Inspection Saloon identification help please ?

muddys-blues

Hello, I have a grainy black & white picture off the Derby Sulzers website, I am trying to identify the type of Inspection saloon coach that is being used, any info would be gratefully received, also  I must mention the picture is a download form the said site to try and avoid any Copyright issues.

According to the details on the picture information The Saloon coach is attached to a Class 24 loco, I am trying to find out whether the Saloon is an LMS build or a Q13, its difficult to tell off the image

Thanks in advance

Craig.

inspection saloon.jpg

Hi Craig,

Enlarging the print on the tablet, shows that it is definitely an ex LMS Diag 2046 Inspection Saloon, the give away is the centre drop light, never a feature of the ex GWR Q13 Inspection Saloons.

As to a running number, who knows, but certainly starts DM 450xx

sorry that I cannot be more accurate.

kind regards

Mike

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ressaldar said:

Hi Craig,

Enlarging the print on the tablet, shows that it is definitely an ex LMS Diag 2046 Inspection Saloon, the give away is the centre drop light, never a feature of the ex GWR Q13 Inspection Saloons.

As to a running number, who knows, but certainly starts DM 450xx

sorry that I cannot be more accurate.

kind regards

Mike

Mike, many thanks for your indepth answer, that was a great help.

Best regards

Craig.

TDM45026 was noted as based at Walsall in the 1983/84 RCTS Coaching Stock book. Looking on Departmentals.com there are sitings at Birmingham New Street in 1978 and 1981. Still a bit of a gap back to the photo (circa 1970 - 1974) but it may be that saloon.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Flood said:

TDM45026 was noted as based at Walsall in the 1983/84 RCTS Coaching Stock book. Looking on Departmentals.com there are sitings at Birmingham New Street in 1978 and 1981. Still a bit of a gap back to the photo (circa 1970 - 1974) but it may be that saloon.

Thanks Graham, you always come up trumps with info as well, it’s appreciated 

Best regards

Craig

• Like 1

On 15/02/2020 at 17:54, muddys-blues said:

Thanks for the relies Chaps, a further question, does any one know when the numbering for these Saloons changed form M45029M to DM45029 ?

Thanks in advance again.

Craig.

From 1978 when I worked for BR it was always DM45029 in Blue grey till it later got Inter City livery.  May have changed when repainted from maroon.

On 15/02/2020 at 17:54, muddys-blues said:

• Informative/Useful 1

10 hours ago, Merfyn Jones said:

From 1978 when I worked for BR it was always DM45029 in Blue grey till it later got Inter City livery.  May have changed when repainted from maroon.

Hi Merfyn thanks for that, this link "hopefully it will work" from Paul Bartlett's excellent site shows M45029M still numbered as M45029M in August 77, so it's around the period we are discussing, as I am modelling 1970 - 1977 I'll go with the M45029M numbering, I think I'll be safe.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/inspectionsaloon

Many thanks for the contributions.

Craig.

Edited by muddys-blues

1 hour ago, muddys-blues said:

Hi Merfyn thanks for that, this link "hopefully it will work" from Paul Bartlett's excellent site shows M45029M still numbered as M45029M in August 77, so it's around the period we are discussing, as I am modelling 1970 - 1977 I'll go with the M45029M numbering, I think I'll be safe.

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/inspectionsaloon

Many thanks for the contributions.

Craig.

Narrowed down a bit as I found a photo in July 1979 with DM45029, so renumbered between 77 & 79

• Like 1