Lyme Regis Branch

Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

I ve been doing a little research, into the Lyme Regis Branch over its last 15 - 20 years of existence. The branch is famous for the retention of the 3 Adams Radial tanks due to its lightly laid nature, with the tanks spreading their weight over 5 axle as opposed to the usual 3 on 0-6-0 locos.  The tanks were only retired n 1960/61 after the branch was relaid. I note that in 1953 there was an RTCS tour over the branch, which used a Terrier tank to assist a single Radial tank, does anyone know of any other locos around this time were alternative traction was used? I know that a 14xx 0-4-2 tank was tried in the early 50s but crews did not take to them.

My other question is, the branch was worked as a mixed train branch. I m having great difficulty in finding pictures of the type of brake van used on the mixed trains. I suspect it could have been a former "Road Van"LSWR van, but would love to know!

Finally could anyone recommend a definitive book covering the branch please?

Cheers

Bob C

Edited by Blobrick

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Blobrick said:

I ve been doing a little research, into the Lyme Regis Branch over its last 15 - 20 years of existence. The branch is famous for the retention of the 3 Adams Radial tanks due to its lightly laid nature, with the tanks spreading their weight over 5 axle as opposed to the usual 3 on 0-6-0 locos.  The tanks were only retired n 1960/61 after the branch was relaid. I note that in 1953 there was an RTCS tour over the branch, which used a Terrier tank to assist a single Radial tank, does anyone know of any other locos around this time were alternative traction was used? I know that a 14xx 0-4-2 tank was tried in the early 50s but crews did not take to them.

My other question is, the branch was worked as a mixed train branch. I m having great difficulty in finding pictures of the type of brake van used on the mixed trains. I suspect it could have been a former "Road Van"LSWR van, but would love to know!

Finally could anyone recommend a definitive book covering the branch please?

Cheers

Bob C

The 14xx T's were tried in the late 50s IIRC and were poor performers. Hardly stayed any time at all. Ivatt Tanks finished the steam era, then a bog cart for a while, however the Station was a long way up the hill after a long day at the beach and buses were more convenient sadly. I've got some info that could be useful in my selection of books, as I model Seaton Junction just down the road. That DVD would be a good purchase I suspect; the Seaton Junction/Branch one is great.

Phil

• Thanks 1

The most definitive book on the branch is probably From Devon to Dorset: the Story of the Lyme Regis Branch by George Reeves - Irwell Press

George lists the following strangers on the branch in BR days prior to the Ivatts replacing the Radials: 

June 1953 - Terrier, test run and RCTS special

May 1958 - 3-coach Metro Cammell DMU, rail tour

November 1958 - 14xx 1462. Lost time badly and damaged track on test runs so returned to WR after a few days. 

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, dpgibbons said:

The most definitive book on the branch is probably From Devon to Dorset: the Story of the Lyme Regis Branch by George Reeves - Irwell Press

George lists the following strangers on the branch in BR days prior to the Ivatts replacing the Radials: 

November 1958 - 14xx 1462. Lost time badly and damaged track on test runs so returned to WR after a few days. 

Hi there

Thanks for the info, I was not aware of A Metro Cam unit being used on a rail tour, so thats on to add to the list.

Interesting info re the Auto tank, I had read somewhere that there had been issues with it, but not that it had damaged the track work!

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply

Bob C

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

The 14xx T's were tried in the late 50s IIRC and were poor performers. Hardly stayed any time at all. Ivatt Tanks finished the steam era, then a bog cart for a while, however the Station was a long way up the hill after a long day at the beach and buses were more convenient sadly. I've got some info that could be useful in my selection of books, as I model Seaton Junction just down the road. That DVD would be a good purchase I suspect; the Seaton Junction/Branch one is great.

Phil

Hi Phil

Long time no speak! Hope all is well ?  Thanks for the insight, I like the idea of the DVD, l ll take a peek later

Bob C

• Friendly/supportive 1

For the last period of the branch, it was operated by class 122 single car (Bubble car) diesel units generally. I suspect this was after the line was transferred to the Western Region from the Southern. 

As with some services on the withered arm (Bude, for instance) and other branches like Seaton, the WR allocated bubble cars were put to use. 

The units involved could have been 55000/1/11/14-17. The photos I've seen never quote the unit numbers, annoyingly!! 

