.jpg

G

Edited by bgman
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1