Bachmann Class 20 DRS

Eden Road TMD

16 hours ago, Markn said:

The original DRS livery certainly seem to be popular. Phoned up to pay for mine earlier, and they said out of 16 that came in, there were 2 spares. Picking it up tomorrow, can't wait.

Certainly looks to be proving that the privatisation scene now must be incredibly popular compared to other periods that have long since been the measure of choice. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Certainly looks to be proving that the privatisation scene now must be incredibly popular compared to other periods that have long since been the measure of choice. 

I’ve long thought the late ‘90s-early ‘00s is our equivalent of the past generation’s 1960s BR steam/diesel transition era - that sweet spot when the last great bits of crumbling BR were mingling alongside the first fruits of the exciting and colourful privatised network - a very interesting and diverse few years! 

I’m also finding it increasingly hard to resist a pair of early DRS 20s, I never saw any, nor found any evidence that they strayed far south to Didcot in the late 90s and am kinda hoping they’ll sell out before temptation gets the better of me :lol:

Cheers,

James

• Agree 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

My DRS Early pair arrived today.

E47EA822-9064-4F8E-A252-5A50A4BF62E5.jpeg.31ef18d233b98bc15c4b0d9d1bfdb2c1.jpeg

9BD0AF88-69CD-4026-9EC2-958E5A456674.jpeg.bae7df156290bbfc13d38d03daede2ec.jpeg

Last week I posted about a strange noise exhibited by one of my DRS 20’s when on a Gaugemaster controller. It was odd as one wasnt noisy, when tested against a Gaugemaster, Piko and 9V Battery... but the other was exclusively noisy on a Gaugemaster.

My DRS old style pair today from Kernow gave me exactly the same issue...

1 good, 1 noisy...

I reached out to Gaugemaster, and Bachmann. Gaugemaster called me today and confirmed they are safe with coreless, but were a bit puzzled at the video and were not able to recreate it with a shop stock 20/3 they had.

Following the conversation, and having confirmed its safe for coreless I decided to probe deeper, and ultimately diagnosed it.

Aiui ultimately the issue is with the wave signal.. the 9v is a smooth wave, the Gaugemaster controller has a wave form that enhances motor behaviour (note this is explicitly not Feedback, which is not safe for coreless). The wave causes harmless vibration. Armed with this tidbit, I took the body off and discovered the motor is smaller than the cavity that holds it, and although screwed down.. it vibrates. 

video here

i found this video from @mikesndbs  to be particularly educational in helping me understand... Bachmann unusually did not return my mail from last week.

The solution ultimately is a small piece of folded paper inserted between motor and cavity !

Safe to start renumbering now.

I hope others find this useful.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

I now have one of each, however, I am very tempted to get another of the original and sell on my compass version. Always been a fan of the original livery, and now I have the 33’s I am very torn. I guess I could always just get the third and convert one in to 20301 or 20305, that was the first DRS pair I ever saw. 

15 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Last week I posted about a strange noise exhibited by one of my DRS 20’s when on a Gaugemaster controller. It was odd as one wasnt noisy, when tested against a Gaugemaster, Piko and 9V Battery... but the other was exclusively noisy on a Gaugemaster.

1 good, 1 noisy...

I reached out to Gaugemaster, and Bachmann. Gaugemaster called me today and confirmed they are safe with coreless, but were a bit puzzled at the video and were not able to recreate it with a shop stock 20/3 they had.

Following the conversation, and having confirmed its safe for coreless I decided to probe deeper, and ultimately diagnosed it.

Aiui ultimately the issue is with the wave signal.. the 9v is a smooth wave, the Gaugemaster controller has a wave form that enhances motor behaviour (note this is explicitly not Feedback, which is not safe for coreless). The wave causes harmless vibration. Armed with this tidbit, I took the body off and discovered the motor is smaller than the cavity that holds it, and although screwed down.. it vibrates. 

video here

i found this video from @mikesndbs  to be particularly educational in helping me understand... Bachmann unusually did not return my mail from last week.

The solution ultimately is a small piece of folded paper inserted between motor and cavity !

Good you got to the bottom of this issue. My only thought reading this is is there not a risk the motor heats up and the paper ignite? Would a piece of plastic or brass be a safer option? I know some of my locos do get quite warm in service and would imagine around the motor quite hot?

M

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

15 hours ago, adb968008 said:

video here

Hi adb968008,

That's a helpful video.  I don't know if my model makes a noise or not but the video you put together was first class in my view... assessed what the problem was, determined a solution, tried a 'proof of concept' and then put it in place, all clearly presented.

Regarding the concern about igniting paper - I guess it's possible, though probably not likely.  However, if kapton tape is folded back over itself to build up a tab of the appropriate thickness that should also work and probably be less risk (if there is a concern).  However, I would also imagine that by pushing the paper in, the barrel of the motor contacts the chassis better on the opposite side, allowing better heat transfer to the chassis, keeping the motor slightly cooler.

Either way, glad it got sorted for you and thanks for sharing it!

Ixion.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, adb968008 said:

1 good, 1 noisy...

video here

Thanks for posting this. I had exactly the same issue with my 20306 which arrived this morning.  After a few mins of trial and error with the thickness of the folded paper, it was all sorted and is now an almost silent runner.

20306 10.JPG

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Matt said:

Good you got to the bottom of this issue. My only thought reading this is is there not a risk the motor heats up and the paper ignite? Would a piece of plastic or brass be a safer option? I know some of my locos do get quite warm in service and would imagine around the motor quite hot?

M

The ignition temperature of paper is over 200 degC.

I think the body would melt long before that!

To put "warm" locos into perspective.

Hot to touch is often quoted as 60 Deg C

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Lochnagar said:

Totally random comment but If anyone has a DRS Compass model going spare please drop me a line.. I'm one short of a pair! Sound or non sound. Can't find one for sale. 

guy on Twitter selling a pair

I have bought from him in the past without issue, he works for GWR on the platform 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, Lochnagar said:

Totally random comment but If anyone has a DRS Compass model going spare please drop me a line.. I'm one short of a pair! Sound or non sound. Can't find one for sale. 

Wife says the same about me everyday.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

12 hours ago, Elmeon said:

Just to know, is there anyone who have ordered a DRS compass 20 from KMS Railtech and have received it? I've ordered mine there but still no news about the delivery...

I got a message from them the other day, they are due imminently. 

4 hours ago, Chris56057 said:

Does anyone know what sound chip is fitted to the factory sound releases please? Is it a V5 or one of the Loksound ones that can't be reblown? 

Thanks,

Chris 

Believe it to be a Zimo MX645P22. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, charliepetty said:

The will be on Zimo, but the total price is a more expensive option than this ESU option:

Only if compared to rrp.

Here, for instance, the Bachmann factory fitted sound works out cheaper.

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/70457/35-126SF-WSL-Bachmann-Class-20-3-20311-Harry-Needle-Railroad

or for even less,

https://www.themodelcentre.com/35-125sf

Best regards,

Paul

8 minutes ago, pauliebanger said:

Only if compared to rrp.

Here, for instance, the Bachmann factory fitted sound works out cheaper.

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/70457/35-126SF-WSL-Bachmann-Class-20-3-20311-Harry-Needle-Railroad

or for even less,

https://www.themodelcentre.com/35-125sf

Best regards,

Paul

The price difference seems to be due to Bachmann increasing the rrp of the Harry Needle versions as the dcc ready versions were released, but not the DRS original blue versions, even though the dcc ready versions of both liveries, were released at the same time.