EY UP ! Somewhere in Deepest Devon a 7mm adventure

bgman

• RMweb Premium
On 29/02/2020 at 20:53, bgman said:

Oh! I do like to be beside the seaside

Oh! I do like to be beside the sea......

Join in whenever you're ready chaps :crazy_mini:

Other things have been happening today though, its Turnout Central but in a larger scale more of which possibly, maybe later elsewhere.

IMG_1516.jpeg.9d0c8bc7317670411937157545b23469.jpeg

Just coming down from the Butanone experience.......

Yours

Spliffy 

Cheaper than Crack.

P

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• bgman changed the title to EY UP ! Somewhere up North - beyond Exeter ( With an occasional smattering of my 7mm bits and pieces )
34 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Love the signal!

Hi Tech stuff eh !

It's a mock-uperry for the 7mm stuff of which there may be ? a Blog at some point in the future.

33 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

And for Dutch members 

Beside the seaside

The Zuider Zee

If you persist with comments like that it'll just Clog up the thread ! :D

G

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, Calidore said:

That’s a pretty spectacular tree - I love the roots!

Adam

Thank you Adam, very much appreciated.

G

54 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

That looks superb Grahame. And I missed the tree! I'm trying to work out how tall it is, must need a whole box if its own.

Hi Mikkel,

Thank you, more casting and filling gaps but getting there.

The tree is approximately 9'' high and will probably be placed towards the back of the proposed 7mm layout in an effort to get some forced perspective eventually. Not too much to do just everything else ! :lol: In other words....loads and loads.

Take care and I hope you and the family keep safe and well.

G

• Like 5

On 13/03/2020 at 00:09, bgman said:

Work commenced today in an attempt to bridge a gap.....got a bit plastered ! 

fullsizeoutput_21a4.jpeg.f8d884106b2609c4f1abf900ba97cae9.jpeg

G

Very nice. I'm struck by how effective the signal looks, and how with families stuck inside, could, using this technique build a up something quick and cheap.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, d&h said:

Very nice. I'm struck by how effective the signal looks, and how with families stuck inside, could, using this technique build a up something quick and cheap.

Thank you d&h, its merely my method of mocking up items to see how effective they would be prior to making them, as many others may well do. Saves good modelling time and materials before committing to it.

Here it is in all its glory ! :)

Front 

IMG_1625.jpeg.1fd7c765689d50eba325485823afba8d.jpeg

And rear

IMG_1626.jpeg.2a4a6a6d3b898d2e17cfc3c282426d07.jpeg

Just an enlarged printed cut out stuck onto a piece of balsa nothing special.

G

• Like 10

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

Very nice indeed. 

Rob. 

Thanks Rob much appreciated, it has however left a small amount of white powder during the scribing process which looks rather dubious ! :O

G

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, bgman said:

Thanks Rob much appreciated, it has however left a small amount of white powder during the scribing process which looks rather dubious ! :O

G

I think as long as you don't inhale you are fine......so said a former president

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 3

Well, following on from the stone over bridge build and assessing whether I'm happy with it something didn't sit easy with me, don't know what, but when something niggles ..... you know what I mean don't you ? 

I therefore decided to make a start on another one, this time using SE Finecast brick sheet on 5mm foam board ( in the same vein as the plaster one ). Using foam board gives a relatively stable but light core and certainly lighter than the plaster casting.

IMG_1773.jpeg.c6309b7945b8030b77959b9658cda767.jpeg

I feel happier so far making the replacement for several reasons, one being there is a whole lot less mess to deal with and it's proving to be a better / lighter construction.

More anon.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Now I understand why your cupboard is so full!

Not as much as it used to be !

fullsizeoutput_21b8.jpeg.ea0e32d30b0a469baea63201a3c9aa98.jpeg

Slow but steady progress today, front and rear elevations, road base and internal walls now glued together, wing wall formers temporarily place for affect. Much happier with this one.

G

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, bgman said:

Not as much as it used to be !

fullsizeoutput_21b8.jpeg.ea0e32d30b0a469baea63201a3c9aa98.jpeg

Slow but steady progress today, front and rear elevations, road base and internal walls now glued together, wing wall formers temporarily place for affect. Much happier with this one.

G

Grahame, I didn't mention it first time round as I hadn't noticed until it was too late, but this time it would be worth getting the tops of the wing walls horizontal. The sloping capping stones didn't look right.

16 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Grahame, I didn't mention it first time round as I hadn't noticed until it was too late, but this time it would be worth getting the tops of the wing walls horizontal. The sloping capping stones didn't look right.

Hi John,

That was one of the things that was bugging me along with some other things.

The wing walls which are leaning temporarily against the main walls will be cut at a suitable angle, as you quite rightly point out, like minds eh ?

I also had a look at a reference photograph in my book Bridges for Modellers by L.V.Wood ( very useful ) and it shows a similar bridge to the one I am modelling. It shows a bridge at Wilmcote with the wing wall tops capped with double bullnose capping bricks.

On a practical note I seem to have run out of suitable thickness plasticard sheet which I intended to use to shape the cappings so I might just have to get inventive ? We will see.

Thank you.

G

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Basic build completed......Just add paint ! :dance_mini:

IMG_1811.jpeg.478e95da9eb609f0839e25c0062ebd77.jpeg

IMG_1812.jpeg.a920c8f31e4feec2e5047221407c1dcd.jpeg

Airbrush will be fired up tomorrow hopefully.

Happier with this version now.

G

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3