Bachmann Class 20 DRS

Eden Road TMD

On 07/07/2020 at 19:45, adb968008 said:

I remember when D8110 was preserved, indeed wasnt it one of the first preserved ? - such is the shallow world of modern image preservation

20110 was indeed one of the first Class 20s entering the preservation world, ultimately ending up at Buckfastleigh under the care of the South Devon Diesel Traction (SDDT) along with the rather attractive Railfreight Grey 20118 "Saltburn By The Sea". Of the SDDT fleet, 118 was the first to leave South Devon sometime around 2011, having been exchanged with Harry Needle Railroad Co's former North York Moors resident 25191. Three years later in 2014, another loco exchange took place with HNRC leading to 110 being exchanged for 37275.

Of course 37275 has also found itself since being exchanged, this time for the Paignton & Dartmouth's 25185. 

A further update to my post, as if a certain someone had been reading it this morning. 20110 was started up today in HNRC's Worksop workshop. Hopefully this will be a positive sign for the 20! 

Edited by surfsup
News of 20110
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 05/07/2020 at 23:00, TomScrut said:

TBH I am on the fence. I think the only thing I'd use them for is my RHTT.

OTOH I think they are cool.

Nuclear workings... especially as Accurascales Just rereleased the pfa wagons.

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, D1051 said:

Very nice.

one aspect caught my eye in January was the “EE” logo embossed in a Metal panel above the drivers desk on both 20302 and 20305.. thats got to be original 60+ year old material. I don't know if Bachmanns gone to that detail in the cab, but mine will.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Not anymore though?

Most recent picture I've found was late 2015..

thats.. only yesterday, in my book.

;-)

I remember being puzzled looking at 20050 in Doncaster Works, in BR blue, being told it was preserved... thinking why is a class 20 being withdrawn at all... there was withdrawn Deltic awaiting scrap in front of it at the time.

Preservation, Service and Scrap has been intertwined within the class 20 fleet for over 40 years, with class members oscilating between those status’s several times... I wouldnt say any of them are “safe” when preserved.. merely suspended animation... last winter a redstripe Railfreight grey pair were in regular revenue freight service.

even in January..the last DRS 20 railtour indicated, that it might not be the last time we see them...

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

On 09/07/2020 at 20:05, TomScrut said:

The thing is with 20s, a bit like the 37s is that there isn't enough work for locos that size/power to justify a brand new type yet the work does exist so they hang on

there has also been route restrictions that were issues that kept them but some of these have now been fixed. So expect to see less of them in the future. 

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

there has also been route restrictions that were issues that kept them but some of these have now been fixed. So expect to see less of them in the future. 

At 60 years its not as if they've not had there monies worth out of them.

Though for RHTT, it would feel too me to be a more appropriate use than a pair of class 66s.

3 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

At 60 years its not as if they've not had there monies worth out of them.

Watch this space, the 2 from Bury are now at Worksop with one of them now up and running. Top and tailing 20s will be around for a bit longer but there maybe a short break at moment but note Harry is fixing up non mainline 20s which can only lead towards one certain big contract coming up.

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, 25901 said:

Watch this space, the 2 from Bury are now at Worksop with one of them now up and running. Top and tailing 20s will be around for a bit longer but there maybe a short break at moment but note Harry is fixing up non mainline 20s which can only lead towards one certain big contract coming up.

Any class 14’s too ? Perhaps 142’s as pway trolleys... high speed testing perhaps ?

:-)

• RMweb Premium

Am I right in thinking that the Bachmann model represents 20306 upwards?

A couple of obvious differences for the earlier locos being the placement of the NRN pod (towards the bonnet end of the cab roof) and lack of upper headlight on the cab end.

Bogies have been swapped about over the years - I think there are three types on 20s.

Plain equalising beam, fluted/non-drilled beam and fluted/drilled beam.

All three types are visible in this pic and 306 is wearing two of them.

20306 + 20314 Barton Hill

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...

Pre ordered my two (one of each) from Rails yesterday.  looked at a few different places all with similar prices but a lot of different arrival times.  between November 2020 to December 2021. Bachmann website shows Jan/Feb 21.

Confused Much?

Looking forward to these little beauties. only problem  now is my 6 year old wants a pair to! time to break out the old Lima models for conversion methinks.

Cheers Trailrage

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, TRAILRAGE said:

Pre ordered my two (one of each) from Rails yesterday.  looked at a few different places all with similar prices but a lot of different arrival times.  between November 2020 to December 2021. Bachmann website shows Jan/Feb 21.

Confused Much?

Looking forward to these little beauties. only problem  now is my 6 year old wants a pair to! time to break out the old Lima models for conversion methinks.

