Jump to content

Bachmann Class 20 DRS


Recommended Posts

Just to know, is there anyone who have ordered a DRS compass 20 from KMS Railtech and have received it? I've ordered mine there but still no news about the delivery...

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Elmeon said:

Just to know, is there anyone who have ordered a DRS compass 20 from KMS Railtech and have received it? I've ordered mine there but still no news about the delivery...

I got a message from them the other day, they are due imminently. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know what sound chip is fitted to the factory sound releases please? Is it a V5 or one of the Loksound ones that can't be reblown? 

 

Thanks,

 

Chris 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chris56057 said:

Does anyone know what sound chip is fitted to the factory sound releases please? Is it a V5 or one of the Loksound ones that can't be reblown? 

 

Thanks,

 

Chris 

Believe it to be a Zimo MX645P22. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, charliepetty said:

The will be on Zimo, but the total price is a more expensive option than this ESU option:

 

 

 

Only if compared to rrp.

 

Here, for instance, the Bachmann factory fitted sound works out cheaper.

 

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/70457/35-126SF-WSL-Bachmann-Class-20-3-20311-Harry-Needle-Railroad

 

or for even less,

 

https://www.themodelcentre.com/35-125sf

 

 

Best regards,

 

Paul

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, pauliebanger said:

 

 

 

Only if compared to rrp.

 

Here, for instance, the Bachmann factory fitted sound works out cheaper.

 

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/70457/35-126SF-WSL-Bachmann-Class-20-3-20311-Harry-Needle-Railroad

 

or for even less,

 

https://www.themodelcentre.com/35-125sf

 

 

Best regards,

 

Paul

 

The price difference seems to be due to Bachmann increasing the rrp of the Harry Needle versions as the dcc ready versions were released, but not the DRS original blue versions, even though the dcc ready versions of both liveries, were released at the same time.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked my two DRS 20/3's on Saturday and have to say that Bachman have done a really good job. Just a pity they didn't go the extra mile and fit working marker lights. I've had two sound fitted locos on this occasion. But I would like to ask why do we get swapping directional lights on DCC fitted locos? On the real thing, the lights wouldn't swap around when a loco had to reverse for shunting purposes, so why do decoder programmers always set the lights to reverse when you change direction. And yes before you jump in and say if operated on DC then how would you operate the lights, but this is DCC fitted as such and therefore the opportunity is there for a prototypical set up, so the operator can switch either the front lights on or the rear lights on as necessary when needed to do so.

Edited by Tony Walker
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/04/2021 at 09:28, Tony Walker said:

Picked my two DRS 20/3's on Saturday and have to say that Bachman have done a really good job. Just a pity they didn't go the extra mile and fit working marker lights. I've had two sound fitted locos on this occasion. But I would like to ask why do we get swapping directional lights on DCC fitted locos? On the real thing, the lights wouldn't swap around when a loco had to reverse for shunting purposes, so why do decoder programmers always set the lights to reverse when you change direction. And yes before you jump in and say if operated on DC then how would you operate the lights, but this is DCC fitted as such and therefore the opportunity is there for a prototypical set up, so the operator can switch either the front lights on or the rear lights on as necessary when needed to do so.

 

The standard default for new decoders is that the two outputs called F0f/F0r, or white/yellow, or FL/RL (and there are other notations) depending on which decoder manufacturer/type, operate with the F0 key in forward and reverse directions respectively. In much the same way that the default address is #3

 

Many decoders have the ability to map the outputs so they can be directional or not and/or operate with different F key. And there lies the solution to your question. The relevant CV values will depend upon the make of decoder fitted.

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, newbryford said:

 

The standard default for new decoders is that the two outputs called F0f/F0r, or white/yellow, or FL/RL (and there are other notations) depending on which decoder manufacturer/type, operate with the F0 key in forward and reverse directions respectively. In much the same way that the default address is #3

 

Many decoders have the ability to map the outputs so they can be directional or not and/or operate with different F key. And there lies the solution to your question. The relevant CV values will depend upon the make of decoder fitted.