After the closure of all these ex southern lines, the WR had a surplus of stock - some of the bubble cars moved progressively to ScR after the beginning of 1967 - a couple were put to use on Yeovil shuttles, replacing railbuses for a while (some 122s were retained on WR into the 70s, eg 55016 and 18). Railbuses and 55000 to Scotland early 67, after Padstow/Bodmin closures.

The main WR DMU transfer was the early second batch class 116 to ScR (late 66). 

Edited by MidlandRed
Deleted 55013 - back to WR from TS 1967 - too late for Lyme Regis
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The move of the bubble cars to Scotland is looked at in this thread :

The Nov.1969 RO has 55000/11/13 still prefixed 'W' (and by that time 55013 had even been converted to a parcels car!)

Edited by keefer

• RMweb Gold

A 14xx made a reappearance on the line on at least one occasion after the branch was relaid—no problems were encountered this time. There's photographic evidence of a 64xx on the Seaton branch (IIRC, the same one that Bachmann produced in BR green livery in the first batch) but no evidence of its use elsewhere.

4 hours ago, keefer said:

The move of the bubble cars to Scotland is looked at in this thread :

The Nov.1969 RO has 55000/11/13 still prefixed 'W' (and by that time 55013 had even been converted to a parcels car!)

http://www.scot-rail.co.uk/page/Class+122

This article also has good info on class 122 in Scotland. However 55002, 5 and 7 were released from Tyseley (LMR), not the WR as stated. 

The units used on the Lyme Regis branch would have been green - probably yellow panel. A photo is shown here. It looks recently repainted. 

https://rcts.zenfolio.com/diesel/br/dmu-1xx/122/ha0fc3783

Edited by MidlandRed

I seem to remember the last two 14XX were sent to Exmouth Junction for Lyme Regis in around mid 1964 to cover a shortage of DMUs, obviously someone with a short memory. Otherwise it was Adams Radials, with modified suspension, possibly increased bogie swing, followed by Ivatt type 2   2-6-2Ts after some "Realignment"  the cost of which probably pushed the branch into the red anyway.   Why 14XX were sent instead of 45XX is a bit of a mystery unless they wanted auto fitted locos.    Prevoiousy the 14XX had been retained for the Prestiegne branch where ever that is.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, DavidCBroad said:

I seem to remember the last two 14XX were sent to Exmouth Junction for Lyme Regis in around mid 1964 to cover a shortage of DMUs, obviously someone with a short memory. Otherwise it was Adams Radials, with modified suspension, possibly increased bogie swing, followed by Ivatt type 2   2-6-2Ts after some "Realignment"  the cost of which probably pushed the branch into the red anyway.   Why 14XX were sent instead of 45XX is a bit of a mystery unless they wanted auto fitted locos.    Prevoiousy the 14XX had been retained for the Prestiegne branch where ever that is.

The two 14xx, 1442 and 1450, were for Auto-train use on the Seaton branch (on which I rode behind, and in front of, both), not the Lyme Regis. The DMU shortage was covered on the latter line by the return of Ivatt 2-6-2T's, and possibly once or twice by a 84xxx Standard if 72A/83D could persuade any of the knackered cast-offs foisted on them to get that far! IIRC all this took place in March 1965 rather than mid-1964. It seems to have been arranged with some haste and barely lasted a month, so passing out a 45xx, even if any were still available and serviceable in the spring of 1965, wouldn't have been practical.

The 14xx tested in 1958 (1462) was an utter flop but a post on here has stated a further test was carried out after the track improvements made to permit the use of the LMS tanks. That's a new one on me, and I'd like to know more. However, AFAIK, the class was not cleared to work the line. From some paperwork I saw years ago, the Ivatts (63t spread over 5 axles) were very much on the limit for axle loading even with the improved track and I'd think that would also be so with the 14xx (41t 6cwt over three).

What really pushed all the ex-SR branches "into the red" was a revised "accounting" system, brought in after the WR takeover, that appears specifically designed to facilitate closures. Rather than all the revenue taken at Lyme Regis appearing in that station's accounts, that (for example) from a ticket sold from Lyme Regis to Waterloo would be split as follows: Lyme Regis-Axminster would be credited to Lyme Regis, and the Axminster-Waterloo segment apportioned between SR and WR (I know not how, but I don't think that even Axminster benefited). The main line, at that time, had a regional border at Sherborne. 

