NCE Power Cab Switch on

John Tanner

Having just created a simple test/programming track I am now trying to use my power cab. 

When I plug the handset in it comes up with the message 'NCE PROCAB V1.3 CAB ADDRESS =01'

Whatever I do I cannot get the normal display up as per page 1 of the manual.  e.g. 'LOC: 003  time FWD:  000   -------------'

Anyone had this problem and been able to clear it. I have plugged the handset into the left hand socket when the two are above the red led, although that does not appear to be on. If I plug the handset into the right hand one the normal screen comes up.

Any thoughts would be a help. 

Can mean that there is a short circuit somewhere. I have one recently when I rewired the odd little two pin plug that connects from the plug box to the track feed. I'd hastily rewired that and there was a whisker of wire between the conductors where I'd not been too careful pushing the wires into the plug. It took ages to find. I had exactly the symptom that you are describing

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Sol said:

You are using the flat 6 wire cable , not the 4 conductor curly cord?

The lack of an illuminated red LED could certainly suggest that.

It might also be worth checking the pins in the socket(s) on the panel (PCP) you plug the PowerCab into.

What happens when you disconnect the track connection from the back of the PCP?

Something in the back of my mind says that the cab addresses for the PowerCab have a range limitation and I'm not sure that address 01 is a valid one.

3 hours ago, Ray H said:

Something in the back of my mind says that the cab addresses for the PowerCab have a range limitation and I'm not sure that address 01 is a valid one.

You are correct, Ray.  The system won't work unless the Cab Address is set at 2.

To change the cab address, unplug the handset from the panel, hold down the SELECT LOCO button and reconnect the handset.  When the cursor flashes under the 0 of 01, press 2 and then ENTER.  Re-boot the system and the cab address should now be 2.

Edited by BromsMods
Updated with procedure for changing cab address
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, johnb said:

I have three Powercabs all set to different cab addresses, the original at 2 and the others at 4 & 5. All work quite happily.

I too have a number of different throttles, some PowerCabs and some ProCabs and they have individual addresses. However they're only used together when they're connected to an SB5 or a PowerPro.

The usable range on cab addresses is, as far as I am aware, different in different circumstances. Are the throttle addresses you have quoted working when the main command station/power supply is one of the PowerCabs connected to a PCP or is it when you're using something else as the main command station/track power supply.

My understanding is that the OP is talking about a single PowerCab that he's connecting to a PCP which is (again, I believe) the only time the red LED will be illuminated.

Can I thank you gentlemen for your help. 

I have had to remove the PCP from its mounting and it then worked. The red LED illuminated and stayed on. Will need to reconnect to the power bus, one lead has come off the copper strip so will re-apply and test again, after amending mount.

This a training project so all good experience.

Again, thanks for the advice and support. 

20200120_113108.jpg

• Like 1