Slough Station - London (Eastern) end - Pictures Sought

bigP

Hi Paul,

I may be able to help you. A year or so ago I was researching for a model of the east end of Slough Station.

I abandoned the idea because I did not have sufficient room in 00 for the model so I moved along the line to do a model based on Maidenhead.

I am not sure what I have, but I may have details of sources of information even if I don't have photos myself.

It will be a few days before I can dig out the relevant details, so I will get back to you next weekend. I will PM you once I have gone through my files.

Cheers

Paul Ansell 

On 07/02/2020 at 21:09, bigP said:

Evening all,

I was wondering if any kind RMWebbers might happen to have photographs of Slough Station at the eastern end, that they are able to share?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jason87030/44219322641/

I’m particularly keen to see the old platform 6, the bay that connected to the Up Relief, and the buildings along that lineside.

(the only ones I find have a 165 turbo through the roof :wacko:).

I’ve scoured my usual online haunts, but it seems most people liked to phot off the Western end.  I assume the lure of the Windsor branch and a glimpse of the old goods yard was more appealing - which would seem fair enough.

My period of interest is really late 80s, but really any reference would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Paul.

These were taken much earlier than your time period, in April 1974, but they were taken from the original car park looking towards the station. They are not particularly clear, especially the Western one where I got the shutter speed all wrong; but if you look at them in sequence they may show the style of buildings which bordered that part of the line at the time. 

1855112509_100105D7026SLO5474.jpg.d008da8ba6e7c9e3ba25a6279628e861.jpg

346714941_100100D1059SLO5474.jpg.d78592d7e18a24f0ab9138354f0939e9.jpg

130249322_100104D7026SLO5474.jpg.baf12d634e8a48d3a529987f00e0014e.jpg

• Like 1

Some years ago, I took some pictures of the western end of Slough station, but found the station staff particularly unhelpful. enquiring why I was there and why I wanted or needed to photo the place at all.

I know that my movements were followed on their CCTV system. 

166217_Slough

I've just these online at the mo, but I think I may have some more - I lived just round the corner in the mid 90s so I'd be surprised if I can't find any more!

Above, London end bay and the car park behind.

Below, semi-helpful, this shows the building in the background of the shot above, with the least-damaged of the cars from that accident on an Alleleys trailer. The telegraph post can be matched to the image above.

In November 1994 165102 lost adhesion approaching the London end bay platform at Slough station and arrived at the buffer stops with considerable speed. The first coach and part of the second demolished the gable wall of the station and ended up on the concourse of platform 5. These images were taken over the course of recovery with the unit either being cut free from the canopy or on Alleleys transporters in the street outside! RCTU220296-3 passing Slough on an FIA wagon, sometime in the early-mid 1990s

And last one - looking SE from the bay platform, an MOD box on a multifret travelling on the down main, the up main signal on the left, platform ramp on the right.

Will have a dig and see what else I can find....

• Like 1

Yep, looking at it I suspect i'd shot it because it's a mis-formed 166 (only 2 cars) - which gives more of an angle of view than normal!

I'm wondering if the angle is misleading, and whether the building across the end of the car park is just out of shot to the right which would have meant it felt more closed-in in reality. It didn't "feel" like there was a big open space there.

I tried google imaging "Atari Slough" because I had a feeling that might have been the building that was at the end, but only got pics of the building directly behind the main station, with just a tantilising glimpse of what was at the end of Railway Terrace!
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/mirror/myatari/issues/dec2001/atari_uk.htm

Looked at today's google maps too - wow....I think only the station building and the bus garage date back that far!

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, bigP said:

I’ll be using a lot of modellers license with this project.  I am in effect adding scenery to a test plank for an N gauge layout, but in wondering what to do I thought Slough East would be good.  

It certainly won’t be a faithful replica of the original however.

Yep, it’s certainly all change, hence needing the help.

It’s quite amazing how much change there has been on the ‘London Suburbs’ end of the Western over recent years.  New buildings keep popping up everywhere.

Quite some test plank! What era are you going for? The track layout has changed a lot since the 70s.

A good project for N. It would be a bit big for 00 although I remember that CJ Freezer did prepare a layout plan based on Slough.

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Quite some test plank! What era are you going for? The track layout has changed a lot since the 70s.

A good project for N. It would be a bit big for 00 although I remember that CJ Freezer did prepare a layout plan based on Slough.

Yes, I remember that in the 1970s there were some sidings between the main and relief lines which were used to store DMUs between the peak times. I'm not sure if the sidings had connections to both relief and main lines because it is difficult to tell from the photos I have and, sadly, I didn't really have that much interest at the time. 

I think it would make a great N gauge layout, because of the frequency of services.

I used to catch the Paddington service from platform 6 on a regular basis because it stopped at all stations and was therefore nice and slow for my attempts at seeing the class 08s which were otherwise difficult to pick out in sidings when racing by at 125mph. 

• RMweb Gold

Slough has suffered massive rationalisation and changes over the years.  The 'new' canopy on the Up Relief and East Bay platforms was a result of the Relief Lines Middle Siding being removed which was probably some time in the 1950s - possibly earlier.  The west end middle bay - its site can be easily traced on Tim V's top photo went in the early 1960s as part of the rationalisation for MAS but much at the east end survived the changes then.  That meant that Peters Sidings on the Up side, the East End Sidings (between the Down Relief and the Up Main and the Down Main Siding and Aldin's Siding all remained in situ.  The Down Main Siding and Aldin's Siding were removed c.1967/68 and until then had been used for parcels traffic which was then shifted over to the Up side by extending the former dock siding behind the west end of the Up Relief platform - the area next to Aldin's Sdg was sub sequently used for car parking.  I'm not sure when Peters Sdgs went but that was probaly mid to late 1960s.  As far as I can recall the East end Sdgs were still in use as late as 1970 being used for DMU stabling but they didn't last long after that as there was already a concerted move to get rid of them because of a persistent detection fault on the Up Main end of teh single slip connection from the Down Main.

The building in the background of 'Glorious NSE's view of the bay was the Road Motor Engineer's HQ and had been the original; site of the GWR's Road Motor Engineer's establishment - I don't know when it closed and it might well have transferred to NCL when it was set-up as all road vehicle maintenance went to them at that time.

All a long time ago and even more worrying is that Tim V's middle photo shows a building that I worked in 1966 in the early months of my full time railway employment - and where I was taught how to make a proper brew of tea.  Oddly that building is still there and even more unusually it has returned out of railway use to its original purpose for taxi drivers etc.

Jonny's post refers to the East End sidings which had trailing connections into both the Down Relief and Down Main Lines - both connections surviving MAS in 1963.  At one time there were 3 or 4 DMU sets regularly stabled there overnight.

Edited by The Stationmaster
Addition re Jonny's post
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

All of the images shown certainly bring back memories, some of which I could have done without. However, that's yje way with memories...

steve (Slough born & bred...sadly. On the plus side, I did escape.)

• Like 2

Okay, I've put these on my Smugmug account and linked through rather than attaching them directly - if you're seeing a smaller version of any of these you should be able to click through - res won't be great as they are pics of pics and not proper scans but it might help tho....

Couple more:

Post-accident and a bit of snow!

Shows the back of the P5 signal mounted on the canopy.

Slough_1990s_A

And a couple of longer shots looking East, with a Turbo arriving and a 60 running round a ballast train in P5:

mde mde

I do have a couple more I've found which are post-accident ref the damage, but which might help with how the structures worked, and i'm pretty sure there is another box of pics somewhere I've not found yet...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1