Bachmann Class 20 DRS

Eden Road TMD

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Oh thats not too bad, several models have issues around lights.. Hattons 66, 156 they arent perfect when it comes to lights.

But the issue is that you don't get the RSSB triangle of lights. Loco would be a failure and not allowed to run...

Roy

• RMweb Gold
On 30/01/2021 at 14:06, Roy Langridge said:

But the issue is that you don't get the RSSB triangle of lights. Loco would be a failure and not allowed to run...

Roy

so this one is a failure ?

On 30/01/2021 at 01:44, adb968008 said:

Mine are never going to run nose first, so those lights dont matter.

indeed my cunning plan is to remove some of the lights !

;-)

well in reality 1 of them was, hence there was only two of em on the day, but it was nothing to do with lights.

;-)

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

I know, because it left York, with the lights looking like this...

:-) 

44F58CB9-9797-4997-B652-7CBCC4E241A5.jpeg.ce0dde7432c79835c2f27d02732c4b6a.jpeg

Should not run like that. Where the three lights are fitted, RSSB standards dictate that:

"Day time running (1 or 2 ‘Full beam’ head lamps, with a total of 3 white front end lights in a triangle arrangement as defined in the OPE TSI, the remainder being marker lamps)."

My highlight.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Class 20/3 is a sub model

This model is supposedly new from the ground up. I'm not talking sub classes, I am talking tooling variations vs tooling specifically based on one thing.

In the case of the bug eye H66s, they screwed up. In the case of the RT156, it was going to have to be a tooling mod to do a particular light cluster correctly. Again, not all RT156s have this issue.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Agree 2

I’ve been deliberating for weeks over DRS 37’s or DRS 20’s as I cannot justify or afford multiples of both. Having just spent a lot of time and effort getting a Hatton’s 66 to run reliably with the correct lighting configuration I will now be buying a couple of accurate DRS 37’s. These 20’s could have been definitive models for just a little bit more effort and an acceptable higher cost.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Martin_R said:

I’ve been deliberating for weeks over DRS 37’s or DRS 20’s as I cannot justify or afford multiples of both. Having just spent a lot of time and effort getting a Hatton’s 66 to run reliably with the correct lighting configuration I will now be buying a couple of accurate DRS 37’s. These 20’s could have been definitive models for just a little bit more effort and an acceptable higher cost.

I’ve gone for one DRS 37 and one 20. Best of both worlds and a prototypical combination, although more so in the earlier DRS days.

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Should not run like that. Where the three lights are fitted, RSSB standards dictate that:

"Day time running (1 or 2 ‘Full beam’ head lamps, with a total of 3 white front end lights in a triangle arrangement as defined in the OPE TSI, the remainder being marker lamps)."

My highlight.

Roy

they must have been applying rule 1.

:D

Edited by adb968008
  • Funny 2

6 hours ago, Iskra said:

I’ve gone for one DRS 37 and one 20. Best of both worlds and a prototypical combination, although more so in the earlier DRS days.

This is what I'm also likely to do, and if the 20 is tucked inside I won't even need to worry about the lights!

37611 & 20310 at Southampton up yard

Edited by SouthernMafia
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I can't understand their reasoning for the lack of marker lights at the cab end. They state it is to "provide a product with consistant spec". In other word because they are unable to put them in the nose, they are going to make the cab end look bad too! It makes no sense especially as the locos usually run cab end first anyway.

At £164.95 rrp it is at a similar price point to the larger and (by the looks of it) far superior Accurascale class 37 at  £169.99 rrp. The 37 will come with a whole suite of lighting capabilities including fully functioning headlights, WIPACs, cab lights and even illuminated engine bay and drivers console! There is no excuse for Bachmann to have painted-on marker lights in this day and age especially for a model at such a price.

I hope with the recent disquiet they redesign future models to include (at least) the cab marker lights.

Edited by scottrains29
  • Like 2
  • Agree 5

• Moderators
20 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

painted-on marker lights

They're not painted on, they're just not lit. 

20 hours ago, scottrains29 said:

outrage

Please, get a grip or I'll be going round everyone's layouts issuing fines for inaccuracies, inconsistencies and ineptitude in modelling.  :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

30 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Please, get a grip or I'll be going round everyone's layouts issuing fines for inaccuracies, inconsistencies and ineptitude in modelling.  :biggrin_mini2:

It's OK for me, I'm doing 20303 and sticking it in a siding with no lights on like the prototype lol

Edited by 25901
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Erixtar1992 said:

As i said in my email to Bachmann, if various modellers creating a 20/3 can manage the marker lights, why cant you?

i got no reply....

Haha!

Its in the message via Andy, its OK to say that a few individuals have done it with their own methods and quality, but Bachmann need to ensure what they do is able to be mass produced on a scale of thousands and will work consistently. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

Some retailers are saying these are due out today? Any further news folks as we know some of these dates are often just pie in the sky (especially now with all the port issues at the moment)?

On the more than disappointing lights issue i think we will have to wait for someone to get their hands on one and a) see how we can get in the cab/see how its all hooked up then b) see whats involved to correct the situation.

I guess its possible one of the electronics manufacturers might make a retro fit light kit for the cab end if its an easy mod (there will be demand for sure).  Just a shame on a £165 loco we still have to correct basic omissions.

Edited by sanspareil
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, sanspareil said:

Some retailers are saying these are due out today? Any further news folks as we know some of these dates are often just pie in the sky (especially now with all the port issues at the moment)?

On the more than disappointing lights issue i think we will have to wait for someone to get their hands on one and a) see how we can get in the cab/see how its all hooked up then b) see whats involved to correct the situation.

I guess its possible one of the electronics manufacturers might make a retro fit light kit for the cab end if its an easy mod (there will be demand for sure).  Just a shame on a £165 loco we still have to correct basic omissions.

I've noticed that new things appear on eBay a day or two before the big box shifters get them, so when you see them on eBay that's a pretty good indication they are here.

• Moderators
12 hours ago, Erixtar1992 said:

As i said in my email to Bachmann, if various modellers creating a 20/3 can manage the marker lights, why cant you?

i got no reply....

And what date and time did you send your email in? Be careful, I know the answer.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3