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

IIRC one of the enthusiast societies ran a special over the branch with two Ivatts, but the train was operated in top and tail mode because it wasn't allowed to double head them. There is some archive cine somewhere in my library but I can't remember where! :blink:  

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

IIRC one of the enthusiast societies ran a special over the branch with two Ivatts, but the train was operated in top and tail mode because it wasn't allowed to double head them. There is some archive cine somewhere in my library but I can't remember where! :blink:  

I think the reason for that was because, by the time it took place, the box and run-round facilities at Lyme Regis had been taken out of use, DMU operation having resumed.

John

• RMweb Premium
On 08/02/2020 at 10:51, dpgibbons said:

Thank you for the guidance as to a definitive book to search for, l very much appreciate your suggestion.

Bob C

Another book which might be useful is South West Railwayman by Donald King (published by Allen & Unwin)  - King was a class 4 signalman at Lyme from 1957.  The book contains photos of Radial tanks, Ivatt 2MT tanks, 14xx on trial, and class 122 single railcar.  Also shown from early 1900's are Terrier and O2 tanks.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 08/02/2020 at 15:17, D9020 Nimbus said:

A 14xx made a reappearance on the line on at least one occasion after the branch was relaid—no problems were encountered this time. There's photographic evidence of a 64xx on the Seaton branch (IIRC, the same one that Bachmann produced in BR green livery in the first batch) but no evidence of its use elsewhere.

2 x 64XX (maybe 3*) 6412 and 6430 IIRC and the possible was *6400, but really not sure about that, and were used with the Auto Trailers from February 1963 for about 6 months I think. Then the Bog Carts arrived  and failed frequently (:biggrin_mini:) hence the 14XXs in early 65 for a month or so as mentioned by John.

P

• RMweb Gold

Also:

The Seaton, Sidmouth and Lyme Regis Branches, by Colin Maggs & Peter Paye, Oakwood. 1979.

Plus, a solo volume The Axminster & Lyme Regis Light Railway by Mr Paye, also published by Oakwood, in 2015.

The Axminster & Lyme Regis Light Railway, by Lewis Cozens, Self-published, 1952. If you are lucky enough to find a copy, I stumbled across mine wholly by chance (and without prior knowledge of its existence) on a model railway exhibition club sales stand). As is to be expected, this mainly covers the LSWR and SR periods. 

Provisionally recommended. The Axminster to Lyme Regis Railway, by E.J. Rose, Kingfisher 1982. Much of interest, but a fair few errors, too. It contains some material (notably timetables etc.) that appears to have been lifted from Mr Cozens' little monograph, but is rather easier to come by.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Also:

The Seaton, Sidmouth and Lyme Regis Branches, by Colin Maggs & Peter Paye, Oakwood. 1979.

Plus, a solo volume The Axminster & Lyme Regis Light Railway by Mr Paye, also published by Oakwood, in 2015.

The Axminster & Lyme Regis Light Railway, by Lewis Cozens, Self-published, 1952. If you are lucky enough to find a copy, I stumbled across mine wholly by chance (and without prior knowledge of its existence) on a model railway exhibition club sales stand). As is to be expected, this mainly covers the LSWR and SR periods. 

Provisionally recommended. The Axminster to Lyme Regis Railway, by E.J. Rose, Kingfisher 1982. Much of interest, but a fair few errors, too. It contains some material (notably timetables etc.) that appears to have been lifted from Mr Cozens' little monograph, but is rather easier to come by.

John

Brilliant, John, thats a few more books to add to my list. Do you know if any contain any information or photos re goods working in the 1950/60s?

Cheers 

Bob C

• RMweb Gold

The Lyme Regis goods brake for many years was a LSWR Road van, not the type Kernow are planning, but the heavier one that went on to be built also for the ROD and, post WW1, became distributed among a number of pre-group railways in both England and Scotland.

The "New Vans" as per the recent Hornby model also featured and the final dedicated brake was a 15-ton "Pillbox" which is available as a kit from Cambrian. Photos of the first and last mentioned have appeared in various books and show the allocation painted on the bodywork. I'm not certain whether any "New Vans" carried this or if they were just visitors.

John

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, phil_sutters said:

I have checked my dad's photos of the Lyme Regis branch to see if I could spot a goods brake, but I couldn't. All the locos were Radials except for one Ivatt. In this album there are also some Bluebell Radials. 

Thanks Phil

There's some nice shots in your collection, thanks for the link.

Bob C

• Friendly/supportive 1