Kit ID anyone please

Can anyone identify this recent swapmeet acquisition for me please? Obviously LNER at some time but can't spot anything obvious in the Micheal Harris books I have. Looks a bit Ian Kirkish but not sure. Also any offers on where I may be able to find a roof for it.

P1000966.JPG

Edited by Poor Old Bruce
To add photo

The sides are the brake compartment from an Ian Kirk non-corridor brake third, one of the very early kits with solebar moulded integrally with the sides.  The ends are from the same source.  The underframe is from something else entirely, and the ensemble, I should have thought, is something from the builder's own imagination.

D

Edited by Darryl Tooley
typo
  • Agree 1

One slight problem with that is that the tops of the sides are radiused to match the end profile, doubtless to provide a contact surface for the plastikard roof originally supplied with the early Ian Kirk kits.  I had many hours of innocent entertainment cutting this away so I could fit the MJT aluminium LNER coach roof.

D

Guilty as charged.   It is half of one of my very early brake thirds.  Perhaps someone else somewhere has a four wheel four compartment coach from the other half. I know some people did. The simplest way to stop something like this bowing inwards is to put a couple of partitions in but shortened so that they don't show through the toplights.  Interesting to see how it turns out. The mouldings must be over 45 years old by now.

best wishes,

Ian 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Solebar trussing removed, roof profile lowered and new roof made. Went to town (probably overboard) on roof fittings. I have also found that whoever built the vehicle used wagon axleguards (for 12mm wheels) and fitted 14mm carriage wheels which means that it rides a bit high, I will live with that for now.

I have wondered if I should have painted the roof white as many teak vehicles were and am now pondering what colour to paint the body. Options are maroon for early BR days or leave it the moulded plastic colour with a good dose of dirt to run with my rake of Slater's six-wheelers in 1920s early LMS livery.

P1000986.JPG.9c008f06e7c980df45cf570c7070b129.JPGP1000985.JPG.9ea7ba4e83194283390d15be694c363c.JPGP1000984.JPG.d0e63448a09d4bb20b2393a56a0f7c56.JPG

• Like 4