Screeching Bachmann 37 (new)

Spireblade

I have just bought the new Class 37 Colas version. It seems to run fine but when going down gradients it screeches and squeels. I have oiled the parts indicated on the sheet provided but makes no difference. On the flat or up hill gradients it is absolutely fine. 

Thanks in advance.

I agree with Andy Mac.

I purchased a new Bachmann 37 recently and it squealed and screeched terribly.

It was so noisy at first I was reluctant to run it in on the rolling road.  It was so bad I thought some plastic gears may be grinding.

But then I thought "what the heck - if it doesn't improve I'll just return it to the retailer".  I certainly wasn't going to start opening it up (it was a £230 sound fitted one!).

Lo and behold after half an hour running in each direction (as per the manufacturers instructions) it got quieter and quieter.  It's now the smoothest loco I have!

Not saying it will definitely cure yours, but it should be your first course of action.

Let us know how you get on.

Edited by cravensdmufan
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

I was in the process of running it in when it developed the screech. I oiled it as per the instructions and let it run again. It has improved but occasionally it starts again, always on the same bit of track. I'll keep on with it and see what happens. I have 4 Bachmann 37's and this one is the only one I have had this issue with.

Thanks for your comments.

9 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Any joy with the more running time required suggestions?

If the trouble is still present despite some hours of accrued running time, does it happen with just one of the ends of the loco leading down the gradient, or is it both?

It had been running maybe 45 minutes when it started, and reversing it dosen't seem to cure it. It's always on a downwards gradient.  It's running again now and it seems fine, I'll just see how it goes. If it continues I'll have to contact the seller. Fingers crossed it will be ok.

38 minutes ago, Spireblade said:

After about 15 minutes it is now screeching away, in both directions, and not just on the slopes.....worrying.

It might be an idea to have Bachmann service dept take a look and get the loco serviced and running sweet for you under warranty if it is economical for you to get it to them

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2020 at 12:27, Spireblade said:

All swapped and all is well with the replacement. Top service from the retailer, The Deltic Preservation Society who brought the replacement to my door. 

Always had good service from those guys!!

There good to buy from and look after you..