How high should a exhibition layout be ?

40034_Nick

• RMweb Gold

Basically, what ever height suits you, as the operator.

If you operate from the front, or the rear, if you want to sit or stand for one or two days, you have to consider what's going to be best for your physical wellbeing.

Layout height for viewers are never going to suit everyone, so you'll never get that right, but 2 days of operating leaving you with chronic back pain is best avoided.

Track bed height on mine are approx. 48inches ( approx. 120 cm) which suits me operating from the front sitting on a high stool.

Hope that helps.

• Like 3
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, 40034_Nick said:

Hi All..

How high  should a exhibition layout be ? Cms please.. Thanks

Nick

Get your hard hat! This subject has been raised before and generates a lot of strong feelings.

Looked at from a modelling viewpoint, it may depend on what is being modelled. If the line is running in a cutting, the layout will have to be low down or nobody will see the trains. But if on an embankment or running along a hillside, you can go much higher.

Scale also has an impact. N certainly works better visually high up.

Also, what sort of a view blocker (if any) are you using for where trains disappear into your fiddleyard (if any). If you are using a well-placed building rather than the usual bridge or tunnel, you will need the layout high to make the illusion work.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Other things to consider are:

audience - if primarily children then lower rather than higher

If you have a proscenium arch or lighting pelmet, the maximum height you are prepared to make this, may influence the height of the track.  (so if your lighting pelmet is a maximum 2m high due to the timber being used, a 1.5m high track height may be too high.)

Ultimately though Stubby has it in one. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Andy Hayter said:

Other things to consider are:

audience - if primarily children then lower rather than higher

If you have a proscenium arch or lighting pelmet, the maximum height you are prepared to make this, may influence the height of the track.  (so if your lighting pelmet is a maximum 2m high due to the timber being used, a 1.5m high track height may be too high.)

Ultimately though Stubby has it in one. 

I remember at a show years ago, I think at the Dockyard in Chatham, they had small steps for children to carry around (I think there was a returnable deposit), but it mean small children could have as decent view of any of the layouts.

jh

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Basically, what ever height suits you, as the operator.

100 % - end of discussion as far as I'm concerned.

As mentioned kids can buy / hire / make simple steps to stand on and tall people can bend down - but both of these cases are doing it for a few minutes, operating can be 10 hours a day.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• AY Mod locked this topic