Walking Britain's Lost Railways S2

Hroth

@Ian Hargrave Hello Ian, I was following your post of 11 February up above. Vale of Neath was out of my patch - however, Aberdare/Abercynon was my area. I was only interested as I was the designer of new roads in the Valleys, that have now been built over a number of old railway track beds (unfortunately).

Cheers,

Philip

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, Philou said:

@Ian Hargrave Hello Ian, I was following your post of 11 February up above. Vale of Neath was out of my patch - however, Aberdare/Abercynon was my area. I was only interested as I was the designer of new roads in the Valleys, that have now been built over a number of old railway track beds (unfortunately).

Cheers,

Philip

My local station was Aberaman on the Aberdare (ex-TV) LL  to Abercynon branch line.This closed to passenger traffic in IIRC 1963.I remember the branch initially being worked by a B set with odd strengthener with run round at Abercynon.In 1953 cometh the auto train with 64XX which on arrival at Abercynon had to be got smartly out of the way back up the branch to await the arrival of the connecting Merthyr bound train coming up from Barry.In early 1958 dmu replaced all services but it still had to back out of the way,given the odd configuration of Abercynon station.

The High Level line....the ex GW line more usually known as the Vale of Neath...ran the other side of the valley parallel to its Low Level neighbour....via Cwmbach,Mountain Ash etc,until it passed through the tunnel to Quakers Yard.

I believe the present Aberdare station is on the site of the old ,quaintly split down/up platform High Level one.

All of which was a long,long time ago.

Warm wishes,Ian

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

I missed part 6 as it broadcast on 5 Select  but I note the series is being repeated on Wednesdays at 7pm with part 4 Deeside on last night so maybe it will be broadcast on the 26th. Alternatively it seems to be available through My5

The Deeside programme wasn't shown, it was replaced with the one covering Tavistock - Okehampton.

Adrian