 

 

 

 

Mick, It wasn't so much a question as a statement. The Hatton's 66 gives full flexibility on lighting and anyone can then adjust CV's to however they want the lights to operate, giving full independence. I have been modifying lights on locos for years now, as I prefer to be able to switch whichever lights I want on. May need wiring mods along the way, but this is my preference. What I was trying to say is, that nowadays both manufacturer and programmer do not make it easy for folk and that they could so much more, especially with sound, set things up so we don't have the reversing light situation we get, which is none prototypical.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tony Walker said:

 

Mick, It wasn't so much a question as a statement. The Hatton's 66 gives full flexibility on lighting and anyone can then adjust CV's to however they want the lights to operate, giving full independence. I have been modifying lights on locos for years now, as I prefer to be able to switch whichever lights I want on. May need wiring mods along the way, but this is my preference. What I was trying to say is, that nowadays both manufacturer and programmer do not make it easy for folk and that they could so much more, especially with sound, set things up so we don't have the reversing light situation we get, which is none prototypical.

 

Tony - I'm with you on the above - but:

Manufacturer and programmer make it very easy for those that simply want directional lights.

And IME - there's a decent enough number that want that simplicity.

As an observation, there are a significant proportion of DCC users that only change the address and nothing else - not even speed and momentum CVs.

A sure way to put folk off, is to make it press F1 for this and F2 for that.

 

What the manufacturers should at least be doing - and some are finally starting to do that - is to wire up lights, other than headlights to other function outputs.

By all means - keep them reversible as a default within the decoder, but they can then be altered by those that wish to.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/04/2021 at 14:39, Hastings Thumper said:

Thanks for posting this. I had exactly the same issue with my 20306 which arrived this morning.  After a few mins of trial and error with the thickness of the folded paper, it was all sorted and is now an almost silent runner.

 

 

20306 10.JPG


The transfer appears to be on the wrong door, checking the proto and stock image.....

9B23FA59-ECDA-4C1D-8F1C-0842C31361B2.jpeg

Edited by martin_l_jones
  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, martin_l_jones said:


The transfer appears to be on the wrong door, checking the proto and stock image.....

 

 

Permission to say oh c$ck

 

Colletts have received their order of Compass sound fitted ones, so rather looking forward to getting that up and running very soon!

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, martin_l_jones said:


The transfer appears to be on the wrong door, checking the proto and stock image.....

9B23FA59-ECDA-4C1D-8F1C-0842C31361B2.jpeg

Just had a look on Flickr at some reference photos and this is indeed correct, the transfer has been placed incorrectly. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, martin_l_jones said:


The transfer appears to be on the wrong door, checking the proto and stock image.....

9B23FA59-ECDA-4C1D-8F1C-0842C31361B2.jpeg

 

What am I missing? Matches this: 20306

 

Doors on 20s (the real one) are easily swapped over.


Roy 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

 

What am I missing? Matches this: 20306

 

Doors on 20s (the real one) are easily swapped over.


Roy 

That photo is of a early livery sample. The production model has the DRS logo on the engine panels, shifted one access panel to the right. The released model has one panel without logo next to the side grill when prototype photos of 20306 and 20307 show the logo as immediately to the right of the bodyside grills on the side with the cab to the left. This only seems to affect the side with the cab to the left. Unfortunately, on the model, you can't swap doors!

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, newbryford said:

 

Tony - I'm with you on the above - but:

Manufacturer and programmer make it very easy for those that simply want directional lights.

And IME - there's a decent enough number that want that simplicity.

As an observation, there are a significant proportion of DCC users that only change the address and nothing else - not even speed and momentum CVs.

A sure way to put folk off, is to make it press F1 for this and F2 for that.

 

What the manufacturers should at least be doing - and some are finally starting to do that - is to wire up lights, other than headlights to other function outputs.

By all means - keep them reversible as a default within the decoder, but they can then be altered by those that wish to.

Mick, I would agree with you on this. Yes maybe it's now down to the manufacturers to make the changes with the wiring, so those of us who want independent switchable lights can just change a few CV's and we are away. And as for Hornby's method of wiring, we definitely need that changing, as that's a real pain to change over.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, rembrow said:

That photo is of a early livery sample. The production model has the DRS logo on the engine panels, shifted one access panel to the right. The released model has one panel without logo next to the side grill when prototype photos of 20306 and 20307 show the logo as immediately to the right of the bodyside grills on the side with the cab to the left. This only seems to affect the side with the cab to the left. Unfortunately, on the model, you can't swap doors!

Understood - thanks.

Roy

Link to post
Share on other sites

This should help, picture of actual model posted earlier is central, the stock image is one door to left next to grills. The image on the link to the prototype matches the stock image.

 

Screenshot_20210422-114128_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210422-114437_Chrome.jpg

Edited by martin_l_jones
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a very quick response from Bachmann. They have advised that they have recently been made aware of the error, that it is not what Bachmann expect and are investigating.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...