Bachmann Class 20 DRS

Eden Road TMD

WOW that looks good. Thanks for the pics Andy.  After having two weeks unpaid Sick leave this month and an MOT to sort in Jan, I'm hoping they'll be here in Feb and so's my Wallet!!!!

Cheers Trailrage

• 4 weeks later...

Looks great in the mag too.  The internals are interesting too as they would suggest a different internal architecture to what i am familiar with with existing Bach diesels - the way the circuit board is set out with plugs etc instead of soldered tabs is a change and it looks somehow more modular than before.  This setup may have been seen in other models but i've not seen before.  Looks like the circuit board is lower down in the loco to allow more space - presumably they have found other places to put the weight to ensure traction?

• RMweb Gold

There’s a very positive review in the February 2021 issue of Rail Express, my sub copy arrived this morning.

To quote...”With the right decoder fitted and function mapping, the cab lights and individual forward and reverse running lights can be separately controlled including night and day running light positions.”

and

”High quality models of any small class of locomotive with locomotive-specific detailing is always pleasing to see, especially with the running light arrangement correctly modelled and worked into the electronics instead of the usual forward and reverse control of headlights.”

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Matt said:

Looks great in the mag too.  The internals are interesting too as they would suggest a different internal architecture to what i am familiar with with existing Bach diesels - the way the circuit board is set out with plugs etc instead of soldered tabs is a change and it looks somehow more modular than before.  This setup may have been seen in other models but i've not seen before.  Looks like the circuit board is lower down in the loco to allow more space - presumably they have found other places to put the weight to ensure traction?

It’s the same as the class 24.

• RMweb Gold

I haven’t ordered these as I did a Bachmann conversion a good 10 years ago that I’m more than happy with but I think once I see them in the flesh I may well partake having seen Andy’s pics and the reviews in Hornby mag and rail express, might go for the harry needle livery though despite me having driven them at DRS 

me arriving into Chester pulling the unique blue flask wagon 

FE102639-7F35-49EB-A93E-68A6B3C7A2A7.jpeg.569d31e12b809790a4e5b11f8d1e6ddc.jpeg

• Like 8

Well credit to Bachmann, they appear to have pulled all the stops for this rather niche model, and I'm rather excited to get my order in as and when my wallet can be bothered to do something.

Currently got two conversion jobs myself that I did years ago (when I was a mere ), so whether or not they end up (part) staying is another question.

20 hours ago, Nick G said:

No working marker lights then, just headlight and high level light?

I mentioned this a few pages back. It has been designed without working marker lights. Bachmann said there wasnt enough room to fit them.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/01/2021 at 15:01, KDG said:

I mentioned this a few pages back. It has been designed without working marker lights. Bachmann said there wasnt enough room to fit them.

The cover of the mag shows them working on markers, some suggest on DC markers dont work only on DCC oddly.

To update the marker lighting postings, Bachmann have officially stated:

None of the four outer marker lights (two at each end) are operable whether used on analogue or DCC due to manufacturing constraints.

Now the Hornby mag cover clearly shows at least one marker working so either Bachmann are wrong (!) or Hornby mag modified their loco/the picture! We do know Hornby Mag do a lot of doctoring of their mag images so i go with this?

Edited by sanspareil
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, sanspareil said:

To update the marker lighting postings, Bachmann have officially stated:

The four outer marker lights (two at each end) are not operable.

Now the Hornby mag cover clearly shows at least one marker working so either Bachmann are wrong (!) or Hornby mag modified their loco/the picture!

Thank you for gaining and sharing this information with us. 

I have been wondering about this for a few days now since looking at this thread and the image on the front of the magazine as you mention. If the loco on the cover of the magazine has been modified and it isn't 'straight out of the box' then they should really state this in the magazine and online, as they have shared a running video of the loco too. Otherwise this creates confusion and people are unsure on what features the models have, especially those who have already pre-ordered them alike myself. If the outer lights don't work, I will be a bit disappointed, but for £140 their are many other lighting features as listed in the magazine and a wealth of detail and fitted parts, so I am still really excited and looking forward to receiving the models that I have pre-ordered. Put it this way, their is quite a lot of value with this model for £140, and it will likely be the first and last time we see them available at such a low price. I imagine that when further batch/es are produced in the coming years they will increase in price. 

Kind Regards, 

Danny.  

• Like 1