Cheers Trailrage

Delivery is January/February 2021 now, after it has slipped back a few times and months. I have ordered four of the Compass 20312 models to renumber. I have wanted these models for years so I really wanted two pairs of them. I honestly can't wait for them to arrive. Have you bought DRS Blue 20306 and Compass 20312? What are you planning on running with them? I have some FNAs, PFAs, JNAs and RHTT wagons for them to haul. The Lima models would be good for conversion. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

Yeah they really are. I'd made a couple of Genesis kits and one S Kits version but was never really happy with them. Only have the Bachman Models now I'll resurrect the S Kits one for my little man when I can get some more Bogies for it. 

Cheers Trailrage 

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, TRAILRAGE said:

Yeah they really are. I'd made a couple of Genesis kits and one S Kits version but was never really happy with them. Only have the Bachman Models now I'll resurrect the S Kits one for my little man when I can get some more Bogies for it. 

Cheers Trailrage 

I've never had any of the kits but I suppose they are ok for additional wagons to create a lengthier rake or maybe to create several rakes etc. If you have a thread for a layout it would be good to see the DRS Blue and Compass 20/3s together with the FNAs. I was tempted with the DRS Blue version too, but buying one would have lead to buying two and I couldn't afford anymore so I just opted for two pairs of the Compass 20/3s. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, newbryford said:

Appleby FNAs were pretty good for their day (better that Genesis or S Kits).

I'm waiting for the newer WH Davis FNAs to be announced..............  :derisive:

Hopefully it won't be too long before these are announced Mick. I will have a few DRS 37s waiting...

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

1 hour ago, DRS Crewe On A Mission said:

Bachmann FNAs are excellent aren't they.

Would be good if they did some FNA-Ds too!

54 minutes ago, newbryford said:

I'm waiting for the newer WH Davis FNAs to be announced..............  :derisive:

Hahahaha you beat me to it!

I fancy one of these 20s but I really aren't sure what I'd do with it. Or them since I'd probably have to have two. HNRC for RHTT perhaps?

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Would be good if they did some FNA-Ds too!

Hahahaha you beat me to it!

I fancy one of these 20s but I really aren't sure what I'd do with it. Or them since I'd probably have to have two. HNRC for RHTT perhaps?

Is that what the new WH Davies built ones are classified as on TOPS? Thanks for that, I wasn't aware. I was debating buying one pair of the Compass 20/3s and a pair of the HNRC Orange 20/3s, but I opted for four of the latter, just because the 20/3s mostly run in pairs, and I felt as though I would use two pairs of DRS 20/3s more than one pair of DRS 20/3s and another pair of HNRC 20/3s. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

I have the Blue Flask Wagon. Didn't carry that Livery for very long if I remember and was the only one . Lucky to get one as I was a member of the Bachmann Collectors Club at the time. Never saw the real thing though. looked really smart,

Just remembered I have a pack of 4 DC Kits PFA to build as well if I can find the dam things!

I ummed and Arred over the HNRC one as I was lucky enough to see 20311 & 20314  along with 20118 & 20132 at Tilehurst with my little boy (when I was Furloughed for 5 months very difficult to keep a 6 year old mind occupied for 6 months) when it was doing Scap stock moves with GW MK3 coaches.

I have an old non working Wrenn 20 that I have started modifying to fit a Lima 20 Chassis  so Might do the same conversion and make a pair for him to use. He already has all my Lima Models so sure I may be able to spare one. May even get a couple of the newer Hornby 33 models to repaint DRS for him.

Cheers Trailrage

Edited by TRAILRAGE

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, TRAILRAGE said:

I have the Blue Flask Wagon. Didn't carry that Livery for very long if I remember and was the only one . Lucky to get one as I was a member of the Bachmann Collectors Club at the time. Never saw the real thing though. looked really smart,

Just remembered I have a pack of 4 DC Kits PFA to build as well if I can find the dam things!

I ummed and Arred over the HNRC one as I was lucky enough to see 20311 & 20314  along with 20118 & 20132 at Tilehurst with my little boy (when I was Furloughed for 5 months very difficult to keep a 6 year old mind occupied for 6 months) when it was doing Scap stock moves with GW MK3 coaches.

I have an old non working Wrenn 20 that I have started modifying to fit a Lima 20 Chassis  so Might do the same conversion and make a pair for him to use. He already has all my Lima Models so sure I may be able to spare one. May even get a couple of the newer Hornby 33 models to repaint DRS for him.

Cheers Trailrage

You were fortunate to get the blue FNA. I wasn't a member of the Bachmann CC at the time, so i missed out, but not to worry. I have some of the Accurascale PFA wagons and they are excellent. I have wanted some of the nuclear waste versions hauled by DRS traction for a while, so I was pleased when they announced them. 

Glad you got to see the scrap MK3 trains hauled by the HNRC 20/3s. I was going to buy one or two of these too but I couldn't afford six 20/3s so I opted for two pairs of Compass 20/3s. I thought I could buy 20314 in future, because I am sure that Bachmann will produce it to go with 20311. 

Yes repainting some 33s in DRS Blue is an excellent idea. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny. 

• Thanks 1