Birmingham New Street - What did the station pilot do?

ian

• RMweb Gold

Through the 70s and 80s (and quite possibly beyond) there was often an 08 acting as station pilot at New Street.

Given that most trains passed through or run-round and returned from whence they came what did it actually do?

Edited by ian

• RMweb Gold

There was a large amount of parcels traffic, especially in the evenings that happened at New Street.  I remember in the late 70’s, I missed my connection to Bristol at New Street and the next one was stupid o’clock in the morning and being amazed by the huge amount of parcels traffic that took place early in the morning.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, jools1959 said:

There was a large amount of parcels traffic, especially in the evenings that happened at New Street.  I remember in the late 70’s, I missed my connection to Bristol at New Street and the next one was stupid o’clock in the morning and being amazed by the huge amount of parcels traffic that took place early in the morning.

I managed to get shunted between platforms by it whilst in a sleeping car being transferred between trains.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 hours ago, ian said:

Through the 70s and 80s (and quite possibly beyond) there was often an 08 acting as station pilot at New Street.

Given that most trains passed through or run-round and returned from whence they came what did it actually do?

One Thursday in 1976 it managed to bring down the overhead wires at the south end of the station! The Paignton -Newcastle train was cancelled and a substitute ancient DMU gave me the roughest of high speed rides up to Derby. Sat over a bogie, every point and crossing gave the feeling that all four wheels were airborne, what the rally boys call "yumping". There was a delay at Derby before the next substitute to Sheffield so I found the bar. Ditto in the steel city. Eventually I ended up in Wakefield Kirkgate. Unfortunately dad was waiting at Westgate so I found the bar and phoned home. Having run out of cash the landlord cashed a cheque and, when two hours later dad arrived I was well lubricated. Not to be left out, dad insisted we call in at the club for a quick brace before heading home. Happy days!

Edited by doilum
Accuracy
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

54 minutes ago, ian said:

Thanks, every time I passed through it seemed to be dozing quietly - obviously resting from the night's activities.

I think most 08s go about their business out of sight from most passing passengers.

I joke with a few friends about us never seeing them actually move...so on a layout, an motorless 08 would be perfectly fine.

• Like 3
  • Funny 2

7 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I think most 08s go about their business out of sight from most passing passengers.

I joke with a few friends about us never seeing them actually move...so on a layout, an motorless 08 would be perfectly fine.

There used to be a pilot at Stafford sat in the south bay, never saw it move but sometimes it had a BG attached and sometimes it didn't.

It was always part of a trainspotting trip to wander over to see which 08 was there in the ‘80s.  From memory, either parked in platform 12 or in the through road around platform 10?  Sometimes also a 50 or a 47 in that part whereas the electrics nearly always by the signal box.

• Thanks 1

I think I can just about remember the 08 at New Street in the late 80's.  Long gone of course, but as something of a compensation out on the Stour Valley route the carriage sidings/depot just before Smethwick has a verrry nice Railfreight Red-Stripe livery example as yard pilot- it was certainly there on my last visit to Brum in November '19.  Never seen it moving there either, it's always parked by the fuel tank on the end of the site.

On 09/02/2020 at 22:46, jools1959 said:

I used to see it (late '70s/early '80s) during the daytime taking off single BG's (I think - never did take much notice of coaches) from trains & put them in Platform 12 for loading/unloading, even on a Saturday. Later on the coach might be reattached to another train for departure. The loco would make quite a rumble as it went through the station, & some drivers were clearly out to break the Land Speed Record for a light-engine Gronk.... 

Edited by F-UnitMad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Wickham Green said:

it's normally electrics that bring down the wires 'cos they have funny pantomime things on top ............ how'd a diesel manage it ?

I think it may have missed it's brakes on that little siding it usually sat on. Any way it had run into one of the gantries and brought down the wires. I suppose that today the H&S folk would have shut the whole station until the weekend. As it was I guess the wreckage was cleared and diesels were running through before midnight.

18 hours ago, Ben B said:

I think I can just about remember the 08 at New Street in the late 80's.  Long gone of course, but as something of a compensation out on the Stour Valley route the carriage sidings/depot just before Smethwick has a verrry nice Railfreight Red-Stripe livery example as yard pilot- it was certainly there on my last visit to Brum in November '19.  Never seen it moving there either, it's always parked by the fuel tank on the end of the site.

Soho depot; was originally for fuelling and stabling DMMUs, but has recently been rebuilt to service EMUs.

Returning to the o/t; people who travelled during the day were largely unaware how much mail and parcels traffic there was. I worked a few twilight shifts at Bristol TM for the Post Office; after about 21:00, the only bodies to be seen were BR and PO staff, but the platforms would be full of BRUTES and barrows laiden with mailbags and parcels. Originating vans would be loaded, then placed in the centre roads to await attachment to main-line services.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Fat Controller said:

Soho depot; was originally for fuelling and stabling DMMUs, but has recently been rebuilt to service EMUs.

Soho stabled EMUs from opening for the March 1967 timetable. 304 sets from Crewe/Manchester and 310 sets from Bletchley were outstabled there for the Birmingham local services. 

Originally the depot was limited to stabling, cleaning, fuelling of DMUs and minor day to day tasks. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, doilum said:

I think it may have missed it's brakes on that little siding it usually sat on. Any way it had run into one of the gantries and brought down the wires. I suppose that today the H&S folk would have shut the whole station until the weekend. As it was I guess the wreckage was cleared and diesels were running through before midnight.

Which is what a Thames Turbo did on an ECS move at Paddington not so long ago....

12 minutes ago, LBRJ said:

A bit O/T (or rather Off Location) it don't seem that long ago that an 08 used to add a coach or two to the Up Sleeper at Plymouth....but I bets its best part of 15 years gone by now.

Didn't they also shorten trains heading into Cornwall in the pre-HST days including removing the buffet?  

8 hours ago, doilum said:

Like they did when that Turbo hit a gantry outside Paddington.