Bachmann Class 20 DRS

Eden Road TMD

6 minutes ago, KDG said:

Am I remembering incorrectly or did I read somewhere that the wipac lights on the bonnet end of these new class 20's are cosmetic i.e. non functioning?

Im sure I saw that they do have working lighting I think I saw the light on the outer edge of the cluster was non functional

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Im sure I saw that they do have working lighting I think I saw the light on the outer edge of the cluster was non functional

Ah ok, so cosmetic marker lights...

Well I never! I’ve been looking for an earlier thread on the 20/3s and can’t find one. Perhaps it’s just me but I thought there would be enough interest to have created one. The latest Bachmann Times hasn’t reached me yet – it’s probably snowbound somewhere – but there is an article about the prototype and the model in the Winter 2019 issue. At that stage, livery samples had been received.

Some detailed pictures of the EP were included and they look excellent. The bogie springs in particular caught my eye; they look rounded rather than the more usual D shape.

“… the Branchline model has been developed from scratch rather than being a modification of our existing Class 20/0 model. This approach allows all of the latest technologies to be incorporated into the model including directional and cab lighting …” Switching between day and night mode is included.

Pictures of the illuminated head and tail lights are included but now that meatloaf mentions it, I notice that the marker lights are not lit.

Oh dear!

Hello,

Thanks to those of you for sharing useful information about the 20/3’s. The RRP isn’t too bad and after discounts looks like a pair will be affordable. Not sure yet what to renumber one as and I’ve got one of Bifs sound chips waiting ready too. Ideal traction to go with Accurascales PFA’s.

thanks

Mark

Bachmann why oh why would you leave out operational marker lights???

But you think its important to factory fit a cheap speaker which seems to infect their new tooled models now, I would hazard a guess the pre-fitted speaker will be a pain to remove only to find out there won't any room in the chassis to fit a larger proper one like an EM2 because why would Bachmann think of that???

Also I don't understand why Bachmann will only release only 3 liveries where the majority of the time they travel in pairs in these 3 liveries, why can't they just release 6 Class 20's containing 3 pairs of liveries with individual running numbers?

When you compare this to models like the new Hattons Class 66 and what Accurascale are going to be delivering in their new Class 37's, Class 55's & Class 92's this model just seems 'almost there' after such a long wait for a re-tool.

Unless I am missing the finer details of this new Class 20 then Bachmann or anyone else can happily prove me wrong.

Edited by classy52
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
On 10/02/2020 at 23:51, KDG said:

Ah ok, so cosmetic marker lights...

wont affect sales, its a choice between Bachmann 20/3 or DIY or DWO.

6 hours ago, classy52 said:

Also I don't understand why Bachmann will only release only 3 liveries where the majority of the time they travel in pairs in these 3 liveries, why can't they just release 6 Class 20's containing 3 pairs of liveries with individual running numbers?

wont affect sales, its a choice between Bachmann 20/3 or DIY or DWO.

• Funny 1

8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Harry will have you for that ! - i’m sure he knows where to find you ;-)

I can hold my own with Harry, I was there when the evil empire started lol

Edited by 25901
  • Funny 1

On ‎20‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 07:56, 25901 said:

If your doing a RHTT train you can have one DRS 20 on the front and a failed HNRC one on the rear like he real thing lol

Or if using the RHTT just buy 2 DRS 20's of the same model, once you make them look prototypical you can't tell what number each is

• Funny 3

8 hours ago, Ed-farms said:

Or if using the RHTT just buy 2 DRS 20's of the same model, once you make them look prototypical you can't tell what number each is

Your not telling me they get dirty, as I look over Holgate at all the nice clean brown water tanks lol

Bachmann had the sample of the 20/3 in the cabinets over the weekend at Model Rail Scotland. No photos but it does look a very nicely tooled bodyshell. The end details and extra tanks all look right to me so it is definitely my most wanted item from Bachmann this year. 

Cheers

Mark

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Can't remember where I read it, but I definitely have, might have been the Bachmann Times. The non working marker lights were too complex/hard to fit due to the design of the body/chassis/circuit board. Think it might have been where they are to close to the edge of the body but I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys

Sorry about the high jacking of this thread but I've just ordered the whiskey galore train set I couldn't fined any reviews of it has anyone got the set and are you happy with it and most important how goods the sound

thanks

alan